Oldest Path of Exile Screenshot

This is a screenshot from literally three months into development (February 2007). It had a multiplayer realm where you could shoot projectiles at zombies. We didn't have any 3d modellers at this stage so we just textured cubes with concept art.

Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
Last bumped on Dec 23, 2014, 7:49:48 AM
Fuck yeah! looks better than dragon age 2.
Cheaper than free... Speedtree
Haha, the cube phase is the best phase in 3d modelling. You should've sold the game and called in Minecraft, you would've been rich by now :P

Also, totally off topic, I like the way you do item descriptions now, way better than when you started the item linking dev diary :)
Haha, you have to start somewhere.

I wonder, did the game turn out looking how you had envisioned it? Do you ever wish you could go back in time to the time of that screenshot and tweak some fundamental thing that would be too much work to change now?
"
Malice wrote:

I wonder, did the game turn out looking how you had envisioned it? Do you ever wish you could go back in time to the time of that screenshot and tweak some fundamental thing that would be too much work to change now?

I had a strong personal vision related to the balance, itemisation and design of the game. I'm not a graphics programmer or an artist, so I am constantly surprised by how the graphics keep improving. Jonathan (lead programmer and engine developer) and Erik (lead artist) both have clear goals for how they want things to look, and they lead their respective teams to make sure those results are delivered.

There are dozens of things we could fix in the past to save money, but that's completely normal in any product development cycle. There's nothing that's too much work too change though - we're happy to make major changes that improve the game. For example, this year we decided to rewrite a major part of the server architecture to be able to support far more players upon release.
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
nice to see the earlyyy development.
Great :D It looks like a map editor for an RTS. I would call it Age of Empires 3D map editor :)
He who fights with monsters
might take care lest he thereby
become a monster.
Great picture!!!

I love it :)
https://www.artstation.com/pstaszkiewicz
"
Chris wrote:
"
Malice wrote:

I had a strong personal vision related to the balance, itemisation and design of the game. I'm not a graphics programmer or an artist, so I am constantly surprised by how the graphics keep improving. Jonathan (lead programmer and engine developer) and Erik (lead artist) both have clear goals for how they want things to look, and they lead their respective teams to make sure those results are delivered.

There are dozens of things we could fix in the past to save money, but that's completely normal in any product development cycle. There's nothing that's too much work too change though - we're happy to make major changes that improve the game. For example, this year we decided to rewrite a major part of the server architecture to be able to support far more players upon release.

As they say: we learn from our mistakes.
Maybe knowing what you could of done better way will help you in future.
The picture looks like "warcraft 3 " world editor :D
Repent! That's what i'm talking about!
Oh yeah, really nice to see something like that!

Always sweet to get an impression how game development works :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info