The Schematic: A Fundamental Change to Crafting

I have an way this might be doable wile leaving current system intact...

There is another thread called "The Self Found League" that is as the name implies, finding your own items. No trading and modified drops to account for more solo play. Put this "Schematic" system in that league.
Well, I'm a big participant in both threads. Anyway, the Schematic is not intended to replace the current crafting system. It's an addition, not a substitution. The best way to think of it is like this:

Some people prefer Vegas
Others prefer 401Ks

These are very different people. Enable both, with friendly coexistence.

--C

You can't really compare real world economy to a games economy but I understand they are simply different forms of playing. But no one can tell how large of an effect on the economy something will have. So I guess it would have to be tried first before the final vote for it. But that is what beta is all about isn't it. =D
Sure. Although to be fair, the intro to the Schematic did not make a recommendation on how much currency to burn, so if it had a negative impact on the economy, you couldn't possibly blame me. ;-P

Later in the thread, I suggest that Schematics be "primed" with some currency, and otherwise require N amount of currency, where N represent the 50th percentile in the probability distribution for the thing the Schematic is attempting. So for example, for a 6L schematic, it would take 1 currency (of unspecified type) to prime it, and MM currencies to level it to ready status, where MM = the number of fusings where the distributions says that a 6L happens.

That's to say, the Schematic is slightly more expensive than random.

So it oughtn't harm the ecomomy even with my specific recommendation. For the record, I don't particularly care about that specific recommendation, and it was only included to explain my thinking to another poster. I will say I don't think the number ought to be "too much" higher than 50%. There's no need, and if it were significantly more expensive than that, this would be heavy punishment for schematic users.

--C

Last edited by Courageous on Apr 24, 2013, 10:13:15 PM
But if you made lets say getting a 6l easier then that in-turn would lower the price on 6L and increase price on for what ever items used to make 6L. Changing or adding what an item can be used for change the economy and we wont know how much until it is tried. So since this is beta perhaps a trial would work but that would probably be to much of a change to risk it. If it was closed it would have been much safer to try.
I like the schematics idea, it just needs a little tweak.

- A schematic drops just like any other loot and is very rare.
- There are many different types of schematics (stats, sockets etc)
- The schematic is empty on drop (most of them atleast).
- To create a usable schematic you will need to salvage an existing item.
- The salvaged item is applied to the schematic.
- The schematic is applied to an existing item.

Example:

You find a "Stat Schematic". Then you find an item with very good stats on it, but the item has only one socket and you don't have any fusings left. You also have a normal item of the same type, only this has 4 sockets on it. You would really want to have those nice stats on that item instead.
You "right click" on the schematic and then "left click" on the item with the nice stats. The item is salvaged and the stats are applied to the schematic. Item is destroyed.
Then you "right click" on the schematic again and "left click" on the normal item with 4 sockets. Voila, the stats are applied to the item :) That is crafting right?

IGN:NiteSlacker
"
But if you made lets say getting a 6l easier then that in-turn would lower the price on 6L and increase price on for what ever items used to make 6L.

Crafting a 6L is not "easy" or "hard," it is just, on average, "expensive."

The Schematic proposal, on the front page, makes no comment about how expensive a 6L would be. Later I do comment, and what I say is "make it cost the same" as random, plus have an additional fee. I don't say what that additional fee might be. For a 6L, it could be a whole 1EX. This was left to your imagination; it is not helpful to imagine it being otherwise, as it is intended that you take it that I mean that it be done right, when I say what I said. That is, in fact, why the parameters are vague.

It is phrased in such a way that if I were Chris' boss, and could make him make the Schematic, that he could go take it as phrased and make it balanced as he see's fit. That's another way of looking at it.

I try to often make my proposals like this, if you see what I mean.

Hope this helps.

--C
Last edited by Courageous on Apr 24, 2013, 10:46:50 PM
"
You find a "Stat Schematic". Then you find an item with very good stats on it, but the item has only one socket and you don't have any fusings left. You also have a normal item of the same type, only this has 4 sockets on it. You would really want to have those nice stats on that item instead.
You "right click" on the schematic and then "left click" on the item with the nice stats.

Hi, slarur.

Thank you for your helpful input.

I have not, I admit, thought a great deal about how to get full fledged new item crafting going with the schematic. I think it handles the case of jewelers, chromatics and fusings quite well. But with regards to whole new items, it could be a bit complicated. I'll explain why, by the way of a situation:

Suppose you have a combination of desirable mods. Suppose further that the right currency for leveling a full new item craft is a an alc. How many alc that set of mods worth?

Right now GGG certainly can do very easy math to calculate that worth for sockets, their color, and their links. But the combination of prefixes and affixes may be more challenging.

With that said, I like your idea, and think that's a perfectly valid way to prime/initialize that type of schematic. Maybe that and 1 chaos gets it ready to level.

If I could tweak it a bit more, I'd say do what you say, plus let you subtract some mods. A schematic might then have 3 preferred mods, and the rest "available". This would reduce the cost of that type of schematic (in terms of the level required to apply it), and then leave the rest of the mods to chance. See what I mean?

--C
"
Courageous wrote:
"
You "right click" on the schematic and then "left click" on the item with the nice stats.

Hi, slarur.

Thank you for your helpful input.

I have not, I admit, thought a great deal about how to get full fledged new item crafting going with the schematic. I think it handles the case of jewelers, chromatics and fusings quite well. But with regards to whole new items, it could be a bit complicated. I'll explain why, by the way of a situation:

Suppose you have a combination of desirable mods. Suppose further that the right currency for leveling a full new item craft is a an alc. How many alc that set of mods worth?

Right now GGG certainly can do very easy math to calculate that worth for sockets, their color, and their links. But the combination of prefixes and affixes may be more challenging.

With that said, I like your idea, and think that's a perfectly valid way to prime/initialize that type of schematic. Maybe that and 1 chaos gets it ready to level.

If I could tweak it a bit more, I'd say do what you say, plus let you subtract some mods. A schematic might then have 3 preferred mods, and the rest "available". This would reduce the cost of that type of schematic (in terms of the level required to apply it), and then leave the rest of the mods to chance. See what I mean?

--C

I see what you mean, but i think it will become too complicated. It has to be something that can be easily done and understood by anyone.
With my "tweak" to your idea you have the opportunity to craft a 4\5\6-linked item of your choice without using any fusings or jewellers, and it won't ruin existing economy because A: Schematics are rare, and B: you have to use (destroy) existing 4\5\6-linked item to craft the new one.

When it comes to stats it will be just the same. You basically just transfer the stats from an item to a new one of your choice. Easy crafting!
IGN:NiteSlacker
"
When it comes to stats it will be just the same. You basically just transfer the stats from an item to a new one of your choice. Easy crafting!

I get it, but what formula do you use to determine how much those stats should cost?

Also, where you say it would be "too complicated," I basically agree. It would cause the developer to have to develop GUI code they don't currently have. That's not very realistic. I was speaking hypothetically when I said "if I could tweak it more."

--C

Last edited by Courageous on Apr 24, 2013, 11:45:02 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info