Controlled Destruction gem - a huge design oversight?

wanted to post something similar in support gem feedback section

if it was designed to buff non-crit casters to reduce the crit/non-crit gap, then it is a design fail. people can stack now lots of spell crit (one of my recent casters has 95% crit chance) thus 100% reduced crit chance is only a small downside. So crit casters get much more damage in total numbers from this gem.. it should say "50% less crit chance" or smthing..

but ofc, we dont know if the original design was the one I mention
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
Last edited by Ludvator on Jan 20, 2016, 1:37:20 PM
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
I honestly think it should have the critical strikes deal no extra damage thing that Kongors maul has. you can still crit with a kongors, it freezes, ignites, shocks, the full works, you just dont get any crit multiplier.

Hmm, maybe it could be abused in a way with some CoC setups, if you're using a low crit spell with few spell crit bonuses it could still be a damage boost. I'd sooner cut all connection of this gem with anything crit related, "can't crit" and that's that, job done.

One other thing I'd like to do to it is change the bonus to 'more hit damage' instead of more spell damage and I've got a few decent reasons for it.
- no reason for non-crit casters getting the boost and non-crit attackers getting the boot
- it would be awesome for CoMK builds, not many supports work on both attacks and spells
- another good general support for minions, which aren't really suited for crit anyway
- essence drain has too many strong supports currently
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Jan 20, 2016, 1:36:33 PM
Crit has been blamed for a lot of game balance issues but GGG up until now has not given us any real alternative to scale damage other than crit. Controlled destruction is a good step towards diversifying end game damage scaling which at the moment is either stacking:
-mores(very few builds can do this to great effect)
-stacking strength/IW (very very very few builds can do this)
-crown of eyes/PA (praise rngesus this thing is long dead)
-stacking crit(literally any build can do this).

Outside of spellcasters, ranged attackers and melee have very limited damage amplifiers outside of the single allowable more gem + stacking a ton of crit. Have you ever tried making a non crit bow build? It's terrible.

I would really like a similar gem that works for ranged attacks and melee attacks to complete the trifecta.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
Last edited by Nephalim on Jan 20, 2016, 1:37:17 PM
"
Nephalim wrote:
Have you ever tried making a non crit bow build? It's terrible.

Don't remind me, that's why I suggested it.

"
Nephalim wrote:
I would really like a similar gem that works for ranged attacks and melee attacks to complete the trifecta.

Interestingly enough, I'd like to see a few supports joining hands, so to speak.

- Faster Attacks and Faster Casting (Accelerate)
Because no skill can stack their effects so there's no con here, and it would be very nice for generalist spectre setups and also for that dysfunctional skeleton mage thingy.

- Increased Crit Strikes and Additional Accuracy (Focus)
Because either of them isn't really worth a slot on its own.

- Increased Crit Damage and Blind (Blindside)
Blind is very nice but you don't really see it used too much outside of totems and some trigger spell setups.

- MPD and PPAD (PAD)
Because you can't deal both melee and projectile damage anyway, just 'more physical attack damage - less attack speed'.

- Hypothermia and Ice Bite (Icecream Overdose)
Because they kinda go together and are currently slightly underpowered, Ice Bite mostly because there are cheaper ways to generate frenzy charges.

Last edited by raics on Jan 20, 2016, 1:57:48 PM
"
raics wrote:
"
Nephalim wrote:

- Increased Crit Strikes and Additional Accuracy
Because either of them isn't really worth a slot on its own, to put it mildly.

Ha! I actually use crit strikes on my elemental reaver to help shock/freeze for Herald of ice and power charge generation and because FA is kind of bad with so multistrike and so much APS already.

Additional accuracy is absolutely a lost cause, not sure why it's been in ints current form for so long when accuracy has now become such a big deal with the death of resolute technique.

"
- MPD and PPAD
Because you can't deal both melee and projectile damage anyway, just 'more physical attack damage - less attack speed'.

I think the only time this might not be true is frost blades which will deal one each stage but it's not like that skill is anywhere near where it should be anyways.
"

Blind is very nice but you don't really see it used too much outside of totems and some trigger spell setups.

This is actually profoundly powerful even in crit dam's miserable state at the moment. Of course you open yourself to instant reflect death even if you do manage to effectively evade/dodge most incoming attacks. Can this gem be made to be viable again after GGG's crit massacre.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
Last edited by Nephalim on Jan 20, 2016, 1:59:47 PM
I agree with Nephalim on Increased Critical Strike. It's on par with Increased Critical Damage in most of my crit builds. When I can only slot one, I often prefer ICS, for damage consistency. It also help applying status ailment more frequently.
Ranger builds list: /917964
When two witches watch two watches, which witch watches which watch?
If the witches watching watches watch the same watch while you watch which witch watches which watch, they switch watches; then, the watch switching witches watch which watch you watch.
Watching witches watch watches is not for the faint of heart...
The penalty should remain the same, but the bonus should be changed to "x% more Spell Damage on non-Critical Strike." Since crits deal x1.5 damage, a crit is still always technically better.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jan 20, 2016, 2:02:19 PM
"
raics wrote:
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
I honestly think it should have the critical strikes deal no extra damage thing that Kongors maul has. you can still crit with a kongors, it freezes, ignites, shocks, the full works, you just dont get any crit multiplier.

Hmm, maybe it could be abused in a way with some CoC setups, if you're using a low crit spell with few spell crit bonuses it could still be a damage boost. I'd sooner cut all connection of this gem with anything crit related, "can't crit" and that's that, job done.

One other thing I'd like to do to it is change the bonus to 'more hit damage' instead of more spell damage and I've got a few decent reasons for it.
- no reason for non-crit casters getting the boost and non-crit attackers getting the boot
- it would be awesome for CoMK builds, not many supports work on both attacks and spells
- another good general support for minions, which aren't really suited for crit anyway
- essence drain has too many strong supports currently

with coc you have so much generic global crit chance along with power charges to get close to crit capping your attack that the reality is you crit with those spells, a lot, an awful awful lot. The number 1 coc wand on standard has crit chance, crit for spells, crit multi as its 3 suffixes. Even 5%s will be pushing 30-40% crit chance, and given the volume of spells they put out thats fairly consistent. Also coc isnt really something where you use supports like that, I mean its 44% more damage right? So, you take it out, put in a second spell, now you have 2x 100% damage spells. I think only at the point where you have 3 spells would the gem outweigh a 4th in theory as 44% of 3 spells = more than another 100% spell, but that discounts the crazy amount of crits those spells score, I dont see it ever realistically being a thing with no multi.

No crit is also a thing, with romira's banquet you get power charges on non crit but lose them on a crit. So cold snappers who need charges to bypass cooldowns etc spec resolute technique to get rid of their crit chance, I dunno if conduit supports do them same, theres the new mom amulet that uses power charges. So theres potential abuse in 0 crit chance too.
"
SaiyanZ wrote:
Most Mjloner builds have been using Iron Will for the last year. I was surprised to see that this new gem actually beats something so established. i.e Iron Will was already better than just about every other support.

IW power would depend on how much increased damage and str you have. It could beat penetration gem on non-resistant trash mobs, but never on high resistant rares/unique monsters. Even in case you run volls devotion and part of your damage is fire
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
"
Nephalim wrote:
"
raics wrote:
- MPD and PPAD

I think the only time this might not be true is frost blades which will deal one each stage but it's not like that skill is anywhere near where it should be anyways.

Well, Molten too and Wild strike (kinda), but you don't really scale all parts of the attack generally, you pick one unless it's WS but that one kinda sucks anyway and could use one support that will affect all its damage. What I meant there is that damage can't be both melee and projectile at the same time so it will never double dip.

"
Nephalim wrote:
"
raics wrote:

This is actually profoundly powerful even in crit dam's miserable state at the moment. Of course you open yourself to instant reflect death even if you do manage to effectively evade/dodge most incoming attacks. Can this gem be made to be viable again after GGG's crit massacre.

Yeah, it's covertly risky because blind won't help you evade reflect :)

I'm not really sure about this one, though right side could use extra defense and blind could be reworked to apply only on crits to connect them better.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info