Are mods being overly strict now?

"
Autocthon wrote:

I long for the days when "gay" just meant happy, and retarded just meant "less advanced/estavblished/insert synonym here"

Language evolves. Usually for the worse though :(
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
This fourm is pretty open.

thare is limited restrictions ususaly if u say the same thing but use diffrent wording it is ok.

they only really regulate vs crule or outlandishly bad behaviour.

That being said IMO fourms should have close to no rules about the way language is used an only the most extrem cases should be even looked at let alone baned.

In my country it is legal to stand on the street and say anything u want , it's called free speech and we hold it close to our hearts, however most contrys like the USA or England have regulated most of it away. Also however if u deside to go stand on the street cornor and say something insaneley hurtfull and outlandish chances are very high u will get the shit kicked out of yha.

In the end it's thare forum and they are free to do with it what they want. "free to do what they want" what a nice idea ;0-
Just a sec let me grab a beer...@#*@ Ok how did I die this time

Learn the rules, it's the only way to exploit them.
"
Bukariin wrote:
"
Autocthon wrote:
"gay" just meant happy
This was also back in the day when "gay" wasn't used with negative connotations.

"Retarded" means the same thing as "slowed" but today nobody would say "that car is being retarded" instead of "that car is being slowed" because they know in the current context it means something completely different.
I would. Because what people think of me means nothing, since the average person is an uneducated lout.

Yes I just used the word lout. I like that word.

But hey, I grew up in a family where you used the word you thought was most appropriate to describe something. And if my car refuses to go faster than 30 it's definitely being [it'll get moderated anyway].
IGN - PlutoChthon, Talvathir
"
it's okay to be an arshole' argument is something I'd formerly considered far beneath you.

If you wanted to be fair Charan you would recognize that I wasn't "being an arshole in that post". The context that I used it is the same as the word "stupid", and I wasn't even referring to another player.

I don't use the N word because it has no general meaning to me other than being racist and I was raised not to use it.

Nothing at all like a word I have used my entire life and has the same meaning as dumb. I have a religious family that doesn't like to hear or see swear words. If they are going to censor the word I used then I see no difference to many other words like swears.
Standard Forever
Last edited by iamstryker on Jan 23, 2014, 8:09:09 PM
Thankfully, GGG did the correct thing in this instance.
"

"retarded" as a synonym for "stupid" or "dumb" isn't a swear word, it's arguably worse: it's denigration by association.

Uh, so I guess we should moderate stupid and dumb now?

"
Don't impose your upbringing on this much larger issue, eh? It's sort of irrelevant.

The N word is just a bad comparison. It has no general meaning used innocently by most of the world.

"
And yes, the 'arsehole' thing was more broad and of course it was not my intention to call you one. Other people who've made the argument? Sure. Why not. But not you. Not yet. Hopefully not ever.

My point is that context matters with some of these words. I wasn't being uncivil or not constructive.

Standard Forever
Words tend to have more than one meaning which is why context is important.

Standard Forever
My youngest son is autistic and I used to take offense. I don't like the word or use it myself but I don't get bent out of shape if someone else uses it. Chances are that they haven't had much contact with a mentally retarded person.
"Withdrawing in disgust is not the same as apathy"

"

As I used to say, we didn't moderate for those with the thickest skin, but those with the thinnest.

A thin skin man can grow a thick skin.
Give a man of thin skin a protection and you ensure his safety from one attack, give him a thick skin and you ensure his safety for a lifetime.

I understand "retard" can be offensive though.
It's just not extreme.
http://wideo.co/view/449781379368063514-inexs-journey-for-the-8-stars (Music: Odd Look)
I am the guy behind price check forums yay: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/387787 (i think.)
"Seriously, its a loot game, make the loot DROP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers"_TugBot_
There's a difference between "this word makes some people uncomfortable" and "this is hate speech"

I know more than a few people who hear the word "moist" and feel like they're being sexually harassed. No idea why. Apparently feeling that "moist" is a nasty word that people shouldn't use is a common thing. These are people who go out of tehir way to construct their sentences to never need to use the word "moist".

They take offense to the word. I make sure to use it a lot (they're my friends and I'm an ass what can I say). Doesn't mean it should be moderated.

It's important to know where to draw the line between "uncomfortable" and "hate speech".
IGN - PlutoChthon, Talvathir

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info