RNG-itis: a cure without (notably) changing probability

"
Tarmalen wrote:
Just lower the drop chance of chromatics, a lot.

Now make each chromatic affect only one slot and you choose the color.

Same with fusings, lower drop rate a lot.

Each fusing only pertains to one link (make or break link depending on what player needs/wants)

Last but not least jewelers, lower the drop rate.

Each jeweler can make one slot.

You have now effectively removed RNG from ability layout. You can control the crafting with drop rates.

Also address the formulas from the vendors on those orbs. Make them a lot harder to get. I would rather spend an afternoon farming for one orb than have a mountain of them that I now have to click orb/item 1k times for a "chance".

An interesting approach, but this would make jewl/fus/chro too valuable to use on sub ilevel 60 items (which they almost are at this point). It might be best to simply add more/rarer kinds currency items that effect your sockets.
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
Last edited by anubite on Feb 25, 2013, 12:19:54 PM
"
anubite wrote:

An interesting approach, but this would make jewl/fus/chro too valuable to use on sub ilevel 60 items (which they almost are at this point). It might be best to simply add more/rarer kinds currency items that effect your sockets.

People are already learning that using orbs on gear below 60 is a waste. So they hoard a mountain of orbs until they start getting the end game gear that they envision to support their ability layout. The only difference is that currently people uninstall after they hit the wall or they head to the forums and flame wars ensue.
Last edited by Tarmalen on Feb 25, 2013, 12:25:51 PM
I agree with the OP. And for a good reason, I happen to be one of those abnormally unlucky people. And it's not just PoE, I tend to have exceptionally poor luck in any game that incorporates RNG (read: I did not get a single weapon drop from the Deathwing LFR despite running the raid every week from its release).

I had an amazing weekend in PoE though, I got 3 Alch drops (one of which actually had my name on it, I managed to click the others quickly!), a regal drop!, and a chaos orb. So rich! Only took 20 hours of gaming to accomplish.

Now, this is more than I've gotten during the entire OB (save for a single gcp). My gear is fairly crap, I can't afford better gear and seeing as how I get very few orbs I can't really craft much. My ES/Flicker Shadow was using a blue dagger until level 65 because it was the best thing I could get.

People who have moderate to good luck, tend be okay with heavy RNG, but with me it's kind of a running joke. Even my gf can't understand it as she gets drops in any game she plays (recent example is she just dinged 85 on her pally a couple weeks ago and is fully geared from LFR - whereas my rogue is still using heroic dungeon gear despite having dinged 85 a few days after MoP release, needless to say I couldn't take it anymore and stopped playing WoW ... again for the zillionth time).

I've gotten a few drops which I thought might be worth something, but after selling them, turns out not so much. Oh well, at least I'm very slowly building some currency and one day I will be able to craft or buy something that is still really poor in comparison to other's gear.

It's really very discouraging, but only people with constant bad luck know the feeling.
"
Chancellor wrote:
I agree with the OP. And for a good reason, I happen to be one of those abnormally unlucky people. And it's not just PoE, I tend to have exceptionally poor luck in any game that incorporates RNG (read: I did not get a single weapon drop from the Deathwing LFR despite running the raid every week from its release).

I had an amazing weekend in PoE though, I got 3 Alch drops (one of which actually had my name on it, I managed to click the others quickly!), a regal drop!, and a chaos orb. So rich! Only took 20 hours of gaming to accomplish.

Now, this is more than I've gotten during the entire OB (save for a single gcp). My gear is fairly crap, I can't afford better gear and seeing as how I get very few orbs I can't really craft much. My ES/Flicker Shadow was using a blue dagger until level 65 because it was the best thing I could get.

People who have moderate to good luck, tend be okay with heavy RNG, but with me it's kind of a running joke. Even my gf can't understand it as she gets drops in any game she plays (recent example is she just dinged 85 on her pally a couple weeks ago and is fully geared from LFR - whereas my rogue is still using heroic dungeon gear despite having dinged 85 a few days after MoP release, needless to say I couldn't take it anymore and stopped playing WoW ... again for the zillionth time).

I've gotten a few drops which I thought might be worth something, but after selling them, turns out not so much. Oh well, at least I'm very slowly building some currency and one day I will be able to craft or buy something that is still really poor in comparison to other's gear.

It's really very discouraging, but only people with constant bad luck know the feeling.

Do yourself a favor and hoard those orbs and trade for gear later on. Don't even think about using them on your current gear.
"
Courageous wrote:

Keep a record on the character for each drop chance that has failed to produce a unique. Once that count has reached N, chance to drop chance to a much higher number.

That's more like an MMO itemization bro, this is an ARPG.
IGN: Ziggro
I was getting ready to take a break but then I won the lottery and got this from a single Alc

This single item alone almost tripled my DPS and now let's me solo act 3 merciless pretty good for the most part

Anyway I usually play for an hour at a tine then I rolled this and did 12 hours straight almost because I was so happy.

Take that however you want but just for reference this is the single best item I've acquired myself since ob started
S L O W E R
Last edited by ampdecay on Feb 25, 2013, 2:08:41 PM
"
That's more like an MMO itemization bro, this is an ARPG.

The only MMO I played was Ultima Online, which in some ways was probably less sophisticated than POE. If some MMO has implemented a statistical regulator, in the way of Vegas, I view this as a good thing. I do not think you can invoke the words "ARPG," as if they belong to a Latin incantation invoking a god, and mean to accomplish anything.

Last edited by Courageous on Feb 25, 2013, 9:17:00 PM
"
Courageous wrote:
Summary: do not change probabilties, but instead apply a statistical regulator in order to assure a very high probability of the outcome once N events have occurred.

Not a good idea for a variety of reasons. Perhaps the simplest is that the more significant the perturbance is, the more it becomes a disincentive. Meaning the larger the number of things found by the increased factor "N+" the less things are found from the normal factor "N-". So once you find a drop that is distributed in this way, that's a pretty good time to call it a night and stop because the odds that you will get anything else are very poor until you accumulate enough failures that you've upgraded back up to the N+ probability.

OTOH, if the perturbance is small, then this is a lot of coding work and database workload, for something that doesn't even impact the game. In this case it's a non-solution.

The thing that suggestions of this nature miss is that in order to have epics highs in the game experience it is NECESSARY that there also be disappointing lows. Spending all game design effort on trying to mitigate the lows has the side effect of also mitigating the positives because they just aren't that distinct anymore. In the end everything turns into a homogenous mush that bores the user because nothing unpredictable ever happens. Also known as "over-engineering."

A lot of ideas sound good on paper. That's not enough for it to be a good idea in practice, though.
I'm sorry to say, but anubite, I think you haven't grasped at all what kind of system the OP is proposing and the foundations of maths behind the 'randomness' of strings of independent events.

I think systems like this should already be in place for probabilities as low as map drop rate and fusing because as the OP laid out very well, the events/probability - ratio is not very favourable, not even considering 1000+ used fusings a year; 'normalizing' the gaussian mountain would be very welcome. Saving a very limited 'history' of n events and adjusting current probability should help a lot without costing a lot of memory (I estimate even saving the last 2-5 events and having a very minor adjustment according to that would lessen the issue by a huge amount).
"
anubite wrote:
"
Courageous wrote:
"
This is all basic theory. I can cite sources if you want to argue about this.

To be candid, I don't particularly care for the way that you interact with me. It is rude. We need not interact further, insofar as you insist on continuing to be condescending.

I think if there's any tone in my words it's frustration, not condescension. You're the one who insisted he was a business person, turning this argument into something totally irrelevant and you're the one who implied that there was something wrong with GGG's random number generation. I've made... or tried to make logical arguments against either claim, not steer things in random directions to justify my points.

You're not the first person to bring up the "problems" with "randomness" in video games. Frankly, the concept irritates me. People play this word game of, "randomness makes games less fun", yet, most competitive games I know of thrive on randomness. When you kick a ball in soccer/football, the ball obeys the laws of physics, but the coefficient of friction is not evenly distributed on the field. There are also many other factors. If everything were streamlined; made predictable and assured by some grand formula, the game would grow stale.

So far, everyone including me has proposed solutions to the proposed problems of "randomness not being fun" but we have failed to justify why we deserve 5/6 linked items, why we deserve to easily get the right color sockets on our gear, why we deserve more uniques and more/better drops. I don't think we can justify that. It's up to GGG to determine what they think is fair because we as players will always want more than that.

You do realize that these games attempt the most to actually get rid of the random factor, and that the variables you are talking about are so small they are basically negligable?

Have a look at chess, where is the random in that?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info