New and Changed Gems in Path of Exile: Trial of the Ancestors

"
I wish I didn't have to pull out a calculator every time I read a new gem
DOES MORE DMG, but also DOES LESS DMG.
Why are they designed in this way? Can someone please explain it to me like I am 5?

I'm not trying to be negative but in terms of understanding at a glance its right up there with "visual clarity" in blight maps.

I'd assume it is about being rewarded for hitting an optimum. As an example, in the case of Controlled Blaze you get rewarded for keeping stacks exactly in the middle between no stacks and maximum stacks. Your mileage may vary if its a fun concept or not.
"
UndeadShaper wrote:
"
muzein wrote:

Ah. Well then there isn't much of a downside if you just want to base your DPS off ignite damage.

So 364% more damage with ignite... but compare that to Flameblast which gets 60% more damage with ailments per stage and you can max out at 10-12 stages (And has a Vaal version).

Jayd42 brings up a good point about AoE. 1 slam that hits 10 mobs is 10 ignites in 1 attack. Could be a fun mapper build for slams that AoE ignite/prloif?

Why are you talking about Flameblast? this is not a melee-skill.

The new set of support gems seems to be absolutely useless somehow. If we assume that I've been hitting the motionless boss for several seconds, then I don't understand what profit of all this is

This is concerning. I had assumed the less damage portion would be either hit only or attack only. In which case it would work as we assumed.

As it's worded right now it does nothing. (technically 2% more, but that is effectively nothing)

I hope this is a typo.

As it is right now, at 50% of stacks (3 ignites per second for 4 seconds?) you have a gain of 43.8% more damage.
1 ignite per second is 37%

So yeah. Visual clarity of what you're supposed to do to maximise the gem is non-existent.
Last edited by Issarelias on Aug 15, 2023, 11:44:54 AM
"
UndeadShaper wrote:
Why are you talking about Flameblast? this is not a melee-skill.

Because that's the baseline comparison for an ignite build.

Ignite (in most cases) can only be applied once. The downside of slow abilities like Flameblast or Discharge shine if they only have to apply an ailment once every ~4 seconds.

So if GGG wants to facilitate melee ignites it still has to make sense relative to what's already available. If I want to play an ignite build, I'm going to consider all forms of ignite, I'm not going to choose this new support just because it's melee.
Last edited by muzein on Aug 15, 2023, 11:45:40 AM
Try doing that same calculation but with around 12 to 13 stacks. So cut the numbers in half. I believe the whole point of it is to create a balancing game. Don't always be at the maximum amount, otherwise it's only a small buff.
Nice!!!! Hyped for the new league!!
twitch.tv/hudi3n3
"
UndeadShaper wrote:
The new set of support gems seems to be absolutely useless somehow. If we assume that I've been hitting the motionless boss for several seconds, then I don't understand what profit of all this is

Try phrashing it as "78% less damage with hits". It's also possible PoB just isn't calculating it correctly...it's 3rd party and can't be updated until we have all the gem information.
Does Boneshatter + trauma support stack with each other?
Such an extensive list of skill gem balancing! It almost went half a page!
No changes for ancestral call and fist of war? Rly?
"
Aldonés wrote:
"
UndeadShaper wrote:

Try phrashing it as "78% less damage with hits".

No, it's about any type of damage. If you choose your option, the damage will triple. This can't be happening)
Boring

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info