'Legacy' items policy, re:patch 0.10.5

"
KoTao wrote:
If you can buff current volls, you can nerf current silverbranches. That reply didnt make much sense.

the argument someone brought up, that devs can easily change a fixed but wont change a variable (to be rerolled with divine orb) stat on existing items does make sense for me.

"
Chris wrote:
There are already time-limited things in the economy like Demigod's Presences and Triumphs.

There are many, many types of changes that we will have to do over the years that will leave items in a state they can't currently spawn in. This is very difficult to avoid, unfortunately.

You're on the right path :) Gear obsoletion, I can see you now, add another MMO layer to add to the confusion.
placeholder for creative sig
if you cant make the same changes RETROACTIVELY to all versions of the unique, then dont change them at all..

its obvious why, been stated already, and you know in the back of your mind its not a good idea
Things with "increased" and "decreased" in the tooltip are additive ... where as "More" or "Less" are multiplicative ...
"
Moosifer wrote:
I don't understand the change in the first place.

Races.

And it doesn't bother me that much cause it's a low lvl item, only would bother me if I was some sort of collector. But I agree that it's a bad precedent.
Someone should set up a pull about this decision, GGG needs to hear our voices about what we think about "legacy" items.
Last edited by KibaArtist on Apr 5, 2013, 6:43:16 AM
"
wiggin wrote:
It starts with Silverbranch, which doesn't do much. But it will add and add and one day it will be complete mess.

Now you're just talking out your ass. Stop pretending you know what will happen with this game.
Just stopping by to express my thanks to Chris! Too often game devs allow the players' snap judgement to influence things!
"
pneuma wrote:
I agree with the majority opinion of the thread. Legacy items are a really bad idea. If the change is important enough that it has to be made, it should affect everyone, not just the unlucky people that got here too late.

If this is borne out of concerns for "race play", then it should be removed from races. It's not much different than finding any other hard-carry item early on in a race.

Luckily Silverbranch is only really used for twinking low level characters and for starting a Poison Arrow build until a higher level +2 or +3 bow can be found. If this goes through, I hope it doesn't set a precedent that will be disastrous if a high level item is found to be "too strong" in the future.

The comparison to a nigh-cosmetic race reward is terrible.

This is pretty much all I have to say on the subject.

DO NOT WANT legacy gear. just no.
1337 21gn17ur3
"
If you can buff current volls, you can nerf current silverbranches. That reply didnt make much sense.

Actually I think the text stays the same but the effect on that mod changed:

So in Pseudocode of the mod on the server looks like that:

Prepatch:

for(Int j=0; j<totalhits;j++)
if(Attack[j].critroll==HitEffect)
{
AddPowercharge();
return;
}

PostPatch:

for(Int j=0; j<totalhits;j++)
if(Attack[j].critroll==HitEffect)
AddPowercharge();

On the other side the skill gem argument is valid because the changes affect all gems.

"
If legacy items exist, I want my legacy Shockwave Totem back. The one with 5% crit chance, aoe that covered the screen, and hit twice as fast for twice as much damage as the current one. :)

I want legacy skeleton gems back one cast 5 Skeletons good times ;D
I could never test Remote Mine with Shockwave Totem either so bring them back too :p

"
Like in d2 I had an absolutely insane dual leech ring from like 1.2 that ended up getting duped 1000s of times once I finally traded it off.

You are talking about "the level 18 Dread Knot" sorry to inform you that the ring was an imported rare.
The ring had resist mods that were level 36 iirc prelod.

"
While your at it, you may want to hoard some of these because these are sure to be nerfed aswell.

requires lv 7 without the gems

Charan will monitor your posts now puts you on probation for tiny flames,if he reads you want to nerf his unique:p

Personally, I'm not sure how I feel about having "legacy" items. I'm not too concerned about it right now, but I see how it could potentially be a problem.

But anyway, I wanted to pose a question to the others in this thread:

What if they changed Silverbranch so that it could no longer drop?

And then what if they created a new similar unique that had only +1 to bow gems?

This seems to be logically identical to the change they are making, except the new unique has the same name. Would this still be a problem simply because you can no longer obtain an item that doesn't drop any more?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info