Puncture

I'm not talking about improving the UI or a major overhaul of how tooltips work. I'm talking about the fact that Puncture's interaction with the passive nodes is totally ignored. Fire trap's burning ground, searing bond both have their tooltip affected by DOT passives and fire damage. Viper Strike and Poison Arrowalso have their tooltip showing the modified damage. The fact that Puncture doesn't means that they either forgot this skill exists, or they intentionally left it out from the DOT changes without addressing it.

Viper Strike, Poison Arrow, Righteous Fire, Searing Bond and Fire Trap all have proper tooltip damage. ONLY Puncture has been left out.

Just because they made a good game doesn't allow them to be either lazy or intentionally deceptive, especially when it's not a difficult task.
"
Illypsus_BLoB wrote:
Viper Strike and Poison Arrowalso have their tooltip showing the modified damage.

Oh really.

RF also doesn't show modified Damage over Time.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Dec 22, 2013, 8:58:49 AM
I doubt bleed double dips into any of the "increase physical damage" options simply from a mitigation perspective.

With fire or chaos DoT it's a simple case of scaling against the victim's resistance. If the burn is 100/sec, target has 50% fire resist, burn applied is 50/sec.
If bleed is 100/sec, how do you calculate the mitigation? Resistance is available to everyone, but not everyone has armour (from a player perspective). Also the armour formula is incompatible with a DoT.

Bleed from puncture can only be mitigated on the hit that causes it.

With my char's current setup (without Vuln curse taken into account), a moving victim will bleed for 233.9% of the phys damage dealt per second. To get an equal % scaling from an ignite would require a total of 1169% increase fire, burning & DoT damage (20%/sec x 1169%).

In short, Puncture isn't missing out. It's current arrangement allows it to do some very serious damage. It also works different enough from other DoTs like VS, PA, FT & SB to have it's own set of sub-rules as the DoT value is 100% dependent on the physical hit. That may make it similar to an ignite, but an ignite always has a base of 20% per second, a moving bleed starts at 60%.

(Regarding the tool-tip, a good point is raised about how FT, PA & others change from passive & gear increases. Would be good to see this carried onto Puncture)
Tin foil hats are a lie propagated by the aluminium industry.
While you might be right that it could be intentional that it physical damage doesn't scale bleed damage directly, it would be completely opposite to what the patchnotes suggested. So the question on how it works should at least be answered.

I myself haven't tested it though, I just picked up on what I have read in this thread so far.
IGN: DatInternet
"
Rufus82 wrote:
I doubt bleed double dips into any of the "increase physical damage" options simply from a mitigation perspective.

With fire or chaos DoT it's a simple case of scaling against the victim's resistance. If the burn is 100/sec, target has 50% fire resist, burn applied is 50/sec.
If bleed is 100/sec, how do you calculate the mitigation? Resistance is available to everyone, but not everyone has armour (from a player perspective). Also the armour formula is incompatible with a DoT.

Bleed from puncture can only be mitigated on the hit that causes it.

With my char's current setup (without Vuln curse taken into account), a moving victim will bleed for 233.9% of the phys damage dealt per second. To get an equal % scaling from an ignite would require a total of 1169% increase fire, burning & DoT damage (20%/sec x 1169%).

In short, Puncture isn't missing out. It's current arrangement allows it to do some very serious damage. It also works different enough from other DoTs like VS, PA, FT & SB to have it's own set of sub-rules as the DoT value is 100% dependent on the physical hit. That may make it similar to an ignite, but an ignite always has a base of 20% per second, a moving bleed starts at 60%.

(Regarding the tool-tip, a good point is raised about how FT, PA & others change from passive & gear increases. Would be good to see this carried onto Puncture)

I don't actually care about having "Increased Physical Damage" double-dipping into Puncture. In fact, I don't want it to be, because that would make Puncture broken. The only thing that I want, is for the tooltip to show whether Increased DOT passives affect Puncture, because right now the tooltip is not showing anything and it's incredibly annoying.
Still would like some clarification on whether (and how) the DoT changes in 1.02 affected the puncture DoT damage.

Edit: Btw., does someone know from what time the puncture damage values are in the wiki? They don't seem to be right anymore (http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Puncture#Gem_level_progression).
Last edited by Xybb on Dec 29, 2013, 7:09:04 AM
"
Xybb wrote:
Still would like some clarification on whether (and how) the DoT changes in 1.02 affected the puncture DoT damage.

Edit: Btw., does someone know from what time the puncture damage values are in the wiki? They don't seem to be right anymore (http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Puncture#Gem_level_progression).

Anyway Puncture has been stealth nerfed. At Level 15, the wiki says it should be at 21.7% bleed with additional 108.3 when moving for a total of 130%.

In game, my Level 15 Puncture is showing 19.3% with 96.7% moving bleed for a total of 116%.

So, a total of around 11% damage nerf on bleeding.
Noticed that aswell, the puncture damage seems to be a lot lower than what the wiki said. I already adjusted some values for level 16 and 17.

Why wasn't there any notes on a puncture nerf within a patch note?
"
Xybb wrote:
Noticed that aswell, the puncture damage seems to be a lot lower than what the wiki said. I already adjusted some values for level 16 and 17.

Here are the values for the next two levels, if you want to update:
18: 22.7 / 113.5
19: 23.8 / 119.7
Thanks, updated those aswell. Level 15 to 19 should now show the correct values.

Would still appreciate a word from the devs about the changes to puncture ~.~ .

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info