[Guide][HC] Fite's Detonate Dead Build (Scion/Templar/Witch)

How do you survive without life leech? especially reflect?
IGN: OldManBalls (Warbands)
"
kenx wrote:
"
RediusMaximus wrote:
First off; Fite, thanks. Love the build, I've been rolling through zones way above my level with self-found gear (was doing Merciless Catacombs at 60). It's a blast.

Gear (for reference):
Spoiler

(and yes, I found the 6L chest. It was white, I alch'ed it up; it's not very good, but it's good enough. 6L makes this build shine like a burning zombie. I did have to buy the windscream boots; though, those are a luxury. I just like being able to use enfeeble on CwDT and not have it overwrite Flammability.) I'd love to get a 6L Carcass Jack, but that's out of my price range for now, and finding it is always a minor miracle.

Passive tree at level 69:

I'm a bit light on life for level 69 (about 2300, with a 667 mana pool spare with Clarity and Grace running). I plan on spending the levels in the 70's shoring up the pool with the 4 nodes off the road to Iron Reflexes, and the 3 in the top left (with life+chaos resists). Will also be finishing up the entropy damage nodes on the top of the tree, and the health nodes next door. That should take me through early 80's, and I'll reassess survivability then to determine the next path. (Actually debating taking the evasion wheel, since that's more survivability, with the added bonus of eliminating armor movement penalty. Not optimal build, sure, but I hate moving slowly).

For those of you that are struggling with it, have faith. The 6L chest completely opened up my world...and I let it burn.

Flammability. Desecrate. Squeeeeeeeze that trigger on Detonate Dead. Boom.

are you on hc? cause I have about 2500 health and in merc anything with chaos is almost 2 shoting me I wont dear progress thru merc till I get better gear with at least some chaos resists do u not have this issue?

2500 health? What?

I'm 73 atm and rolling with about 4200 with not that great of gear. I'd say once you get AA and mom, 3300+ should be pretty sufficient.

My problem is it doesn't seem like detonate does much damage. Are we supposed to be relying on the burn damage moreso than the actual explosions themselves? If so, I was thinking to suppliment my lack of money for better gear with that fire node to the north east ish of the templar tree getting up to the 18% increased fire damage, however, i'm curious as to if the 10% .4 regen nodes or the pure 8% fire nodes would be better?

Also, why get path of the warrior, does the 12% increased physical damage impact dd or something?
Last edited by kallell on Mar 13, 2014, 10:55:08 PM
"
kenx wrote:
"
RediusMaximus wrote:
Stuff

are you on hc? cause I have about 2500 health and in merc anything with chaos is almost 2 shoting me I wont dear progress thru merc till I get better gear with at least some chaos resists do u not have this issue?

Currently playing on Ambush, but no, I don't have that issue. I've done maps with the dock dogs, and ascended the God Spire (lots of chaos mobs in there), and not had any issues. My Chaos resist is at -49% currently, so I'm not sure why you're getting blown up.

"
Trickery70 wrote:
Hi fite and everyone else who is using this build. How do you manage to get enough Dex and Str to use all your gems? Is there enough from the build or does it have to be supplemented via gear?

I have some stats on gear (gear and passive tree linked in previous post), and I had to pick up DEX nodes at various points throughout my leveling up to allow me to use gems before I had enough stats through gear/levels.
(1.2)Puncture/Ice Shot duelist - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1078942
(2.0)The Party Crasher - Hardcore viable Ice Crash Duelist - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1335704
"
demivion wrote:
How do you survive without life leech? especially reflect?

Spoiler
I'm not running his exact build but the core is the same, just took a few different nodes and touched up stuff to my own liking... and started as Witch.

How do I run 73+ Maps in Ambush without Leech? Easy. With just the few regen nodes, I regen over 120 life a second (3600 life only at 83 so far). Doesn't sound like much but it's more than enough. I use a Cloak of Defiance instead of Carcass Jack because I wanted a more supportive, defensive character for my group but it works just like MoM. The damage that gets through my Arctic Armor is reduced by my high resists, armor, and eventually MoM. The damage is VERY little. I regen it almost immediately. My mana regens even faster so MoM is a constant buffer for me.

Now, as for reflect. I did some stupid shit and ran an ele reflect map and threw dual curses on the pack and just started detonating corpses. Barely a scratch if even that. D.D. does very little initial damage especially compared with other burn builds (Flameblast, Discharge) and the damage that is reflected is then mitigated by the defenses mentioned above.

All in all, this build is very tanky. I'm sitting at about 460 unreserved Mana (after Clarity, Purity of Fire, and Grace) and I don't worry about dying. The only things that can potentially kill me are a large group of monsters who do decent damage and attack very fast and stunlock me. In these cases your CWDT link should save you. Oh and obviously those large-ass hits like Maze Vaal's smash or something. Don't know about that seeing as I haven't sat under one yet.

Oh and Seething Flasks OP.

"
kallell wrote:

2500 health? What?

I'm 73 atm and rolling with about 4200 with not that great of gear. I'd say once you get AA and mom, 3300+ should be pretty sufficient.

My problem is it doesn't seem like detonate does much damage. Are we supposed to be relying on the burn damage moreso than the actual explosions themselves? If so, I was thinking to suppliment my lack of money for better gear with that fire node to the north east ish of the templar tree getting up to the 18% increased fire damage, however, i'm curious as to if the 10% .4 regen nodes or the pure 8% fire nodes would be better?

Also, why get path of the warrior, does the 12% increased physical damage impact dd or something?

Spoiler
Yes the burn damage is the main source of DPS. Also, have Searing Bond somewhere to help out with Rares. Also, remember, this isn't a Burning Discharger. You aren't a "1 shot wonder". You can keep detonating corpses, setting corpses, etc...

The only bosses that prove "troublesome" (by that I mean it takes longer than a few seconds to kill) are ones that run around a lot. But, even then, you can burn them down pretty fast.

If anyone's interested in my gear/tree at level 83 on Ambush soloing and also grouping in 73+ maps:

Spoiler

Gear

Got lucky and Saffel's dropped on day 2. :D

Still working on that 5/6L Cloak. Q_Q

Most important piece of gear: Seething Flask of Staunching. Not even kidding. That thing has saved me so many times before I had AA + MoM...

Skill Tree

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMAAnEEBwSzBVsHYxJpFE0VIBZvFxwY2xmFGmwfAiL0JKoo-imlKk0s6S0fMZ41kjbFNtg26TrhPAU9Xz8nQYdFnUbXSn1KyEyzTipQMFJTUq9VxlcrW69dxl8qYG1noGsXbRluqnF5eqp90oIegseDOIdlh3aIG4jxi4yPRpeVl_Sa4Jwtna6f36IAplenCK1KtQS18rc-uJPAVMHzzSbPZdDQ2CTbC9te3Q3d8-Fz42rkIuaB6-Tr7uxV7SDvfO-F8B_yRfPd-ej8xf4K

IGN: Caessa_Undying - 4 FPS Immersive Rain 4 Lyfe!

Shop: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/822740
Last edited by Caessa on Mar 14, 2014, 3:03:30 AM
is taking immolation cluster better for mapping than life nodes?
"
kallell wrote:

im guessing the +20 life, +20 strength (which gives 10 more life) goes a long way.
I am currently experimenting with this tree on Ambush:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAAnEEBwSzBVsIZxJpFE0VIBccFy8YPBjbGYUabB8CJKoo-imlKk0s6S0fNZI2xTbYNuk8BT1fPydBh0WdRtdJUUp9SshMs04qUlNSr1XWW69dxmTnZ6BtGW6qcXl08XaCeqqApIIegseDOIUyh3aIG4hCiPGLjJM6l5Wa4J2un9-iAKcIp1ytSrTRtQS18rc-uJO9J8HFwfPIDM0m2CTbC90N4XPjauQi6-7sGOxV7SDvfO-F8B_z3fno-tL8xf4KnC2HZY9G0NDPZVXGFm8kPFptg9v8S85xbBY=

This tree has a lot more damage nodes, at the expense of a set of "Increased area of effect" nodes.

I am still on 4L, but have put the gems in a Rime Gaze, for a free Concentrated Effect. This works extremely well: the concentrated effect and the lack of increased AOE nodes ensure I do not detonate an entire herd (thus killing myself with reflect), but the Proliferation spreads the effect far and wide, and the heavily increased damage ensures that most of them will burn to death.

A side-effect is that due to all these damage nodes my Searing Bond is still *very* competitive and as one can use SB and DD simultaneously (cast the totem behind you, run into a room and start casting Flammability, Desecrate, Detonate) the resulting total damage output is very satisfactory.

Dear Maligaro,
I left my head in San Francisco, I lost my legs in Peru
My liver and kidney are on holiday in Sydney
And I am sending my Heart to you
--- Love, Malachai
Last edited by Flapdrol on Mar 14, 2014, 9:31:11 AM
"
imissdiablo2 wrote:
is taking immolation cluster better for mapping than life nodes?

Depends on a lot of things. If your e-HP is good enough (i.e. you're surviving fine) there's no reason to not get Immolation.

If you're sitting at like 2.5k HP, yeah, get more life... but if you have a good life pool, tons of unreserved mana, enough mana regen to keep up a high level AA and MoM, good resists, etc... go for Immolation.

"
Flapdrol wrote:

i like the life + mana nodes alot better than the ones in the life wheel. respeccing into those have raised my mana and mana regen by quite a bit
"
imissdiablo2 wrote:
"
Flapdrol wrote:

i like the life + mana nodes alot better than the ones in the life wheel. respeccing into those have raised my mana and mana regen by quite a bit

I found grabbing any 8% life was better than the life wheel. I just went on the left to travel fast and used the points to grab 8% nodes instead.

Oh and I did some testing with reflect.

I rolled a reflect mod and tried every possible way to kill myself, including grabbing 50 corpses and vaal dding them on a large pack.

I only seem to be in danger if I manage to somehow hit 0 mana perfectly and turn off AA. Otherwise I never seem to be in danger of killing myself with reflect. O_o;

I think I'll go roll another map and fuck around tomorrow to try and rip myself and see what circumstances work/don't work.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info