At this year's Game Developers Conference in San Francisco this March, Chris will present a talk entitled "Designing Path of Exile to be Played Forever". While the scheduled date and time for the talk has yet to be locked down, this post describes what the talk covers in case you're attending GDC and want to attend!

Talk Description:
Since its release in 2013, the player base of 'Path of Exile' has grown from hundreds of thousands to millions of active players by having a plan for sustainable long-term development.

In this session, Chris Wilson will describe how 'Path of Exile' has been designed to retain and grow its community for the very long term. He will cover how to structure releases into seasons with predictable release dates and scope, how to re-use content for rapid development, how to use procedural generation to keep content from feeling stale, how to employ multiple overlapping axes of randomness for additional replayability, how to design deep gameplay systems that keep players engaged and how to grow a community over a long period of time.

Takeaway
Attendees will gain understanding of how to design online games for maximum replayability as well as how to foster a community for long-term growth.

Intended Audience
Anyone working on a games-as-a-service game title.

The page in the GDC Session Scheduler for this talk is here.
Posted by 
on
Grinding Gear Games
First!

Congratulations to Chris, that's gonna be an interesting occasion! :-)
The opposite of knowledge is not illiteracy, but the illusion of knowledge.
Last edited by ArtCrusade on Jan 29, 2019, 5:01:11 PM
nice!
"Path of Exile's engine is currently modern, lean and fast." - Chris Wilson, September 19th, 2019
He'd better learn from others how to foster a community from beaing too toxic, and how make game not requiring top-tier PC to show kinda average picture.
Learning from others is better than learning it the hard way...
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Last edited by MortalKombat3 on Jan 29, 2019, 5:10:42 PM
The dream game that never dies :O
Well. Great to hear about that. Will you post a link or add a reminder once the interview hits the www? Especially interested in design reuseability since I am not very proud of the current state / frequency of design reuse in the game.
IGN: ??? (Fips_PoE - Conquerors Of The Atlas, Metamorph League)

Originally joined: Jan 29, 2013.
Congratulations
congratz ^_^
Trust your mind and strengthen your abilities!
A lesson for the other developers :)
I am passionate about game design, I will be happy to hear more about my beloved game from this perspective :]
Can't wait, Chris. I know you will rock, you always do ! :D

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info