Please, Fix Labyrinth Timer

Speaking from waterfall development experience, what most people are asking for is to add an entirely new variable that is tracked, stored, and routinely referenced, based off an entirely new set of parameters. This has implications far beyond just what you're requesting. The coding, which many have eluded to here, is relatively simple, but you have to understand how their system is setup, to really take into consideration how much effort adding this variable would be. (which many here don't have insight into)

If the time-stamp logic is not modularized, this would require re-tweaking a bunch of sub programs that execute on input (ie, when you move after the "wait period") which, even if the coding was simple, would require extensive QA testing to ensure it didn't bog down normal processes. (like trying to reload Dock's to farm Midnights)

At best, adding this variable would cause additional stuttering on movement/load into a new zone, and at worst, would require revamping all date/time handling within POE. Either way, as mentioned previously by GGG, the QA testing alone would far outweigh the benefits of adding this functionality at this time.

As a free to play game, GGG has to consider what will add the most benefit to the player-base as a whole. If they pursued this one fix, it might mean delaying another expansion by months, if not entire fiscal quarters.

As someone who has recently started to try to rank on speed runs with an Uber Capable build, out of pure competitiveness, I realize that if I were truly wanting to compete for a top 10 place, I would need to develop a build specifically designed to speed run the LAB. While tweaking your Latency and Computer power will pay dividends, those gains pale in comparison to some of the builds designed to compete for the top ranks on speed runs. Some of these builds are beating other builds by 15+ seconds. That time alone could be made up by RNG. So, while i know most of the community won't take this into consideration, I would much prefer GGG work on developing new and unique content, rather than adjust the time counter on the LAB so that the vocal minority can have their E-Ego's satisfied.
"
Calgus wrote:
At best, adding this variable would cause additional stuttering on movement/load into a new zone, and at worst, would require revamping all date/time handling within POE.
U wat?
As of now, it is "store two timestamps - one when entering the lab, another when Izaro is down"
OP asks for it to be "store 2*x+2 timestamps, x being number of zones changed, (2x+1)th for entering the last zone, and the last one for killing Izaro". Yes, this is some work to do but "revamping all date/time handling within POE"? really? you serious?
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
"
silumit wrote:
"
Calgus wrote:
At best, adding this variable would cause additional stuttering on movement/load into a new zone, and at worst, would require revamping all date/time handling within POE.
U wat?
As of now, it is "store two timestamps - one when entering the lab, another when Izaro is down"
OP asks for it to be "store 2*x+2 timestamps, x being number of zones changed, (2x+1)th for entering the last zone, and the last one for killing Izaro". Yes, this is some work to do but "revamping all date/time handling within POE"? really? you serious?

It's not that simple. Storing something on load can be completely different than on movement after loading into a new zone.

What would be the triggering condition for it to store the date/time stamp? How would you differentiate this from other zones? (ie... would it be only execute this store variable in LAB? this would require a check on the zone prior to storing or LAB specific coding)

My larger point being, there are a lot of details we don't have to just say this is a quick fix. If GGG states that this would require a lot of work, saying "store another variable" is not taking into consideration the complexity of the coding of this game.

Again, my stance is that if the masses want to compete for LAB times, you'd first have to create a LAB running build, specifically designed for speed, to even compete with some of the top runners. If you get to this point, and are consistently within the top 20, RNG will play as much if not more of a role compared to load times.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info