Mechanics thread

"
MrDDT wrote:
Reflects Lightning damage back if you attack it with Lightning damage. It is also able to be resisted using your resists.

So if you are on an ele reflect map of 20%, and you do 1000 damage to a mob, and you have 75% resists you will reflect back to you 200 damage, which 75% is resisted taking only 50 damage.

Same works for Physical damage reflect. Its effected by YOUR armor (not evasion).
Reflected attack damage (whether physical or elemental) can be evaded (or blocked). I think dodge isn't currently checked, but that'll be fixed soon.
"
ultrahiangle wrote:
Does iron grip effect lightning strike?
Yes
"
ultrahiangle wrote:
Does point blank effect lightning strike?
Yes
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Dec 4, 2012, 1:02:51 AM
I just love this game about that passive skill system, skill gems and flask. The whole idea about that you can start with warrior and end up using spells sounds very good.
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
two curses plus a penetration plus elemental equilibrium, all add up to generate negative stat.
lv 16 curses are -45% each, lv 16 penetration support is 40%, elemental equilibrium is -25% or -50%. so -180%

sorry only the devs have an answer for how point blank works with lightning strike.

hmm you sure they can all generate negative resists? based on the wording something that says ignore resists (support gem) compared to reducing resist (curse) seems like they would act different. It doesn't really make sense for something that ignores resist to be able to generate a negative resist.
ign = ultrahiangle
"
ultrahiangle wrote:
hmm you sure they can all generate negative resists? based on the wording something that says ignore resists (support gem) compared to reducing resist (curse) seems like they would act different. It doesn't really make sense for something that ignores resist to be able to generate a negative resist.

the penetration supports have already been answered that they are reducing the foe's resistance by specified amount when using the linked skill. nothing else (except chaos damage) does what the word "penetration" normally refers to, ignoring listed amounts as you understand. so at this given time, the vocab are interchangeable.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/55272#p714411
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/55276#p693956
"
ultrahiangle wrote:
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
two curses plus a penetration plus elemental equilibrium, all add up to generate negative stat.
lv 16 curses are -45% each, lv 16 penetration support is 40%, elemental equilibrium is -25% or -50%. so -180%

sorry only the devs have an answer for how point blank works with lightning strike.

They stack.

Also penetration also lowers max resist.

So if you have 180 resist, (75% maxed) and someone uses ele weakness on you for 50%, you have 130% resist, yet still capped at 75%.
If you have 180% resist and someone uses as skill with a 50% penetration on you, your total resist is 130% yet your EFFECTIVE resist is 25%
did it really work like that? because based on the dev comment on lightning penetration support thread makes it sound like acting the same as a debuff that lowers resistance for the on-hit damage of linked skill.
soul,

DDT, panda, and I sat in mumble testing a fire penetration gem. I had excel open, while DDT was shooting fireballs at panda in his super-regen-HP build. Every time he took damage, panda would tell me the lowest HP he saw (skipping burns and crits). Every time panda's health globe was full DDT would fire again. I just sat and entered all the numbers into excel.

We tried about 5 different setups with and without penetration.

While panda had 130% FR and 80% cap
With 50% FR and 80% cap

In both those situations, fire penetration raised the amount of damage Panda was taking, and significantly.

Penetration does well more than just lower your resist score. It has some effect on the resist cap as well. We didn't collect enough points to make the results consistent, that'd take probably about 100 datapoints on each test. It really seems as if penetration lowers your resist score AND your cap, though.

I've just explained the method, now go do it again if you want to see for yourself :)

Oh, we also verified that penetration can go below 0 resist on your target. I thought that was pretty much guaranteed, but DDT wanted to test it :)
Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Like an elephant in the forest.
Last edited by Zakaluka on Dec 5, 2012, 12:51:49 PM
"
Zakaluka wrote:
soul,

DDT, panda, and I sat in mumble testing a fire penetration gem. I had excel open, while DDT was shooting fireballs at panda in his super-regen-HP build. Every time he took damage, panda would tell me the lowest HP he saw (skipping burns and crits). Every time panda's health globe was full DDT would fire again. I just sat and entered all the numbers into excel.

We tried about 5 different setups with and without penetration.

While panda had 130% FR and 80% cap
With 50% FR and 80% cap

In both those situations, fire penetration raised the amount of damage Panda was taking, and significantly.

Penetration does well more than just lower your resist score. It has some effect on the resist cap as well. We didn't collect enough points to make the results consistent, that'd take probably about 100 datapoints on each test. It really seems as if penetration lowers your resist score AND your cap, though.

I've just explained the method, now go do it again if you want to see for yourself :)

Oh, we also verified that penetration can go below 0 resist on your target. I thought that was pretty much guaranteed, but DDT wanted to test it :)

interesting, thanks. this means pretty much elemental penetration supports are amazing if you use ele dmg attack no matter what.
ign = ultrahiangle
wow another case of i am happily wrong, this is fantastic information. so penetration is indeed penetration but with the already known plus of potential negative values of res.

of topic note edit: that means my math is insanely destroyed for a few of my builds. even if only good effects XD.
Last edited by soul4hdwn on Dec 5, 2012, 5:59:53 PM
In my mind it makes them too strong, likely should be balanced with other stuff.

I think 20% + level 20 gem its something like 50% penetration. Which is huge means. if you had 75% cap'd resists before you would be taking 3x the damage. No way for the defender to stop this.

Example
100 base Cold damage vs 75% resist = 25 damage taken.
100 base cold damage +50% Cold Penetration vs 75% resist = 75 damage taken.

So even if the defender had 150 Cold resist with 75% capped, he would still take 3x the damage.

Unlike Ele weakness, you can keep capped resist by stacking a resist.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info