Melee changes in Necropolis?

What the 'melee doesn't suck' crowd seems to be saying is if you want to play a melee build, you need to make a non-melee build to farm enough currency to play a melee build.

There seems to be a logic break there.

I am ok with zero range melee not being as good in this game as spells, bows and ranged melee. The designers clearly want players to dodge things like the old Frogger game from the 80's. That being said, it seems as if new features are built around folks who are so far away from things that they do not need to think about, much less dodge hazards. That kind of design just isn't fair to melee. JMO
"
What the 'melee doesn't suck' crowd seems to be saying is if you want to play a melee build, you need to make a non-melee build to farm enough currency to play a melee build.

No, thats what YOU think. WHat makes you think you cannot farm currency on melee builds? Are you new to this game and you think that doing hardest content in the game is only way to make currency? Well, its not. In fact white maps in some situations can be more profitable than red maps.
Or perhaps you are one of those that refuse to do anything which is not most efficient way of doing it and you do not care about "having fun"?
Last edited by Aynix on Mar 23, 2024, 10:35:44 AM
A lot of circular logic in this thread progressing to the same points being made of:

1) melee is fine if you don't get in melee range
2) melee is fine if you don't stand still
3) melee is fine if you farm up "the proper gear" on a non-melee gem build

Overall, I view POE1 development as an extreme progression (in the wrong direction) of how PvE (not PvP) melee was in D2 (classic, not D2R), which I played on an off "seriously" for 10 years. In that game, I could farm up (and some trading) "the proper gear" for a frenzy barbarian, and then demolish most things in multiplayer hell difficulty outside of unbreakable physical immunities. I had crazy armor and life and resistances and was reasonably tanky. Things like spell suppression and *insert dot debuff here that isn't elemental or physical" did not exist.

Now I can't even have that level of enjoyment for melee. Max resistances in POE are irrelevant. Attack block and armor are irrelevant except for less dangerous auto attacks/arrows. Adding another 1-2k life barely helps. If I stand still to scratch my nose for a second I'm dead. Numerous things fire off screen in unison as conveniently placed packs numbering 10-100 with nowhere to hide or maneuver around them. No amount of leech will keep you alive against it if you aren't at a "bullet hell" level of game skill.

Like seriously, this is clearly how POE is meant to be developed by GGG over several years now, so why the hell are melee gem tags and associated weaponry/uniques still in the game? The state just keeps getting worse. I can only assume it is some cruel in-house joke at this point among the senior staff. I know the "do they even play their game" joke gets floated around regarding D4 development since June 2023, but I'm getting the same sentiment here. Does anyone in a decision-making dev position at GGG sit down for an hour playing a non-rich melee build in something like T16 (without reflect present), get deleted off screen, or get deleted by standing still, or get deleted by *inexplicable thing the game won't tell you* and wonder "HUH, ya we should do something about this"

?

Based on the POE2 streamer melee playthroughs I've seen recently (eg. Alkaizer), the answer is a definitive "no". Things are worse than ever in POE2 and now you will be returning to town every minute to refresh your flasks after your face gets rearranged.
Last edited by mnieradko on Mar 23, 2024, 11:02:53 AM
"
mnieradko wrote:
A lot of circular logic in this thread progressing to the same points being made of:

You never give up, do you?
1. Melee gems can scale with AoE and everyone with right mind will try to scale AoE on their melee skills to make clear speed better. Very few melee skills in this game force you to be in "melee range", even strike skill.
2. Almost every skill in this game forces you to stand still to use it. Be it spell, bow skill, wand skill or melee. If you are stupid enough to stand still and keep atacking instead hit-n-run like everyone does with every single skill in the game, its your own fault and skill issue, not melee problem
3. Yet another stupid argument created in ur own head. You need proper gear for melee to be good and end game viable. How you get that gear is up to you. If you want to be most efficient then its better to do it on other builds that is designed to be great and fast mapper (like TS) but thats your OWN choice. If you love melee skills so much go and farm cyrrency on melee builds. It will be slower, but we are not discussing whether its most efficient way but whether it is possible.

ALl your comment show your TRUE problem with melee. Its not that melee is bad. Its that melee is NOT GOOD ENOUGH for you, because you refuse to play anything that is not best thing in the game. Your problem is that there are things in this game that are better than melee.
Last edited by Aynix on Mar 23, 2024, 11:47:45 AM
"
mnieradko wrote:

Overall, I view POE1 development as an extreme progression (in the wrong direction) of how PvE (not PvP) melee was in D2 (classic, not D2R), which I played on an off "seriously" for 10 years. In that game, I could farm up (and some trading) "the proper gear" for a frenzy barbarian, and then demolish most things in multiplayer hell difficulty outside of unbreakable physical immunities. I had crazy armor and life and resistances and was reasonably tanky. Things like spell suppression and *insert dot debuff here that isn't elemental or physical" did not exist.

Now I can't even have that level of enjoyment for melee. Max resistances in POE are irrelevant. Attack block and armor are irrelevant except for less dangerous auto attacks/arrows. Adding another 1-2k life barely helps. If I stand still to scratch my nose for a second I'm dead. Numerous things fire off screen in unison as conveniently placed packs numbering 10-100 with nowhere to hide or maneuver around them. No amount of leech will keep you alive against it if you aren't at a "bullet hell" level of game skill.

Like seriously, this is clearly how POE is meant to be developed by GGG over several years now, so why the hell are melee gem tags and associated weaponry/uniques still in the game? The state just keeps getting worse. I can only assume it is some cruel in-house joke at this point among the senior staff. I know the "do they even play their game" joke gets floated around regarding D4 development since June 2023, but I'm getting the same sentiment here. Does anyone in a decision-making dev position at GGG sit down for an hour playing a non-rich melee build in something like T16 (without reflect present), get deleted off screen, or get deleted by standing still, or get deleted by *inexplicable thing the game won't tell you* and wonder "HUH, ya we should do something about this"

?

Based on the POE2 streamer melee playthroughs I've seen recently (eg. Alkaizer), the answer is a definitive "no". Things are worse than ever in POE2 and now you will be returning to town every minute to refresh your flasks after your face gets rearranged.

[Removed by Support] and therefore have "not so ideal" builds and that this is the reason you keep dying? Like are you even aware of the fact that people can go afk in fully juiced t16 maps with proper characters? And with proper i don't mean 100+ divines nonsense. You can accomplish things like that with <10 divines as long as you know how assuming you also want decent dps. If it's just the defense you can probably do it with half that.

I can leaguestart a melee character and get 10 times your champions dps AND more ehp by day 3 of a league. [Removed by Support]
Last edited by Mousa_GGG on Mar 23, 2024, 4:36:17 PM
There is just no point in arguin people, saying melee is playable is an accurate statement, now saying melee "is fine" when it takes 10 times the effort to play and so much more gear reliant is downright [Removed by Support], not to mention all the mechanics that you have to avoid ending up with 50% damage uptime at best, just play DD for another league until you can afford 100div to make a melee build that does 20% of the damage, that sounds fun right?

Everyone knows GGG does not give a flying F about melee, I mean it's league after league of complete silence about it, same dumbass skills still OP, honestly I don't know what else you expected.
Last edited by Mousa_GGG on Mar 23, 2024, 4:39:38 PM
Melee is more than fine. Melee is prefectly viable to do evertyhing in the game with exception of 0.001% content I dont bother anyway (ubers). No amount of whining will change that.
Have you ever thought why GGG doesnt respond to those stupid threads "melee bad" that pop up from time to time for years? I wonder why...
"
Aynix wrote:
"
Valkaneer wrote:

Well that's just it, I was ROFL when I looked at a particular person's characters who is constantly saying how OP melee is, and when I looked as his builds they were all hundreds of Divines in cost, but did 20 Divines worth of caster DPS. Its figuratively a bag of hot air argument.

Maybe because I leagues started with miner and iddnt bother getting good gear for it. 50-100 divines for a build, especially in affliction, was nothing. You can literally farm 20+ divines per hour. You want to stomp entire game in a gear worth one hour of a grind? I can grind enough currency for good melee build in one single day.

No wonder pepople think melee is bad if they want to clear everything in garbage gear they can farm in less than an hour.
Melee is fine. Actually its more than fine, its good. Its just not for casuals or newbies.

Softcore player, nuff said. "Its just not for casuals or newbies" thanks for the laughs
"
ReikaShikari wrote:
"
Aynix wrote:
"
Valkaneer wrote:

Well that's just it, I was ROFL when I looked at a particular person's characters who is constantly saying how OP melee is, and when I looked as his builds they were all hundreds of Divines in cost, but did 20 Divines worth of caster DPS. Its figuratively a bag of hot air argument.

Maybe because I leagues started with miner and iddnt bother getting good gear for it. 50-100 divines for a build, especially in affliction, was nothing. You can literally farm 20+ divines per hour. You want to stomp entire game in a gear worth one hour of a grind? I can grind enough currency for good melee build in one single day.

No wonder pepople think melee is bad if they want to clear everything in garbage gear they can farm in less than an hour.
Melee is fine. Actually its more than fine, its good. Its just not for casuals or newbies.

Softcore player, nuff said. "Its just not for casuals or newbies" thanks for the laughs

Sorry bud but no one cares about your "hc card". Game is not balanced around ur selfproclaimed hard mode.
Lmao calling people "noobs" while playing the easy version of the game i mean any boss is easily clappable with 6 attempts LOL, However, it doesnt change the fact that melee balance is quite bad overall either you like it or not. Can it clear any content in the game ? yes. it sucks and it is clunky though.

The Hc Card thingy made me laugh again thanks

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info