The Schematic: A Fundamental Change to Crafting

"
Courageous wrote:
"
When it comes to stats it will be just the same. You basically just transfer the stats from an item to a new one of your choice. Easy crafting!

I get it, but what formula do you use to determine how much those stats should cost?

Also, where you say it would be "too complicated," I basically agree. It would cause the developer to have to develop GUI code they don't currently have. That's not very realistic. I was speaking hypothetically when I said "if I could tweak it more."

--C

The cost will be none, except for the salvaged item which is destroyed.
IGN:NiteSlacker
"

Am I following this correctly? You wish to take the item attributes from an item you like, that doesn't have the links that you like, and apply them to a 6L without attributes that you like, and merge them together, so that you now have a 6L with nice attributes, at the cost of destroying the original item?

--C

"
Courageous wrote:
"

Am I following this correctly? You wish to take the item attributes from an item you like, that doesn't have the links that you like, and apply them to a 6L without attributes that you like, and merge them together, so that you now have a 6L with nice attributes, at the cost of destroying the original item?

--C

Yes. The schematic will of course be destroyed also though.
The opposite works for a "socket schematic". You have a nice item with great stats but the sockets doesn't suit you well. You also have a 6-linked item that you don't have need for. This can be salvaged onto the "socket Schematic" and applied to the nice item :)
"
Courageous wrote:

"
slarur wrote:
The opposite works for a "socket schematic". You have a nice item with great stats but the sockets doesn't suit you well. You also have a 6-linked item that you don't have need for. This can be salvaged onto the "socket Schematic" and applied to the nice item :)

Hmmm. The only way this would work is if the Schematic were extremely rare, and were therefore more like a currency item itself. I say this, because with the two items you propose, the value of the two items independently would be low, but together, potentially astronomically high. One would therefore conclude that to maintain the the present rate at which 5L/6L and other rare items enter the game, the Schematic would have to be the very thing which provides for that rarity.

And with this being the case, your proposed change to the Schematic defeats the whole purpose of the Schematic itself. The purpose of the Schematic is to allow players who don't like RNG on the scale of 6L's and the like to have a more steady (investment-like-metaphor) experience in getting a valuable and unlikely crafting event done. To wit: the Schematic is an RNG substitute, after a fashion.

Do you see what I mean?

Keep in mind that the Schematic was first conceived as an idea after I discarded some notions in my RNG-itis thread as unworkable (I still find that thread topical, just not practical), listened to some issues where players were complaining about chromatics in particular, and mulled over an alternative solution.

In all cases, this has been meant to address a certain class of player that gets "RNG rage," particularly if they get exceptionally unlucky. I therefore came up with a concept that would consume the same-to-slightly-more currency on average to get the same effect, but convert it into more of a piggy bank concept instead of a slot machine concept.

That's the "whole reason for being" for the Schematic.

Be that as it may, I like your idea of using a Schematic to pick up a design from another item. That part is a great addition. You probably see now where I was going with the "pick a few mods" from the item thing now, I guess.

--C
"
Courageous wrote:
"
Courageous wrote:

"
slarur wrote:

Hmmm. The only way this would work is if the Schematic were extremely rare, and were therefore more like a currency item itself. I say this, because with the two items you propose, the value of the two items independently would be low, but together, potentially astronomically high. One would therefore conclude that to maintain the the present rate at which 5L/6L and other rare items enter the game, the Schematic would have to be the very thing which provides for that rarity.

And with this being the case, your proposed change to the Schematic defeats the whole purpose of the Schematic itself. The purpose of the Schematic is to allow players who don't like RNG on the scale of 6L's and the like to have a more steady (investment-like-metaphor) experience in getting a valuable and unlikely crafting event done. To wit: the Schematic is an RNG substitute, after a fashion.

Do you see what I mean?

Yes I absolutely understand. I don't think this will become a reality though, unless they create a new league or something. It will totally ruin the economy.

I really hope schematics of some sort will be added to the game, so keep on ponder your idea :)
"

Yes I absolutely understand. I don't think this will become a reality though, unless they create a new league or something. It will totally ruin the economy.

Oh, it's quite a bit of development, so one has to be realistic about these things. I've already explained, however, why it wouldn't harm the economy. To wit: this proposal does not propose to make it any less costly to craft items at all. So, we have no basis to predict "economic ruin," from this proposal as written.

The proposal has a variety of open parameters. To infer "economic ruin" from it is to assume that the developers would put values into those parameters that then lead to economic harm. I would not, personally, assume they would do that.

--C

Last edited by Courageous on Apr 25, 2013, 10:02:09 AM
ok to the elitist here do you know what crafting a weapon entails? it entail grabbing a hammer and start molding that piece of metal if your good you can add sockets for gems this is how its done in reality

that we have a game were you have orbs that have magical properties that can do this for you in a flash but you have no control over is great but not a cohesive design for gameplay, gameplay is and always has mirrored reality as much as possible.

do you know what the first description was for hit points? it was how well a character is able to receive a blow as to avoid lethal injury combined with a natural vitality of being able to suffer pain.

that is a mirror of reality
crafting should be the same you can add onto it because it is a game but it should still have a sense of realism to it

this idea has that you do use schematics if you want to design that custom piece of gear.

frankly speaking i think you can go a lot further with this then you are doing right now

i think you could even go so far as to determine the base values on a piece of gear (ofc offsetted by the requirements to equip it)
Changing the amount of things an item is used for changes its value. Changing what an item can give (in this game stats in crafting) will make some worth a lot more then another.

So pretty much the few items that would end up adding the best modifiers would then be worth more then the least liked ones.

In the end it changes the value of our currency items.

Also, wouldn't this system change the value of a equipment people find? If you can make an item to your liking there is less reason to try to find items other ways. It would end up being that now only the best of the best items that are found are worth anything and nothing in between.
"
Also, wouldn't this system change the value of a equipment people find? If you can make an item to your liking there is less reason to try to find items other ways. It would end up being that now only the best of the best items that are found are worth anything and nothing in between.

Not really, no. You can "make an item to your liking" with a variety of in game currency presently. It just takes a huge investment. The Schematic does not change that.

If you are referring to crafting specific items with specific attributes, I haven't writen about that in great detail previously, although you'll find some discussion on it on the last page or so. An extremely specific set of 6 mods is actually extremely unlikely. So unlikely that you might supposed that any specific set would require many hundreds of chaos orbs rolling them the normal way. What I can say is this: the Schematic would not propose to make such a crafting any cheaper, just more predictable.

--C

"
korn7809 wrote:
Changing the amount of things an item is used for changes its value. Changing what an item can give (in this game stats in crafting) will make some worth a lot more then another.

So pretty much the few items that would end up adding the best modifiers would then be worth more then the least liked ones.

In the end it changes the value of our currency items.

not neccesarilly not if for example if you need specific stats for your gear you need another piece of gear to take it off of that piece of gear.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info