Terrible texture streaming performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6sE6IHxFwU

Radeon RX580 latest driver.
i2600k
16gb Ram
Installed on an Samsung Evo 830 SSD

Notice the Breachlord right next to my character?

Me neither! :D :D :D
Last edited by Cyrix1337 on Apr 27, 2021, 7:16:20 AM
Youtube video below sums up my POE experience this league. Floor tiles not loaded, mobs spawn and despawn, character attacks don't show, etc. Let me know if you need any other info to help with diagnosis.

Edit: will reupload

Edit2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s76VyxGUtPw
Last edited by killos21 on Apr 27, 2021, 3:43:35 PM
I've been having insane FPS drops and stuttering, as well as obnoxiously slow texture streaming since 3.14 on DX11. It was fine just days before the patch as I was checking on the character and atlas migration from Ritual to Standard. On Vulkan the FPS is a little bit more stable, but I'm still getting far worse performance than before.

Things I've tried to no avail:

* Uninstalling the windows update that was causing problems for some people. This had zero impact on my performance.
* Updating again to microsoft's fix for the same update also had zero impact. (I verified that this was installed by checking the registry)
* Running the game with --waitforpreload. This seems to help a little bit with the missing texture issue, but overall performance is still terrible.
* Playing around with video settings in PoE and nvidia control panel. No luck there either. Aside from Vulkan being slightly less awful than DX11, none of the other settings seem to get performance back to pre-patch levels. There is always some stuttering on what I assume is when the game loads new assets. It does not seem to want to keep those assets in memory for very long because it keeps repeating on loading the same monsters and abilities in every single map.
* Updating to the latest Nvidia drivers for my GPU. No effect.
* Changing the location of the shader cache directory. (It was always on a fast SSD, and the same drive as the OS and the game itself.) This had no effect.
* Deleting the shader cache directories. Also no effect.

Here's my DxDiag paste
Last edited by carkasjak on Apr 27, 2021, 3:14:40 PM
PC:
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
16GB DDR4-3200/CL14
RX470 4GB
Windows 10 pro (v2004)

PoE Settings:
Resolution: 1920x1080
Renderer: DX11
Vsync: disabled
Antialiasing Quality: High
Lighting: Shadows + Global Illumination
Shadows + GI Quality: High
Sun Shadow Quality: High
Number of Lights: Medium
Bloom: 28%
Depth of Field: Disabled
Incursion / Ultimatum Effect: Enabled
Water Detail Level: High
Texture Quality: High
Texture Filtering: x16
Dynamic Culling: Disabled
Dynamic Resolution: Disabled
Engine Multithreading: Enabled

Game utilizes only about half of available VRAM, which could be used to avoid streaming and flushing of common textures (like orbs, items in inventory, etc).

Uninstalling windows update KB5001330 reduced severity of textures lagging to load. Now mostly occurs in inventory items and orbs images lagging to load (lag of 1-2 seconds), occasionally invisible skill effects in high tier map ultimatum encounters with ton of mobs (getting black square glitches instead).

Never ever had any issues as such before. Sent DXDiag to support.
Last edited by walentaz on Apr 27, 2021, 2:30:49 PM
"
killos21 wrote:
Youtube video below sums up my POE experience this league. Floor tiles not loaded, mobs spawn and despawn, character attacks don't show, etc. Let me know if you need any other info to help with diagnosis.

Edit: will reupload

Edit2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s76VyxGUtPw

WOW man, you got yourself into D4 pre-pre-pre-alf version of the game, where nothing works yet?
(looks at mine gameplay and how PoE looks this league... I GUESS I DID TOO!)

And bytheway, game is on SSD.
Still takes forever to load and render abilities and monster textures...
Meanwhile D3 on HDD runs smooth, very smooth.
Last edited by Aeon42 on Apr 27, 2021, 7:35:17 PM
The latest patch pretty much resolved this for me. How about you guys?
"
carkasjak wrote:
The latest patch pretty much resolved this for me. How about you guys?

It got better; but i feel like the tech isn't quite there yet still.

UI Elements get loaded in and out of memory a lot even though there is enough memory available/not utilized. It almost feels like the engine treats all texture on the screen the same way; when there really should be a tagging/priority system to them. The items that drop and land on the ground really can have the lowest kind of priority and only be loaded at the last moment. UI elements should always be loaded up and have the highest priority. Effects before Character/Monster models and environment last.
I dont feel like there is a hand-made logic in play that supports the usecase/poe but instead features purely programatic, indiscriminate loading of assets.

The performance in maps got better - but it still is worse then it was before the texture streaming updates.

Here you can see texutres missing. I restarted the client aaaand:

Even more stuff was missing. LMAO.

To be fair after a couple seconds they did load in; but that is not really acceptable in the day and age of Nanite and Lumen.
I still have poor asset streaming even with the 'aggressive ram usage'... https://youtu.be/7X3CDFUX1dg

I run the same map twice to show how it still dumps assets to force reload. At some times some assets stop attempting to load and will stay in the low res view until I exit and relog in.

I am running a core i7 940 (8 cores), rtx 2070 with 8 gigs, and 48 gigs of system ram. The game is on a spinning disk drive though (sata).

I know nvme would help some, however this level of performance is unique to this league and with the changes for asset streaming. Last league was nothing this poor on the same system.
"
Scripter wrote:
I've noticed (as well as a friend of mine) that after a certain amount of time / zones (a few hours) every map needs to reload spell textures. ...

The degradation you are describing over time basically happens to me, but instead of seeing bad texture streaming my FPS drops to < 10 and all the visuals start to flicker. I posted about it here. I have no choice but to restart the client which resets all and everything goes back to normal (for a few hours).

The game client is not "clearing" or managing whatever it needs to clear or manage properly.
✰CARD✰ The Survivalist
I can’t buy any more big supporter packs because the forum only supports showing 7 legacy tags.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info