Donald Trump and US politics

"
They already do.
And they ship many from Japan as well. I think Trump's wording left much to be desired: "Try building your cars in the United States" is essentially suggesting what they're already doing: trying it out. However, the second half of that sentence, "instead of shipping them over," means that the comment in full context is not necessarily naive. Still, should be "Why not build..." instead, because they're already trying it.

I swear you guys go over every Trump quote with the finest-toothed of combs.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Nov 6, 2017, 1:23:03 AM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
They already do.
And they ship many from Japan as well. I think Trump's wording left much to be desired: "Try building your cars in the United States" is essentially suggesting what they're already doing: trying it out. However, the second half of that sentence, "instead of shipping them over," means that the comment in full context is not necessarily naive. Still, should be "Why not build..." instead, because they're already trying it.

I swear you guys go over every Trump quote with the finest-toothed of combs.

People with very fine toothed combs usually have lice.
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
baka gaijins are at it again

Spoiler

GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Xavderion wrote:
Spoiler
Are you assuming their nationality?
Spoiler
Well, it's Japan, so probably pretty safe bet.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Nov 6, 2017, 1:46:57 AM
"
Xavderion wrote:

Spoiler

There you go
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
CanHasPants wrote:
What I mean to say is not that institutions cannot be racist, surely they can and do do wrong, but rather it is not systemic.
It depends on how you draw the boundaries of the system. In any case, I don't think simple descriptions at the maximum zoom-out level do justice to the dynamic landscape of a culture war. There are certainly institutions of anti-white racism; there are certainly institutions of pro-white racism; there is a lot of ground controlled by neither; it's a diverse landscape.

I think the only safe generalization about the whole is: the neutral areas are shrinking. And that's bad, because both flavors of racism are cancer.

Agree with the emboldened; to the rest, isn’t that what this whole line conversation was about? Simple generalizations about macro systems, and the resultant formation of moral and political beliefs?

Spoiler
"
faerwin wrote:
The thing with "It's okay to be white" is that the context in which it is used will generally be as a mean to dismiss inequalities of people of skin color.

There can be some exceptions when it comes to areas that are mostly colored, especially if there's racism/oppression against white people (gangs, ghettos and arabian countries come to mind) and the message of "it's okay to be white" is one of integration and equality but I can assure you that the vast majority of its usage is not gonna be for that purpose.

First, you have to understand why it's a thing, who could feel it's something to say and finally, what's the message it tries to pass.

First, it comes from a derivative of "all lives matters", which is something that's only used to minimize the "black lives matters" and to essentially dismiss racism and police discrimination that black people suffer in the US. What "Black lives matters" really try to say is that the lives of black people are just as important as those whites (Obviously, all lives are equals but white privilege is a reality in the US) and that they should be treated equally instead of being victims of profiling and a much higher risk of death from what should be a regular police control. People that say "all lives matters" understand that. Still, what they want to truly say is that this movement is not warranted and that things shouldn't change because that would (somehow) give privilege to black people and/or remove some white privilege. Only someone that's intolerant (at the very least) or straight up racist would say that as a retaliation to BLM. Now, the whole "it's okay to be white" is a lesser variant of "all lives matters" but it's perpetuated by the same people. In reality, it means that it's okay to have white privilege (again, in the US) and that you shouldn't advocate for equity of colored people because that means that you would lose that privilege. The context is what gives it meaning. In this very context, it's pretty much the same as saying "it's okay if the other races doesn't have it as good as whites", which is a view that SHOULD be opposed by everyone.

Now, of course there's nothing inherently wrong with being white. It's something that you have no control over and it's something that just doesn't matter in who you are, what you can do and what you will do. it's just a skin pigmentation and that's it. Also, there's nothing wrong with being white, black, red, brown, yellow or any other skin color that there is/could be.

If you truly believe that some people are exercising racism towards whites, a more appropriate answer would be "skin color doesn't matter to me".
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
The newest outrage pushed by the fake news media:

Spoiler

What actually happened:

Spoiler

GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
CanHasPants wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
CanHasPants wrote:
What I mean to say is not that institutions cannot be racist, surely they can and do do wrong, but rather it is not systemic.
It depends on how you draw the boundaries of the system. In any case, I don't think simple descriptions at the maximum zoom-out level do justice to the dynamic landscape of a culture war. There are certainly institutions of anti-white racism; there are certainly institutions of pro-white racism; there is a lot of ground controlled by neither; it's a diverse landscape.

I think the only safe generalization about the whole is: the neutral areas are shrinking. And that's bad, because both flavors of racism are cancer.

Agree with the emboldened; to the rest, isn’t that what this whole line conversation was about? Simple generalizations about macro systems, and the resultant formation of moral and political beliefs?
Eh, I guess. But really, it's the emboldened part that I care about. Tribalism is the ancient, brutish enemy of liberalism, and I genuinely fear that we might not be able to get hyper-partisan identirarian politics under control before the center shrinks into irrelevance.

It happened in Nazi Germany: brownshirts vs Antifa (worth researching if you haven't yet). It can happen again, but this time on a much broader scale.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Nov 6, 2017, 4:00:27 AM
"
Xavderion wrote:
The newest outrage pushed by the fake news media:

Spoiler

What actually happened:

Spoiler

Doesn't help his case. It make it worse, he was told what to do and disregard it. BTW: Don't overfeed the koi. Edit: Shinzo Abe and Trump overfeed the fishes.

Last edited by deathflower on Nov 6, 2017, 5:38:10 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info