RNG-itis: a cure without (notably) changing probability

"
anubite wrote:
Er, huh? Why are you telling them how to change RNG when you don't supply a reason to do it in the first place.

Evasion was changed because "randomly getting one shot" is not fun and a negative aspect so strong people did not want to use the defense stat in HC.
But randomness is otherwise, usually fun. There are times where you can get 4 uniques in a day, and times when you get nothing in 2 hours. It is these spurts and dry-spells that spice up a random game like POE.

If you make all RNG in the game deterministic, you just homogenize the experience.

There is nothing wrong with having pseudo-randomness. Hidden entropy checks to curve probability distributions and cut higher and lower percentiles are very good ideas.

I don't think most people understands how probability works and why abusing RNG for certain game mechanics is just bad.

"
The chance stays the same, but there are still dry spells and abundance periods. There are streaks of luck in randomness, it's just in the long term, things average out.

No, not necessarily, not for a single subject. Not at all.
Last edited by knac84 on Mar 17, 2013, 12:07:34 PM
"

I don't like this because sometimes you want something to be 3L with a lone socket. For example: on my boots I have BBR for spell totem/summon skeletons/faster casting and in my lone blue socket I have my curse. This is literally the only way I can do it because every single socket otherwise is in use.

This is a fair comment. I'm sure we could find some mechanic to allow that.
There is a important question in my mind, a bit off-topic with the post but related to it. A direct gameplay question, with the actual system there are too much people playing builds that they really don't like, farming builds that ruins the "coop feeling" of gameplaying. Fixing this situation will be a lot of more players playing their faouvorite builds and making partys for fun or efficiency... The coop and "rpg" feeling will be increased and all of us will be happier xD
Last edited by MildorDArkehn on Jul 9, 2013, 6:58:24 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info