So is Armour useless or not?

I am working on a ranged class and have a question about armour. I understand that armour is pretty useless for saving you from the big hits like Vaal's slam, but does that mean that I should not bother with trying to get good armour and armour passives for general play?

My build goes quite near a whole bunch of armour passives, but don't want to waste points on them if at the end of the day they aren't going to save me when I need them most.

What should I do?

So .... when the armor really needs to count, and work, it doesnt? Seems like a great concept.
GGG - Why you no?
Until armor affects big hits, I'll never use it again.

On closed beta, I had 4000 hps 15k armor(yes 15,000) without flasks.

Here I have 4600 hps, 2k armor. Almost the exact same build as I had in closed beta.

Here in open beta, I tank way better. The extra 600 hps is very noticeable. However, the loss of 13k armor isn't noticeable at all. Armor is worthless in my opinion. The only good thing about armor is its cool to say "hey I have 15k armor", but that is where the advantages end.
Armor isn't exactly worthless, but it's fairly close. It'll help against bosses with large numbers of minions, but bosses themselves won't bother. However, it does work better the more evasion you have (since evasion reduces the chance that an attack will critical).
If I have two fish, and you have three fish, how many fish do we have?
None. These are MY fish.
"
JoannaDark wrote:
So .... when the armor really needs to count, and work, it doesnt? Seems like a great concept.

lmao! great way to put it :-)
“Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it.”
― Christopher Hitchens
My QoL List: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3279646
Why are always the same people complaining?

No armour is not good, but too much armour is a bit of a waste.

Moderation people. Everything in moderation.

Like Hellpyre said, get some Evasion too and evoid getting the REAL big hits (crit).
“Demons run when a good man goes to war"
Wait so armor doesn't work on boss fights?

WTF
"
Nonsensei436 wrote:

WTF

Sheesh.. this is how false info starts to spread.

Armor works the same no matter who you are fighting. Check the mechanics thread. The formula for damage reduction doesn't depend on if you are fighting a boss or not.
In Wraeclast, if someone tries to kill you... you just kill them right back.
"
Tygerwoody wrote:
Until armor affects big hits, I'll never use it again.

On closed beta, I had 4000 hps 15k armor(yes 15,000) without flasks.

Here I have 4600 hps, 2k armor. Almost the exact same build as I had in closed beta.

Here in open beta, I tank way better. The extra 600 hps is very noticeable. However, the loss of 13k armor isn't noticeable at all. Armor is worthless in my opinion. The only good thing about armor is its cool to say "hey I have 15k armor", but that is where the advantages end.

With your closed beta stats, you need to take a hit with raw damage (before armor) of 5000 to get 1-shot. With your open beta stats, you need to take a hit with raw damage of 4761 to get 1-shot. All other things equal, your CB build should be more tanky.

Once you start looking at smaller hits, your CB builds pulls ahead further: You lose 25% of your max life per hit (so getting 4-shot) if the raw damage is 1725 (CB) or 1298 (OB) per hit.

So while I don't disagree that armor is terrible against hard-hitting enemies, it's not quite as dramatic as you make it out to be.
"
Trapperkeeper wrote:
"
Nonsensei436 wrote:

WTF

Sheesh.. this is how false info starts to spread.

Armor works the same no matter who you are fighting. Check the mechanics thread. The formula for damage reduction doesn't depend on if you are fighting a boss or not.

And yet regardless of if its on a my mara with 45% mitigation or my ranger with 0 mitigation, overseer still brings me down to almost dead in one hit.

Something doesn't seem right.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info