Floating damage numbers

NO
"
BearCares wrote:

Uh, that is the most upsetting design decision you've guys made (in my view). Seriously taking strategic data away from the player when respec'ing after the fact is so incredibly expensive... I just hate it. Hate it.

An RPG that is purposely hiding battle info from teh player. It's just stupid.

PUT THE BATTLE DATA IN THE CHATBOX OR RECORD IT TO A TEXT FILE

They don't have to actually float geez.

This could also be a idea. Instead of floating Combat Text that may scare or annoy the majority (even if optional), maybe include something like "RECOUNT" (WoW tool that shows your damage in detail http://www.wowace.com/addons/recount/images/ ) for better feedback in PoE. It's basicly for raids/partys but could be very helpful for summoners etc.
Nobody knows how much damage Minions deal or even worse, nobody knows the exact values of Mobs in PoE. They must have tons of life, resists, Armor etc in Merciless.
"
Rhys wrote:
We tried it, internally, once upon a time. It was horrible...

Also, we won't just make an option for it, because this is the kind of option that isn't really optional: most people that HATE floating combat numbers would still use them, because they will perceive them to be an advantage, because all the streamers will use it, etc. etc. So the game would be slightly better for those who do like FCN and much, much worse for those who don't like them (including most of GGG).

So yeah, still a "no".

"most people that HATE floating combat numbers would still use them, because they will perceive them to be an advantage, because all the streamers will use it, etc. etc."

FCN exist in RPGs since the dawn of the genre it is just one of those things you need
and many players are used to . the way i see it fcn isn't an option but a must have in a game like this and it isn't just me i play this game for some time abn i'm not going to quit because of that but still i kinda miss it :(
and btw how is that a reason for not having such as an Importance of a feature let us test it !!
Thanks for answering ^^
Last edited by nadavken on Nov 21, 2013, 12:52:03 PM
You're logic baffles me GGG........."We know you won't have fun with it so we aren't implementing it", okay Blizzard, errrr wait......
Pretty sure the closest analogue we have to PoE is D2. Pretty sure there was no FCN option in that game, and the player was required to do just as much arcane math there as in PoE in order to get hard data.

I can deal with that, since this is an RPG. I am playing the role of my exile. With the possible exception of the Templar, none of the exiles strike me as being "math wiz" cerebral types. They do, however, stike me as the types capable of making use of experiential information to determine if one attack deals more damage than another, or if one gear choice outweighs another, with no real need of anything more than "feel".
"
nadavken wrote:

FCN exist in RPGs since the dawn of the genre...

Diablo I and II had floating damage numbers?

I'm not against them, though, as long as they're optional (don't think much of Rhys' explanation). From my D3 days, where I only had critical damage numbers activated, I remember that they were not of any use to me.
I don't know how many HPs the monsters have and even if I did, I couldn't calculate fast enough to make anything meaningful of those numbers.
I can, however, estimate whether I'm doing enough damage or a bit to little for comfort when I take a look at health bars - shrinking slowly means I probably don't do enough damage, shrinking fast means good damage.
But if it makes people happy - why not? As long as I can switch them off.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
"
Rhys wrote:

Also, we won't just make an option for it, because this is the kind of option that isn't really optional: most people that HATE floating combat numbers would still use them, because they will perceive them to be an advantage, because all the streamers will use it, etc. etc. So the game would be slightly better for those who do like FCN and much, much worse for those who don't like them (including most of GGG).

So yeah, still a "no".

You missed out on the utility of them.

People who hate them would run them occasionally like when they change their equipment or build and then turn them off. It would be an aid which they use when they want to theory craft and be turned off otherwise.

Fight censorship
https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/
"
Rhys wrote:

So yeah, still a "no".

GGG, seriously..you are not THAT stupid..

for once.. i am the guy who HATES floating combat numbers.. I turned them off in D3 and any another ARPG I tried...but seriously? You are trying think for others?

I know many people who don't like floating text and is not using it.. I know MANY people who love floating text..and..would like to use it.

you are really too ahead of yourself GGG.

"
But if it makes people happy - why not? As long as I can switch them off.

pretty much sums up this entire thread :)
sometimes I want to know how I died, how much damaged it did, what can I do to avoid it next time. so far, its just guessing.
combat log is needed.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info