We need answers about ps4 performance (consoles in general)

sorry for bad English

I've been playing PoE since its launch on consoles and league after league its performance on the PS4 has gotten worse, to the point of becoming practically unplayable, during Necropolis I was forced to stop because running red maps was extremely difficult, lags, locks, crashes are constants. And I didn't even include elaborate mechanics, it was just the normal map.
During the 3.24 Live, there was talk about improved performance for consoles, but only for PS5 and Xbox. Is there absolutely nothing you can do to improve performance on the PS4? Anything?
I don't care if the graphics get worse, or if the particle effects get ugly, I just want to play the game that I like so much, and that I have over 8 thousand hours.

And I know, the "right" thing would be for me to buy a PS5 or migrate to the PC, but unfortunately I can't do that in the near future. I think I wouldn't be the only one who would like at least a response from GGG about this, and the reasons why such changes don't happen, whether because of hardware or problems with Sony that don't allow such changes in the game. Currently the situation with consoles is very complicated, there is simply a total abandonment of answers. And I don't think this is the best way to deal with this problem, I'm afraid of buying a ps5 and in a while they will slowly stop optimizing the game and that will be it.

And you my console friends, how is the situation with you? Can you handle the game well? Does adding an SSD improve anything?
Last bumped on Sep 6, 2024, 1:49:02 PM
"
Does adding an SSD improve anything?

Hi. I added ssd. I don't regret it. It has become a little more pleasant to play. The loading times for locations have not changed. On cards, performance has improved by approximately 20 percent. The Harbingers don't care about your SSD.
PS4slim
I support this message as a past PS4 and long time PS5 user.

With the start of the new league, i am constantly reminded by the stop and go rubber banding, lagging or whatever this is, that the game is in a not acceptable state (delivery wise).

I used every reasonable connection as a central EU player (London, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, even Moscow), auto and hybrid mode both and from the moment you start running, it takes seconds until your character freezes up, then runs at 200% past the point you wanted to go. Everywhere, on every map, in town.

10 minutes into the new league and i turned the game off. This is a 1/10 performance for years btw.

I am highly concerned about PoE2 and the infrastructure you plan to use in this regard.

It appears to me that you, for the longest time now, do NOT care about this issue at all. This low is a first in my gaming experience, coming from a high profile company.

Is it fixed with a PS5 upgrade of the game on your end? Is it fixed in PoE2? Feel free to charge a minimum fee for premium servers, if it cannot be offered otherwise. But do something about it!

The shame-bell is ringing loudly.

Last edited by Archiemedis on Jul 27, 2024, 10:58:26 AM
Can't really say when it started as i skipped several Seasons, but I too can confirm that it became way worse than last time i played.
The game runs worse on my PS4Pro than the Diablo4 Beta did and not just by a small amount.

Textures popping in late (including enemies) making interactables invisible when loading into new areas and event enemies frequently only becoming visible some time after they spawned and attacked you.

Added to that are micro (and sometimes not so micro) freezes / lags as well as sound issues (looping sounds, sound totally vanishing for some seconds)andtemporary "graphic downgrades" (whole screen becomes pixelated like the resolution went ton to below 120p)

And this is already in the early game before all to fancy skill animations can drag down the performance.
This is all happening on PS5 now as well.

Hoping for fixes.
Yeah this has been horrific. Had to respec atlas out of Jun/Betrayal because of the nonsensical lag when they spawn in. But that won't fix the non-loading textures present literally every single map.

I had less issues in Affliction League if you can somehow believe that, a league with omnipresent particle effects that would make an exploding glitter factory blush.

Something is fundamentally broken, and I guess they think if they pretend nothing is wrong we'll either shut up or it'll go away eventually? Or that the boot-licking white knights will drown us out with the "lolgetps5" holier-than-thou parroting.

Idk, but this is far beyond even the baseline of acceptability. Even Heist lags and is texture-adverse, the one mechanic I used to reliably play when everything else seemed buggy, busted or laggy. That directly speaks to the foundation being cracked and broken.

What on earth did you guys do? Seriously.
"
Yeah this has been horrific. Had to respec atlas out of Jun/Betrayal because of the nonsensical lag when they spawn in. But that won't fix the non-loading textures present literally every single map.

I had less issues in Affliction League if you can somehow believe that, a league with omnipresent particle effects that would make an exploding glitter factory blush.

Something is fundamentally broken, and I guess they think if they pretend nothing is wrong we'll either shut up or it'll go away eventually? Or that the boot-licking white knights will drown us out with the "lolgetps5" holier-than-thou parroting.

Idk, but this is far beyond even the baseline of acceptability. Even Heist lags and is texture-adverse, the one mechanic I used to reliably play when everything else seemed buggy, busted or laggy. That directly speaks to the foundation being cracked and broken.

What on earth did you guys do? Seriously.

another ps4 user here chiming in. i've lost count of the deaths due to enemies failing to load (or their attacks), or the game freezing when enemies load (betrayal), or getting locked in architecture with movement abilities, etc.
but i refuse to upgrade, mostly because every time i look at the price of a ps5 i think to myself, "i could cam swap my camaro, or put in new flooring in my spare bedroom".
poe is literally the only game i've played that gets worse over time, and i refuse to reward a company that doesn't improve its product. i have to assume that ps5 will eventually get bogged down with poe2 and end up in the same situation ps4 is in now.
ggg: you need to do better, or my money will (continue to) stay in my pocket.
GGG is a business. Businesses need to make money.

If you look at two parties, one invests in themselves and one doesn't. Logically you should focus your efforts on to the party that invests in themselves as they will more likely also invest in you.

PC players are known for paying insane amounts for their PC's and as such they also will spend a proportionate amount on other things associated with their PC's. Thus they are the focus of GGG as they should be the most profitable players on average.

PS5 players will pay a moderate amount for improving their quality of gaming. As such they likely have more supporter packs and stash tabs than someone who has not spent more to upgrade their hardware.

PS4 players are on old hardware without the means to upgrade it financially or the willingness to invest in their own happiness though QoL. If they wont invest in that QoL or financially cannot, why should GGG as a business financially devote resources to them?

This is the unfortunate cold hard truth of the matter. Sorry to have to be the one to have to say it out loud. It is indeed a free game and the ancient proverb “beggars can't be choosers” alas applies.

Note: I use both the PS4 (away from home) and the PS5. This game is a major reason of why I upgraded and my only 'regret' is if I should have gone to PC directly. I may have to invest more into myself to get the most out of this game as even the PS5 has its limits.
"
GGG is a business. Businesses need to make money.

If you look at two parties, one invests in themselves and one doesn't. Logically you should focus your efforts on to the party that invests in themselves as they will more likely also invest in you.

PC players are known for paying insane amounts for their PC's and as such they also will spend a proportionate amount on other things associated with their PC's. Thus they are the focus of GGG as they should be the most profitable players on average.

PS5 players will pay a moderate amount for improving their quality of gaming. As such they likely have more supporter packs and stash tabs than someone who has not spent more to upgrade their hardware.

PS4 players are on old hardware without the means to upgrade it financially or the willingness to invest in their own happiness though QoL. If they wont invest in that QoL or financially cannot, why should GGG as a business financially devote resources to them?

This is the unfortunate cold hard truth of the matter. Sorry to have to be the one to have to say it out loud. It is indeed a free game and the ancient proverb “beggars can't be choosers” alas applies.

Note: I use both the PS4 (away from home) and the PS5. This game is a major reason of why I upgraded and my only 'regret' is if I should have gone to PC directly. I may have to invest more into myself to get the most out of this game as even the PS5 has its limits.

i'm not a beggar, nor do i need you to deliver what you perceive to be esoteric hard truths. however, i'll attempt an analogy in lieu of an olive branch: imagine if nike made a shoe for a niche sport, a smaller market that they believed was untapped, but they made it of such poor quality that no one bought it. there are two obvious recourses: 1) exit the market, or 2) make a better shoe. in ggg's case, they refuse to leave the market, and refuse to improve their product. one might be tempted to consider them leaving the market with poe2, but that's technically inaccurate, given that poe2 will never be offered on ps4, and poe1 will continue to exist on ps4. in conclusion, yes, they are a company, and yes, they do business--bad business. for reference warframe is a perfect example of how to properly support your product, another pc-focused rpg.
"

I can use same logic as you:

If GGG cant devote resources to make ps4 version be "playable" why would they take extra time for ps5? GGG is business at the end of the day and dont expect drastic changes.
"Fix it soon becaise beong locked out of my wealth and my character puts a hold on me trading and bartering to increase my wealth" - Nameless Forum Poster.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info