Crucible League Mechanic is a Miss

So far the mechanic isn't that good but as usual it will take 2-3 weeks of patches before it becomes tolerable to good.

This pretty much happens every league now so I think it is time for GGG to invite some NEW beta testers in. Testers from all kinds of player types, from the 18 hours a day powergamer with superb game knowledge down to the semi causal who only plays until 2 watch stones.
Last edited by MaxW81 on Apr 10, 2023, 2:07:43 AM
"
MaxW81 wrote:
So far the mechanic isn't that good but as usual it will take 2-3 weeks of patches before it becomes tolerable to good.

This pretty much happens every league now so I think it is time for GGG to invite some NEW beta testers in. Testers from all kinds of player types, from the 18 hours a day powergamer with superb game knowledge down to the semi causal who only plays until 2 watch stones.

I think that every god-damn-league. Me and a friend are astonished every 3 months that they not properly play-testing leagues. Well every 4 months ....
Feedback during campaign from someone who doesn't play much and only started in kalandra:
- mechanic takes a while to interact, but unlike kalandra where you were making decisions during interaction here you're just waiting for a bar to fill - and i'd be ok with resting for a bit, but you still need to hold down lmb the entire time, so it just doesn't feel good
- there weren't much opportunities to interact with it in the first place: i did get lucky with one weapon and was able to fully upgrade it (and even then it only took 5 maps), but for the rest i either quickly reached the nodes that would make the weapon unusable, or wouldn't gain anything useful further in the tree anyway - so i skipped vast majority of crucibles i encountered
- i thought about unlocking trees on random weapons in hopes of getting those currency vendor nodes, but i was levelling gems in my second weapon set, and keeping track of junk weapons in my already limited personal inventory felt like too much of a hassle
I don't even know what to say anymore. It's almost like designing a really fun league and then doing the exact opposite.

/shrug
The nerfs will continue until morale improves.
"
AikenDram wrote:
Feedback during campaign from someone who doesn't play much and only started in kalandra:
- mechanic takes a while to interact, but unlike kalandra where you were making decisions during interaction here you're just waiting for a bar to fill - and i'd be ok with resting for a bit, but you still need to hold down lmb the entire time, so it just doesn't feel good
- there weren't much opportunities to interact with it in the first place: i did get lucky with one weapon and was able to fully upgrade it (and even then it only took 5 maps), but for the rest i either quickly reached the nodes that would make the weapon unusable, or wouldn't gain anything useful further in the tree anyway - so i skipped vast majority of crucibles i encountered
- i thought about unlocking trees on random weapons in hopes of getting those currency vendor nodes, but i was levelling gems in my second weapon set, and keeping track of junk weapons in my already limited personal inventory felt like too much of a hassle

It's really unfortunate that the mechanic is so clunky to play with.

Every league I hope for some fresh content and to play some new builds, test out changes, try new items and challenge the endgame.

But instead it's struggling with overtuned rares, scuffed mechanics that rarely lead to content, having to fall back to a small number of builds that can essentially ignore content.

I really wish GGG would learn from the mistakes, I was originally really unhappy with D4 but at least the game might improve over time instead of consistently manage to get worse since 3.13 / 3.15 even with so many nice QoL and endgame changes. The game balance and risk vs reward is just a total joke.
"
DarkJen wrote:
I miss 3.13 times..

3.13 was, is, and from the looks of recent trends since then, always will be the peak of PoE.
PoE players: Our game has a wide diversity of builds.

Also PoE players: The [league mechanic] doesn't need to be nerfed, you just need to play a [current meta] build!

MFers found strength in their Afflictions. They became reliant on them. I am not so foolish.
"
Pizzarugi wrote:
"
DarkJen wrote:
I miss 3.13 times..

3.13 was, is, and from the looks of recent trends since then, always will be the peak of PoE.

Yeah, seems so!
The mechanic itself would be alright, i mean it's cool that we get some bonus affixes for our weapons. And some of them are really good. New uniques, mastery shakeup, atlas tree improvements, overall a decent patch.

But the crucible mobs are hilariously overtuned and even at 25-50% chargeup are much tankier than anything else in a map. Which is silly, how many times we have to endure such bullshit on launch? This gives me throwbacks to 2-3 leagues ago and "new Beyond" where those Beyond monsters would have silly number of hitpoints and would eventually end up with a -66% HP nerf. As in, they had three times the intended amount of health to begin with.

"
Esubane wrote:
The mechanic itself would be alright, i mean it's cool that we get some bonus affixes for our weapons. And some of them are really good. New uniques, mastery shakeup, atlas tree improvements, overall a decent patch.

But the crucible mobs are hilariously overtuned and even at 25-50% chargeup are much tankier than anything else in a map. Which is silly, how many times we have to endure such bullshit on launch? This gives me throwbacks to 2-3 leagues ago and "new Beyond" where those Beyond monsters would have silly number of hitpoints and would eventually end up with a -66% HP nerf. As in, they had three times the intended amount of health to begin with.

It's incredible how every patch since 3.13/3.15 is the same overtuned / under-reward as a baseline.

It's like GGG is afraid of players enjoying the game at a reasonable pace and experimenting with builds for endgame. Seems like the casual and/or employed players without that much time to play are punished every time. I would be willing to support the game more if the game was willing to support players like me :/
"
yeknoms wrote:
"
Esubane wrote:

It's incredible how every patch since 3.13/3.15 is the same overtuned / under-reward as a baseline.

It's like GGG is afraid of players enjoying the game at a reasonable pace and experimenting with builds for endgame. Seems like the casual and/or employed players without that much time to play are punished every time. I would be willing to support the game more if the game was willing to support players like me :/

I think it's more accurate to say that GGG tries to over-estimate the baseline difficulty of new content. It's far easier to release something extremely hard and make it easier and/or more rewarding later than it is to accidentally give players incredible power out of the gate which GGG then has to pull back.

I mean, there are STILL players angry about the nerfs to Harvest from it's power during Harvest/Ritual leagues, and that was years ago at this point.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info