Skill Rework - Ice Nova and Vortex

"
Aynix wrote:
Could we see some love to Arctic Breath? I love this skill, but its just so outdated at this point...

Yeah, I'm definitely hoping for some Arctic Breath love because it's been languishing in sadness for ages.
"
Whatever you said here

I see, youw ere quietly changing the goal-posts. This wa snot what you wrote initially and I replied to. Topic was: "why is there another mechanic?" answer: "its the same as always". The question was not: "do you like the mechanic?"

So I am not answering the rest of your post because moving the goal-post is rude.
Imo vortex should've been first cold channeling spell which has more damage over time and area of effect per stage, and a cold blow+pulling monsters a bit closer at the end of channeling. With no weird frostbolt interactions, yup.
Last edited by serpetma4 on Oct 31, 2018, 2:28:42 PM
Vortex already has a small AOE, and you're making it smaller?
Can we get a channeled cold spell/skill now please?
"
serpetma4 wrote:
Imo vortex should've been first cold channeling spell which has more damage over time and area of effect per stage, and a cold blow+pulling monsters a bit closer at the end of channeling. With no weird frostbolt interactions, yup.

"
I have never made a suggestion over this but i was really hopping for the Vortex to get a rework to a channeling skill to be something like Ray of Frost with Steel Storm rune from D3 and separate it from a Cold Snap/Ice Nova look alike spell.

I believe this would be the best outcome.

"
There was a time Vortex was something with chain explosions of HoI with AoE gem before all the aoe slaughter.

But as i said before in this post Vortex could have been a channeling cold skill like Ray of Frost with Steel Storm rune from D3. It fits the name and it could have been a real rework separating it from Ice Nova/Cold Snap look alike skill.

Its what i suggested twice earlier in this thread.
Last edited by PureRhymes on Oct 31, 2018, 9:10:16 PM
"

I'm not a D3 player.
I could say: hey, let's make Ice Nova just like a Storm Gust in RO, but I doubt many ppl will understand me without googling it.
Last edited by serpetma4 on Oct 31, 2018, 9:24:30 PM
"
serpetma4 wrote:
"

I'm not a D3 player.

I am not either havent played it since 2013 when i bought closed beta ticket for PoE, but that rune does exactly what you said. Increases the aoe while chenneling but without the pull you say. Basically you suggest that rune.
Last edited by PureRhymes on Oct 31, 2018, 9:25:11 PM
"
serpetma4 wrote:
"

I'm not a D3 player.
I could say: hey, let's make Ice Nova just like a Storm Gust in RO, but I doubt many ppl will understand me without googling it.

Most of the playerbase including devs come from Diablo era so they do get it.
Okay after rereading the posted changes, what the current cold spell options are and 20 pages of feedback in this thread, I think these changes are all wrong.

Why?
This is more ranged AoE options. How many other ranged AoE options does Cold have? 4 (Arctic Breath, Cold Snap, Frost Bomb and Siphoning Trap) and that is not including Frost Wall and Glacial Cascade. There is theming, and then there is degeneracy.
How about non ranged AoEs? Ice Nova and Discharge. The damage changes to Ice Nova might make it worth using without the +40% damage from a Frost Bolt combo. But then you've made it trigger thrice on Frostbolts if they exist, so I expect it will just get nerfed because of the potential of the combo.
How about Channelling cold spells? 0.

Both spells link in with Frostbolt only. Arctic Breath, Freezing Pulse and Ice Spear are also cold spell projectiles.

Greatly increased interactions with Frostbolts on both skills. These combos can trigger multiple times, and at longer range. To balance that the base skills will probably be nerfed into uselessness.

What would I suggest?
Drop the Frostbolt interactions from both of them. Make it a support gem or Threshold Jewel.

Ice Nova:
Just make it a good nova spell. If you are surrounded at close range you want a mass Freeze, so make it Freeze. Chilled enemies should not be at close range, and there is already a Hypothermia support gem for more damage against Chilled enemies, so chuck that effect in the bin. You could probably get away with a cooldown on this one if it lets you make it powerful enough to be good.

Vortex:
People are asking for a cold channelling skill. So why not make it a channelling skill that creates a Chilling Vortex at the target that gains size on extra casts and can slowly move around to follow the cursor. This one is just asking for Hypothermia support, but that isn't a bad thing.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info