Melee changes in Necropolis?

"
e1337donkey wrote:
"
GaripFikir wrote:
I still don't understand where "melee is bad" people come from. Melee does excellent job on right hands. For example, 34% of +90 level of gauntlet chars -at least- were melee. If you are realist, you would know usecases for melee.[

What are you even talking about here? You mean Boneshatter means that melee is in a good spot.. its one of the few skills that you can pick up in the early game and feel good using it.

This is what people are asking for. Yes if you invest in ANY skill it will eventually feel good to play... like of course. We'd just like more skills to feel good to league start and play thru the entire game from start to finish.

THAT is the problem. People come here and cry that melee sucks, that Boneshatter is only viable melee skills etc. They DO NOT say that "melee sucks as league starter". I can totally agree with this and I already said multiple times. Melee is good IF you can get good gear for it. If you are in a group who think that spending 50 divines on a build is something unreachable for them, do not bother with melee. Stick with meta skills that can stomp all content on garbage gear and have fun with it. But lets be real. 50 divines is NOTHING nowadays if you have even basic knowledge how to make currency in this game. You can literally google "PoE currency making strats", pick one that looks the most fun (or more like the least bad) and you can easily make enough currency to make working, fun build with almost any skill in this game. You do not need to play 12 hours a day and no matter hwo many times you will say it, it wont become true. Even if you play 2 hours a day, if you spend that 2 hours efficiently and focus that 2 hours on making currency - to reach your goal of getting good gear for you build, you can get enough currency in few days. Leaagues are from 90 to 120 days nowadays, If spending 5-7 days (less if you play more hours) on farming, to then have fun for next 100 days is too much for you and not what you want to do - once again, stay with meta builds and have fun. But dont come here crying that X is bad, because it sucks on your garabge gear worth less than an experienced player can farm in an hour and expect that people will nod and agree with you.
Last edited by Aynix on Mar 22, 2024, 6:05:31 PM
"
e1337donkey wrote:
"
GaripFikir wrote:
I still don't understand where "melee is bad" people come from. Melee does excellent job on right hands. For example, 34% of +90 level of gauntlet chars -at least- were melee. If you are realist, you would know usecases for melee.[

What are you even talking about here? You mean Boneshatter means that melee is in a good spot.. its one of the few skills that you can pick up in the early game and feel good using it.

This is what people are asking for. Yes if you invest in ANY skill it will eventually feel good to play... like of course. We'd just like more skills to feel good to league start and play thru the entire game from start to finish.

Yep, I would want to more good melee starters. However, My point were Melee isn't simply bad.
We got cleave of rage last league. Then they nerfed it.

I don't understand their reasoning. It would just be nice to get a simple explanation.
"
AcidBath66 wrote:

I don't understand their reasoning. It would just be nice to get a simple explanation.

its not just melee
they did the same thing with penance brand...nobody will play that skill now
"
AcidBath66 wrote:

It had too big AoE for a melee skill. It stopped being melee range, not allowed.
"
Yep, I would want to more good melee starters. However, My point were Melee isn't simply bad.

TL;DR its not about playable, its about div for div, being worse.

PoB league start with every melee skill, then do a 1 5 and 25 div budget version.

in every case except maybe 5, they are well behind in total damage and survivability vs the top 30 spells.

melee is in a horrible spot because getting near mobs is a stupid idea and because standing still next to mobs is even dumber. nevermind having to use totems as a buff when they get nearly none of the protections that minions get and you have few synergies with them unless you go zero dps and let them do all the damage. (in which case, are you really still a melee build?)

many melee skills are fine as a second character, and into say, red mapping. but at that point the scaling starts to get stupidly expensive, and the survival is poor.

all you have to do is watch nearly every streamer walk in a wide circle around a target to know that melee just sucks.

and then you watch PoE2 videos where they make ranged classes able to keep moving. lol.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.
You dont need survavibility for mapping if you kill anything before it can do anything(I was doing 9-10k wisps T16 this league, on both of my melee characters). Not like just beause it says melee it means your range is melee. In most cases you have enough range to kill everything before it can react. Only problems are pinnacle bosses which you cannot just kill before it can attack.
Last edited by Aynix on Mar 22, 2024, 8:17:48 PM
Maybe it's cause melee isn't in the most terrible spot but most player fail to realize that cause they are mainly heavily focused on the giga meta builds or what the "cool" favorite streamer xyz plays.
Flames and madness. I'm so glad I didn't miss the fun. hoho
"
Aynix wrote:

THAT is the problem. People come here and cry that melee sucks, that Boneshatter is only viable melee skills etc. They DO NOT say that "melee sucks as league starter". I can totally agree with this and I already said multiple times. Melee is good IF you can get good gear for it. If you are in a group who think that spending 50 divines on a build is something unreachable for them, do not bother with melee. Stick with meta skills that can stomp all content on garbage gear and have fun with it. But lets be real. 50 divines is NOTHING nowadays if you have even basic knowledge how to make currency in this game. You can literally google "PoE currency making strats", pick one that looks the most fun (or more like the least bad) and you can easily make enough currency to make working, fun build with almost any skill in this game. You do not need to play 12 hours a day and no matter hwo many times you will say it, it wont become true. Even if you play 2 hours a day, if you spend that 2 hours efficiently and focus that 2 hours on making currency - to reach your goal of getting good gear for you build, you can get enough currency in few days. Leaagues are from 90 to 120 days nowadays, If spending 5-7 days (less if you play more hours) on farming, to then have fun for next 100 days is too much for you and not what you want to do - once again, stay with meta builds and have fun. But dont come here crying that X is bad, because it sucks on your garabge gear worth less than an experienced player can farm in an hour and expect that people will nod and agree with you.

Now why don't you say that more often man? That I can agree with and it's what most people are complaining about. It's why I say it's not competitive, because just as you stated, it's not. Only with lots of divines, which I 100% agree with. I just don't get it man. Really, that response is what most people is talking about. Seems your arguing semantics and not realizing it?

You very clearly are saying melee is not anywhere near as good pound for pound as caster builds for the cost, especially in a league start. That's exactly what most of use have been saying and you get all upidy about it. They are saying the same thing as you, but for some reason you want them to say it the same way and same terms as you.

Well, I'm glad you said that anyway, it clears up your position a lot more.
"
Valkaneer wrote:

You very clearly are saying melee is not anywhere near as good pound for pound as caster builds for the cost, especially in a league start. That's exactly what most of use have been saying and you get all upidy about it.

That is true but mostly visible on low budget. The higer your budget, the less diffrence you notice between builds (except few outliers that usually become meta)
Its just diffrent point of view. Now I assume those people who complain about melee are people who rate builds, how they perform, with "league starter" setup or gear not much better than that. In that scenario there is huge gap between projectile/spell builds and melee. I look at this from diffrent perspective. To me spending 50-100 divines on a build is "low to medium budget" because I can easily make this much in few days. Thats why I rate builds on such budget. Now when you compare how melee perform vs other types of skills with such budget, the diffrence is much much smaller, to the point it doesnt really matter (except few outliers ofc). Thats why I said melee is not for newbies or casuals. Because those people, usually, have hard time spending such amount of curency on single build.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info