Gear progression in PoE is like D3 with AH

I haven't read every single page here but has anybody mentioned CAPTCHA as a solution to the bot/auto buyout problem? That is the go-to argument against the AH whenever its brought up: "But bots will just insta-buy everything and corner the market! Oh noes!" As far as I know bots can't beat CAPTCHA, and how bad would it really be to take 5 seconds to do one for each buyout? 5 seconds and you have your item vs having to whisper 10 more people... Easy answer for me.
"
VigilanteCat wrote:
I haven't read every single page here but has anybody mentioned CAPTCHA as a solution to the bot/auto buyout problem? That is the go-to argument against the AH whenever its brought up: "But bots will just insta-buy everything and corner the market! Oh noes!" As far as I know bots can't beat CAPTCHA, and how bad would it really be to take 5 seconds to do one for each buyout? 5 seconds and you have your item vs having to whisper 10 more people... Easy answer for me.

And dont forget that we need CAPTCHA when farming maps, to prevent market flooding with bot-farmed items and currency... And of course, we dont care about "average Joe", who will be forced to enter CATCHA's to be able to do anything in the game :).
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:

And dont forget that we need CAPTCHA when farming maps, to prevent market flooding with bot-farmed items and currency... And of course, we dont care about "average Joe", who will be forced to enter CATCHA's to be able to do anything in the game :).

Bots already do this...what is your point? The only thing that would need a CAPTCHA would be buying out items in the AH. I'm not offering a solution to botting as a whole, only a solution to bots cornering the market in an auction house environment.
"
Zaphkier wrote:
"
FrodoFraggins wrote:
"
Zaphkier wrote:

-

yeah the extra steps means it's not an AH - move along

they removed the instant buyout of an auction and the ability to search in game. and so again, it's just a slightly improved version of D2 trading. It is not close to being an AH

Guess you don't know what an "Auction House" actually is. Educate yourself and come back.
(Cuz yeah, instant buyout =/= AH. It's only a feature.)

We're talking about video game Auction Houses - we all know how they work and most offer buyout options ...

So yeah this game does not have the AH functionality people are asking for and you know it - but I'd adding you to my ignore list - good job
Last edited by FrodoFraggins on Jun 25, 2018, 3:53:55 PM
Honestly, I think the best solution would be to put the current trade website directly into the game that reads players current status more accurately then a slightly delayed API.

Keep the interaction with players... keep everything.

Just poe.trade or it's GGG equivalent directly in the game. Alt+tab shouldn't be a required feature in any properly designed game imo.

"
Prizy wrote:
Honestly, I think the best solution would be to put the current trade website directly into the game that reads players current status more accurately then a slightly delayed API.

Keep the interaction with players... keep everything.

Just poe.trade or it's GGG equivalent directly in the game. Alt+tab shouldn't be a required feature in any properly designed game imo.

in game searches may make it too easy to trade - which is what they want to avoid. My guess is that's a line they don't want to cross
"
FrodoFraggins wrote:
"
Zaphkier wrote:

Guess you don't know what an "Auction House" actually is. Educate yourself and come back.
(Cuz yeah, instant buyout =/= AH. It's only a feature.)

We're talking about video game Auction Houses - we all know how they work and most offer buyout options ...

So yeah this game does not have the AH functionality people are asking for and you know it - but I'd adding you to my ignore list - good job

What you and many people are doing in those threads is low-quality sophism. It's not o-kay.
So feel free to add me to any sort of list you want so you go and try to make yourself a nice and cosy safe-space. Nobody cares.

I have exposed facts.

Still waiting for any sort of real argumentation against them to prove me we're not already knees-deep into the oh so feared AH situation.

I'm a patient man.

Agree that we are already in the AH system, just a really, really, really bad one.

Gear inflation is there, its just really really really annoying to deal with.

But, the system is not really very well built for SSF, particularly at maps, so you have the worst of both worlds.

Trading is necessary at some point and they dont build around SSF because trading exists. But, its horrible, not fun, destroys game immersion, is similar to doing taxes and the DMV.

Honestly, I dont care if an AH is the right solution. Build the game around SSF for all I care. Or limit trades to 1 per 3 days, except for maps, and institute a full working AH. Or something else.

Just sitting on this is bleh.
"
FrodoFraggins wrote:
in game searches may make it too easy to trade

Da fuck!

'Comfortable' and 'easy' is not the same things. Why most of you just confuse a concepts?
E = mc^(OMG)/wtf
"
DoEFotGS wrote:
"
FrodoFraggins wrote:
in game searches may make it too easy to trade

Da fuck!

'Comfortable' and 'easy' is not the same things. Why most of you just confuse a concepts?

Semantics police? You sound like a fun guy

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info