PSA: The servers are fine, it is your ISP's routing that is not

Gaslighting continuation. I have not have issues in other games so it's must be my IPS :D (20 years of online gaming)
"End of March makes 3 months and 21 days which is almost 4 months and not 3 1/2, get your math right hoho."

Yesterday i was testing my connection with WinMTR and there were 2 nodes where i had massive pack loss, today those nodes vanished, anyway tried a few maps, loading times still horrible for a t5 map, think that the league mechanic is causing some sort of deadpoint because my ping goes flat for about 5 sec after that the map loads, maybe this info will help, but ... too late to enjoy the league after all the frustation with dc, lost portals and long loading times while watching others enjoy the mirror drops like candy.

If anyone wants to check the WinMTR and check their connection, as i mentioned those 2 nodes dissapeared but still the game is loading very slow as in towns and maps, personally i never could do a ravaged blighted map, dont wanna risk my pc for that :)
We should not seek to use this power to change those around us, no... This power is a means for us to change ourselves. To be reborn as Wraeclast intends us to be. - The Slaying of the Gods //Oshabi//
"
Dxt44 wrote:
Gaslighting continuation. I have not have issues in other games so it's must be my IPS :D (20 years of online gaming)

Only 20 years? Noob :P

ISP routing is a huge component of poor game performance in PoE. Some ISPs really do need a kick up the proverbial.

Of course there are also issues of server crashes, in those cases ISP does not matter. If the instance server goes tits up then having the best ISP in the world will not help.

😹😹😹😹😹
I do not and will not use TFT.
Gaming Granny :D
🐢🐢🐢🪲🪲🪲
"
EstocSlayer wrote:
"
or use one of the various VPN services online that give you alternative routing for your traffic.

I personally would not recommend using a VPN to play as not only does it add latency but:

Most VPN services give you a shared external IP, meaning everyone else who uses that VPN will have the same IP address as you. If they do something dodgy online, such as breaking rules of the game then your account may also be flagged as it has the same IP address from what GGG/any external service can see.

If you do decide to use a VPN to play this game or for anything else, please make sure that your VPN gives you an individual IP address so that you aren't sharing with others as they may not be as respectful as you are and you do not want to pay the consequences for their mistakes.

Even for IPv6 VPNs ?!?
(PoE does support IPv6 by now, right ?)

"
CarpeDiem444 wrote:

[...]
think that the league mechanic is causing some sort of deadpoint because my ping goes flat for about 5 sec after that the map loads, maybe this info will help
[...]

I don't think that's related - I have noticed this too, while my connection experience with EU servers has been rock solid from home - but this is the graph clearly lying (it's not like my PC teleports inside the server room during area load !).
(And of course, 0ms ping *should* be better, not worse.)
What is more likely is that pings stop being sent/received during that time, ping times return as undefined, and graph (wrongly) interprets this as 0ms ?
hey , did the OP skipped the CCNA class ?

Did I forget how BGP works ? cuz I do not remember if having 0 losses on path to server and server timing out being someone that I could fix with my ISP.

I remember in past league that in the morning on Amsterdam server everything was fine in the gauntlet and after a certain time were I didn't even logout, I just couldn't play in the gauntlet because of the rubber banding and latency issues, but everything was fine in maps and everything else.

So yea, definitely my ISP
Never invite Vorana, Last To Fall at a beer party.
Last edited by Vendetta on Jan 16, 2024, 8:26:43 AM
"
Vendetta wrote:

Did I forget how BGP works ? cuz I do not remember if having 0 losses on path to server and server timing out being someone that I could fix with my ISP.

I remember in past league that in the morning on Amsterdam server everything was fine in the gauntlet and after a certain time were I didn't even logout, I just couldn't play in the gauntlet because of the rubber banding and latency issues, but everything was fine in maps and everything else.

Yeah it's 100% your ISP, OP does know exactly 100% all issues related to Internet and latency on poe, poe servers never had such issues period, also day 1 league is your ISP as well, you can call your Telia and tell them to stop laggin your nodes that's bad!!!!
Venezuela es mi barrio, y odio mi barrio.
Amante de las abejas🐝
"
CanelayAzucar wrote:
"
Vendetta wrote:

Yeah it's 100% your ISP, OP does know exactly 100% all issues related to Internet and latency on poe, poe servers never had such issues period, also day 1 league is your ISP as well, you can call your Telia and tell them to stop laggin your nodes that's bad!!!!
Where did I claim I know it with 100% certainty? I'm just stating facts. Doing a tracert, identifying the problem and applying a solution isn't that hard. It literally takes 5 minutes. Yes, GGG servers shit the bed during league launch and sometimes in-between. But the majority of issues people are having are not server related and can be fixed by the user.

But I fully understand why GGG remains silent on the topic, there isn't much else to say other than people need to do their research and fix their shit. Hell, I have seen people rocking 10 years old hardware which you wouldn't find in office PC's these days and then they claim GGG or this games servers are at fault.

You guys keep bitching and gaslighting each other, I'll go and enjoy my rock solid connection. See you in-game, if you don't lag out! ;) hoho

Relevant and fun read: https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/197c4r1/how_are_the_eu_servers_still_in_this_state/

The comments in there (and similar topics) are priceless!
Last edited by Ulsarek on Jan 16, 2024, 12:55:54 PM
Here is a reddit thread about (supposed, didnt investigate properly(*)) server side problem: https://old.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/198ccbf/a_60_second_clip_of_abyss_farming_with_108k_wisps/

Basically it implies EU servers cant handle juiced abysses. And that computation on server is slowed down extremely etc. With video.

(*) Claimed evidence does suggest server is overloaded or insufficient or buggy:
"
That does not make sense. Since I am playing with lockstep, my client sees what is actually on the server. If my flask, which lasts 10 seconds normally, has only gone through 2 seconds of uptime in a 60 second clip, it can NOT be a communication issue. That 10 second flask would still only last 10 seconds on the server, so it does not matter how much congestion there is between me and the server.

Also, moving around in the map happens almost immediately, which further confirms that the communication is okay, and just the server is having a very hard time.
https://old.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/198ccbf/a_60_second_clip_of_abyss_farming_with_108k_wisps/ki6h035/

--

If "both sides" in that reddit thread (and other threads) are sort-of-right then it appears possible that there is a programming failure in the server code that causes routing problems to have an overly strong effect on server stability and server performance.

--

Also there is this comment:
"
Switching to predictive networking and turning on dynamic resolution fixed all the lag issues I had dealing with crazy 10+ proj spires.
https://old.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/198ccbf/a_60_second_clip_of_abyss_farming_with_108k_wisps/ki6j3ss/
The dynamic resolution part is likely unrelated to the topic. The "predictive networking" part may be interesting. Unfortunately its not clear if those "lag issues" are normal lag or what is desribed in the OP.
If its whats desribed in the OP it may be that they somehow badly messed up lockstep programming. Lockstep has been buggy for a long time now. Very noticeably last league. Maybe they "fixed" it and this is causing those problems.
No wonder it's lost, it's in the middle of the jungle!
"
Zrevnur wrote:
"
PSA: The servers are fine,
Evidence suggests otherwise, see for example these:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3474199/page/4#p25223303
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3474199/page/4#p25223348
These are server side failures, not routing-with-player problems.

"
To my knowledge only Riot Games managed to do so for their League of Legends by essentially building their very own infrastructure, an extremely expensive undertaking
Can you quantify "extremely expensive"? Or give a source for it? Anyway if true it provides evidence that its fixable by GGG/Tencent.

"
that otherwise probably only Microsoft could reasonably pull off. Not GGG though,
You do realize that both 'Riot Games' and 'GGG' are owned by Tencent? Means the only thing necessary would be to cooperate and they could use the same "infrastructure" then.

NOTHING in that thread is proof of anything other than lazy players too ready to just shout it's the servers fix it.

Some dribble about VPN being something GGG can implement (not a fix and not applicable in a lot of cases as more than a few start AT THE PLAYERS end
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Last edited by lagwin1980 on Jan 16, 2024, 6:53:35 PM
"
Ellanth wrote:
It's a very strange situtation indeed but since the last two weeks i had to choose Moscow Russia servers instead any other EU servers (im from Hungary) because any Eu servers had 200+ ms but Moscow server had 30-60ms.

This week i changed my ISP from Digi to Telekom and since then my EU servers ping went back to even lower 19-30ms. Nothing else changed on my network but the ISP.

Different ISP can mean different routing to the same servers...this isn't a mystery, the new routing bypassed the problems you were having on the old ISP.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info