Mechanics thread

Thanks Mark, this confirms the observation by devmoon who told on his stream that with 55% evasion Brutus never hits you twice in the row. This explains why rangers must use evasion for turbo Brutus.
Есть один путь - найух!
Note that the character screen shows your chance to evade a hit from an average monster of your level. Brutus is not average, and is a unique, so I'd be careful about hovering too close to the 50% line, as Brutus's chance to hit may be higher than the average mosnter the character screen compares against.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Dec 10, 2012, 1:27:32 AM
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/58039

Plz remmember to vote for PoE as best indie game.... In case you forgot. You dont need to be in beta to do this.
I don't understand something about Crit Chance.

Since Crit Chance is only checked Once when u cast a spell/atack and Not per each mob you hit then what is the point of Critical Weakness?
Specifically the x% added Crit Chance on mobs?
How does that work if chance is not calculated per mob?

Also maybe I missed this but how do Unwavering Stance and Resolute Technique work in PvP?
I have those on 2 chars but I'm pretty sure I've missed/been stunned by players.

Sorry if repeat questions this thread is a bit long to read.
"
StravoS wrote:
I don't understand something about Crit Chance.

Since Crit Chance is only checked Once when u cast a spell/atack and Not per each mob you hit then what is the point of Critical Weakness?
Specifically the x% added Crit Chance on mobs?
How does that work if chance is not calculated per mob?
Edit: Guess I was wrong.

"
Also maybe I missed this but how do Unwavering Stance and Resolute Technique work in PvP?
I have those on 2 chars but I'm pretty sure I've missed/been stunned by players.
They work as intended. However, note that Freeze doesn't fall under Stun, and Dodge/Block doesn't fall under Evade.
Last edited by 0nin on Dec 12, 2012, 7:22:22 PM
Crit Chance rolls a value between 1 and 100 when you use a skill. If the rolled value falls in the Crit Chance range, your skill Crits.
If a monster is cursed with Critical Weakness, then for that monster only, the Crit Chance range is larger.

Let's say you have 10% Crit Chance, so rolling 1-10 gets you a Crit.
If you roll a 12, any non-Cursed monster hit by the skill is not Critted (12 is higher than 10). You will Crit on a Cursed monster however (10+5 is 15, 12 is lower than 15).
Ie. the Crit roll is done per cast, but the check is done per monster.

Evasion can also cause a specific monster to Evade a Critical, despite a Crit value being rolled and passing on all other monsters. Fairly recent addition to Evasion, so I'm not positive how this is rolled against Spells, since they don't have Accuracy...
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Crit Chance rolls a value between 1 and 100 when you use a skill. If the rolled value falls in the Crit Chance range, your skill Crits.
If a monster is cursed with Critical Weakness, then for that monster only, the Crit Chance range is larger.

Let's say you have 10% Crit Chance, so rolling 1-10 gets you a Crit.
If you roll a 12, any non-Cursed monster hit by the skill is not Critted (12 is higher than 10). You will Crit on a Cursed monster however (10+5 is 15, 12 is lower than 15).
Ie. the Crit roll is done per cast, but the check is done per monster.
Pretty much this. Critical strike chance is checked separately against each monster, but the value rolled for that chance is rolled only once, and the same value checked against your chance to crit each monster.
Concerning the damage pets deal from the flat elemental damage buffs on Anger and Wrath. Do they get increased 3 ways? Leveling the gem, +elemental damage passive nodes and item stats specifically stating +elemental damage, and resistance and elemental weakness debuffs of enemies? I'd really like some feedback on this...
"
Jezabel wrote:
Concerning the damage pets deal
I'm going to answer this assuming you mean minions, note that if you're actually talking about totems or something these answers are wrong.
"
Jezabel wrote:
from the flat elemental damage buffs on Anger and Wrath. Do they get increased 3 ways? Leveling the gem
Levelling the aura will increase the damage it adds to the minions attacks, yes. Some minion gems may grant larger % increases to minion damage as well (or at least smaller penalties). Zombies and Skeletons, to my knowledge, only change base minion damage as the gem levels, thus having no effect on the added damage.
"
Jezabel wrote:
+elemental damage passive nodes and item stats specifically stating +elemental damage
Your minions don't have any passive skills, nor items, so can't benefit from passives skills and items increasing elemental damage. The only exception is Necromantic Aegis, which allows minions to use item stats from your shield, in which case % increased elemental damage on that shield will increase the elemental damage dealt by the minions.
"
Jezabel wrote:
and resistance and elemental weakness debuffs of enemies?
Lowering the resistances of enemies will increase how much elemental damage they take form any source, including minions.
So helpful! Thank you!

So I am assuming that if going pure summoner, depending on my survivability in later difficulties, I can either choose to get Necromantic Aegis and find an uber shield with huge life increase, elemental damage increase, and attack speed, OR I skip that and go for increasing the damage from MI via passives/buffs? Or.... because the minions themselves cast the boom from MI, my own passives do not affect that? :( Either I make my minions last longer and attack better or I make the boom from MI stronger.... not sure what my options are here.

Sorry I know this is a mechanics thread... I guess the mechanics question I have is, does MI work the same way as the buffs from auras?
Last edited by Jezabel on Dec 12, 2012, 8:26:06 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info