Last Epoch is POE Killer now

Ruling is a role, Jerle. It ends when the play ends. I will no more die then than an actor playing King Lear would die when the curtain falls. :)

Whoa. I just used 'then' and 'than' one after the other. Correctly. I know tongue-fu.

I have been dwelling on LE and trade. Which is probably just going to grind your gears since I really should post that sort of thing on their forum...but eh, its probably a bad idea anyway.

So I'll share my thoughts here, where they are easily ignored and not going to hurt anyone.

Firstly, it should not have unrestricted trade. Straight up. That is PoE's greatest success and its greatest problem. Its something I genuinely dont think EHG could handle. GGG barely manage it but they have to. EHG should not open a can of worms that really doesn't need to be opened.

Their crafting system fulfills the promise PoE made but failed to keep: white items form the basis of very useful, potent gear. The upgrades, ripped from magical items, are the key to all this.

So what I'd imagine as a unique trade system appropriate to the brilliance of LE's crafting system would be promote trade of upgrades (and white items if need be) but prohibit trade of crafted gear. This way everyone has access to the potential of power but cannot buy it outright. Crafted items become personal achievements, goals unto themselves. And when the player outgrows said item, they can break it down and sell the upgrades if they want, or put them towards a replacement.

Uniques can and should always be tradeable . In ARPGs they represent a reliable factor in character design. One 'pelta lunata' is the same as any other. As long as they never become Best In Slot vs a crafted item, they are fine.

The underlying point here is that LE would be very wise not to make the same colossal mistake PoE made when it made meta build mimicry not only doable down to the last item slot but also sometimes mandatory. What you want to retain character diversity despite the inevitability of build similarity is a mixture of common elements and the inimitable personal touches. LE presents the common, easily copied elements in its skill trees and massive pool of item upgrades. These are the building blocks. I think the item creation system should be less about making clones and more about personalised tools of common function.

Making crafted items untradeable is how you achieve this.

There are many swords but this one is mine...if you will.

Now this is all based purely on what the game was like last time i played, which was the rogue update. And maybe EHG have already nixed this idea, or someone else has proposed it. I don't think it's particularly original, but anyway...That sort of trade system would interest me very much. Building things is always more rewarding than just buying them, especially when its presented as a key part of the game.

And I think an ARPG that makes item creation just as important and meaningful as finding or buying them taps into something that lends ARPGs, if not all games, serious long term appeal.

After all, GGG keep trying to put meaningful crafting into PoE...but they know they can't because unrestricted trading makes it far, far too hard to balance.

LE proves deterministic crafting is doable as much more than just a gimmick. Now it needs to stick to that strength and not undermine it by making deterministically crafted items a currency of their own.

I hope EHG are aware of what they are sitting on with that crafting system of theirs. Leveraging it into something really new and satisfying could easily be their way out of being an also ran.
Currently playing on:
Ps5 - - Predecessor, Warhammer 40k Inquisitor, Dungeon Encounters, Assassins Creed Origins, Deep Rock Galactic/Remnant 2 (MP w mates);
Tablet - - Buriedbornes 2, Dawncaster, Loop Hero, Fate GO;
and,
PC - - Word and winamp ~_^
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Sep 10, 2021, 11:46:45 AM
Just came here after reading poe 2 will launch before/around 2024.
this is likely coming the same time as D4.

At least i'll have a chance to buy a new pc at better prices by then.
I do hope it gets better and put up a good competition... But right now there are no action rpgs even close with as much depth as PoE... unfortunately, because I'm not really fond of the recent changes.

LE is good as middle ground between brain dead D3 and spooky hard PoE tho!
After about 20 hours in LE I can say it's no where close to giving poe a competitor it's years away from even being a solid game.

Wolcen is closer and that's not saying much.

If Grim Dawn had proper multi-player and economy that would be the best choice but they took their game in another direction.
(سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س
Path of Exile has a metric shitton of issue that will never get fixed, but at least it's a playable game.

Last epoch is an utter joke, and will never be an actual game with progression and a clear, meaningful end-game - never.
Undecember looks promising and its coming this year
poe clone
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."
"
_wuv_ wrote:
poe clone

Yes, its all I need but without GGG's "vision"
"
Firstly, it should not have unrestricted trade. Straight up. That is PoE's greatest success and its greatest problem. Its something I genuinely dont think EHG could handle. GGG barely manage it but they have to. EHG should not open a can of worms that really doesn't need to be opened.

Well finally someone here actually admitted that even Last Epoch probably won't be able to do what many people (not saying you're one of them) seem to want PoE to do - have unrestricted and frictionless trade of any and all items, and even to have a far more accessible crafting system to go along with that as well.

I wish the LE devs the best, but if they implement your system, while also keeping their more accessible crafting system, then that definitely doesn't vindicate these people (not that that was your intention, but it is theirs).

It's basically an acknowledgement that you can't have an ARPG with everything.

Of course some of them also do mention they're willing to ditch this aspect of the game or the other, but then they run into the problem that they no longer represent anyone but themselves, as people's preferences in the game differ.
"
Exile009 wrote:

have unrestricted and frictionless trade of any and all items, and even to have a far more accessible crafting system to go along with that as well.

POE trade is not frictionless. In fact, friction is the most complained about aspect of POE trading. So I dont know what you're smoking.

Re Charan suggetion, I could live with it. But the devs seems bend on trying some strange randomised bazaar system... I dont have a good feeling based off how they are describing it. But we'll see.
IGN: JerleNecroDD/JerleNecroRuthless
Harvest is the BEST league EVER. Deterministic crafting ftw.
How will POE2 and POE coexist?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info