Arcane Surge - why?

"
Xeledon2132 wrote:
"
There's nothing wrong with it stop with your ''HURR IT'S UNHEALTHY'' EEEEE
Uhhh. That's a bad sign. When I_NO defends it it's probably stupidly op.

This.
"Metas rotate all the time, eventually the developers will buff melee"
PoE 2013-2018
Honestly it is a bit odd to compare it to those 3 and technically onslaught is also not required to be in your main link, you could cull with something else and it is mostly a clear speed support so you can easily switch it for bosses.

For total power Arcane Surge is likely the best followed by Ruthless. However since those 6 tutorial gems are things you get directly at lvl1 Onslaught is the most impressive, because it actually speeds you up a lot. So for power I would say Arcane Surge > Ruthless > Pierce/Chance to Bleed and for leveling my list goes Onslaught > Pierce > Arcane Surge. Proliferation and Lesser Poison are pretty much useless at this point even though as a shadow you get a 100% chance to poison with viperstrike with it so it is decent if you do a Viper Strike build in every other case it is bad.
problem with Ruthless is that it is a gem that has to compete for a main-link socket. there are several gems that can do that (more than 5) so it will never see any use (unless being mathematically-better than a competitor gem) - and even then dealing with REFLECT when your hit can both CRIT and be RUTHLESS can be an exciting edavour

so you CANNOT get an effect of this 'equalizer bonus' gem without using it in a main-link. ergo: it is pointless except for leveling

Onslaught - you can link it with a movement skill but there are already other links you want there. mandatory Faster Attacks and Fortify (why Fortify is the fiasco it is still?). dedicating 4 link to a movement skill is a luxury. but still - you would have to actually KILL with your movement skill. if you kill with it - you do not need the buff..

and then we have Arcane Surge: easy application, lasting effect, does not require main-link to be socketed.

these 3 are in two different groups: 2 that wont see much if any use and 1 that will be used by EVERY SINGLE CASTER OUT THERE

how did it go: if everyone uses that then maybe - just maybe - it is bit broken?
Last edited by sidtherat on Aug 4, 2017, 11:58:34 AM
Ruthless works as an alternative to crit for RT builds and scales well with high APS builds due to how it works. Onslaught gives an extra form of movement speed during the part of the early game where you don't have movement skills yet, so it's technically, arguably, the best single gem in the game for races.

Arcane Surge is pretty dumb, but the other gems are hugely undersold here.
Like i said on the beta feedback forums.

There is one caster that wont use

orb of storms - inc crit - pcoc - arkane surge

and its a summoner. And even in their case the mana reg/cast speed can be yum with all the natural skill effect they grab.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
VolcanoElixir wrote:
Ruthless works as an alternative to crit for RT builds and scales well with high APS builds due to how it works. Onslaught gives an extra form of movement speed during the part of the early game where you don't have movement skills yet, so it's technically, arguably, the best single gem in the game for races.

Arcane Surge is pretty dumb, but the other gems are hugely undersold here.

Ruthless is nothing more than 36% more damage multiplier on average at lvl 20. There are at least 5 similar gems already in the game so the only reason to use it is when it is numerically better than other 5. the stuns are cool but.. currently stun is a gimmick of the 'more of what is not needed' type. stunning bosses? doubtfull

Onslaught is cool and i agree that 8secs of 'clear speed buff' is neat. but you have to kill with skill it is linked to. if that happen to be a movement skill then.. you not really need the support in the first place

and then - Arcane Surge that fits everyone and DOES NOT require a socket

my prediction is:
99% casters use Arcane Surge
1% usage of both remaining gems. combined.
"
Ruthless is nothing more than 36% more damage multiplier on average at lvl 20. There are at least 5 similar gems already in the game so the only reason to use it is when it is numerically better than other 5. the stuns are cool but.. currently stun is a gimmick of the 'more of what is not needed' type. stunning bosses? doubtfull
That is fair, but that's still strong enough to be worth using.

"
Onslaught is cool and i agree that 8secs of 'clear speed buff' is neat. but you have to kill with skill it is linked to. if that happen to be a movement skill then.. you not really need the support in the first place
It is at its most valuable when you can't even get a movement skill yet and there isn't even much else you can link. Players need to kill anyway to get quicksilver flask charges back up.

The earlygame is starved for movement options, Onslaught is going to be amazing because of that.
both are strong ofc

but you can use Arcane Surge ALONG your main skill - turning it into 7th link. you cannot do that with remaining two

why?
I have outsourced it as 7 link. Almost 10 seconds duration lol.

Can anyone recommend a high mana cost spell for 3 link (arcane surge + increased duration + <insert spell gem> :P?
"
zzang wrote:
I have outsourced it as 7 link. Almost 10 seconds duration lol.

Can anyone recommend a high mana cost spell for 3 link (arcane surge + increased duration + <insert spell gem> :P?
I'd just use a curse. Their mana costs go up to 50 (supported by Inc. Duration being 140%) and being able to get both a buff and debuff in one very fast cast will make up for not having a fully leveled arcane surge.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info