Arcane Surge - why?

i'd only put it in my main link it there was no better choice. atm i use it on my essence drainer in harbinger league. it was perfect to link with contagion. that way it's always up. great little gem. i love it.

sidtherat is correct though. it is strange that only casters got a gem like this.
maybe it was because melee got ancestral warchief/protector in an earlier update. those two offer the same type of bonus. so it's even now.
Last edited by kompaniet on Aug 5, 2017, 2:07:10 PM
"
There's nothing wrong with it stop with your ''HURR IT'S UNHEALTHY'' EEEEE

So obvious that you don't want it touched so you can milk it. Still utter shit design though. Ah wait spells have been totally UP for like forever! (lol)
about the only redeeming quality of arcane surge is that maaybe, just maybe it can bring self-cast curse back. I doubt it, because automation is just too good, and you cant even get as much implicit curse effect while casting manually (a huge fuck you to non-auto-lovers), but still

otherwise, yeah. arcane surge+oos is pretty much mandatory. shit ziz even said so much on one of the podcasts before the release. and mandatory things are never good design.

theres also the borderline bug interaction with self-cast immortal call where immortal call's buff duraiton applies to arcane surge as well. you get like 20+ seconds on arcane surge with 3 endurance charges lol
"
kompaniet wrote:
i'd only put it in my main link it there was no better choice. atm i use it on my essence drainer in harbinger league. it was perfect to link with contagion. that way it's always up. great little gem. i love it.

sidtherat is correct though. it is strange that only casters got a gem like this.
maybe it was because melee got ancestral warchief/protector in an earlier update. those two offer the same type of bonus. so it's even now.

I never actually thought about it this way. Good point.

The mana scaling makes a difference. I'm sure if it becomes an issue with simply throwing it on a curse or some such thing, that they will keep the roof at 400 and just raise the floor for it
It gets funnier. Arcane surge doesn't work with blood magic (or at least I haven't gotten it to work with scorching ray or flammability, one of those should have worked right?). So it doesn't help all casters, just ones with "mana". As if blood magic didn't already have enough weaknesses, now we get to add one more.
"
ghoulavenger wrote:
It gets funnier. Arcane surge doesn't work with blood magic (or at least I haven't gotten it to work with scorching ray or flammability, one of those should have worked right?). So it doesn't help all casters, just ones with "mana". As if blood magic didn't already have enough weaknesses, now we get to add one more.

that is right. i tested that in beta and couldn't get it to work with blood magic. i had the keystone on my marauder. it would seem like it only works with mana. i assume it won't work with energy shield either but that remains to be confirmed.
Seems fine to me. Ruthless is 113% more damage every third hit, now think about the attack speed most people have. Arcane surge only goes to 20% more, and that's with spending 400 mana over 4 seconds to keep it up all the time. You aren't gonna be able to do that just throwing it on a curse, well unless you want to waste time casting the curse over and over when you could be dpsing instead.
"
Telzen wrote:
You aren't gonna be able to do that just throwing it on a curse, well unless you want to waste time casting the curse over and over when you could be dpsing instead.

Sure, just ignore totem builds that can afford to do that without any losses whatsoever, and the fact that a lot of people will use orb of storms to trigger elemental overload. Either one will have no problems using arcane surge at the cost of almost nothing. And the point where you'd need the damage anyway is against bosses, not against trash, so is effectively a boss killer anyway.
"
ghoulavenger wrote:
"
Telzen wrote:
You aren't gonna be able to do that just throwing it on a curse, well unless you want to waste time casting the curse over and over when you could be dpsing instead.

Sure, just ignore totem builds that can afford to do that without any losses whatsoever, and the fact that a lot of people will use orb of storms to trigger elemental overload. Either one will have no problems using arcane surge at the cost of almost nothing. And the point where you'd need the damage anyway is against bosses, not against trash, so is effectively a boss killer anyway.
Lots of builds can take advantage of different things, some better than others. Either way its 20% more damage and some cast speed, there are a lot of better gems that no one bitches about.
"
Telzen wrote:
"
ghoulavenger wrote:
"
Telzen wrote:

Lots of builds can take advantage of different things, some better than others. Either way its 20% more damage and some cast speed, there are a lot of better gems that no one bitches about.

The reason people are bitching about it is that it is effectively an extra damage link with no reason not to use it. This means its just basic power creep.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info