Floating damage numbers

I would like to have a specific area in which we can test builds and get damage numbers (as well as numbers for everything else). I agree floating numbers would look ugly, but I would like having a NPC that we can hit and that would tell us damage done to it within a time frame, and another that would hit us and later tell us percentage of damage done/blocked/evaded/dodged/etc.

Mostly because I have no idea about how much damage my zombiens and skeletons do. It's also hard to measure DPS in a build using different skills with different elemental attacks in weapons, especially when considering multiple elemental resistance effects.
"
Rhys wrote:
We tried it, internally, once upon a time. It was horrible...

Also, we won't just make an option for it, because this is the kind of option that isn't really optional: most people that HATE floating combat numbers would still use them, because they will perceive them to be an advantage, because all the streamers will use it, etc. etc. So the game would be slightly better for those who do like FCN and much, much worse for those who don't like them (including most of GGG).

So yeah, still a "no".

I'm really happy with this response and it kind of confirms what I thought which is, to some it sounds attractive. They like numbers and they like being able to have an actual visual aid to see their progress regarding damage. For those people, the tooltip isnt satisfying. I understand that and can see why they would want FCT but...

PoE already is a game with plenty going on on the screen. Tons of loot and mobs and effects. You only need to look at D3 to see how it can affect the feeling of a game. Its sooooo arcade-like.
I much prefer the traditional ARPG style of no numbers.

If implemented it would take away a 'feel' from the game, would lead to people min-maxing to the absolute extreme (which would lead to more cookie-cutter stuff all round) and would probably be followed by requests to further reduce spell-graphics etc.

I'd choose cool looking effects over numbers in a heartbeat.

It true what they say... sometimes people don't know what they want.

Just for try for see and for know.

She corpse exploded the corpse of the boss...
Can someone photoshop some float damage numbers into any poe screenshot? We need to know how it would looks like.
"
Zanixx wrote:
"
Rhys wrote:
We tried it, internally, once upon a time. It was horrible...

Also, we won't just make an option for it, because this is the kind of option that isn't really optional: most people that HATE floating combat numbers would still use them, because they will perceive them to be an advantage, because all the streamers will use it, etc. etc. So the game would be slightly better for those who do like FCN and much, much worse for those who don't like them (including most of GGG).

So yeah, still a "no".

I'm really happy with this response and it kind of confirms what I thought which is, to some it sounds attractive. They like numbers and they like being able to have an actual visual aid to see their progress regarding damage. For those people, the tooltip isnt satisfying. I understand that and can see why they would want FCT but...

PoE already is a game with plenty going on on the screen. Tons of loot and mobs and effects. You only need to look at D3 to see how it can affect the feeling of a game. Its sooooo arcade-like.
I much prefer the traditional ARPG style of no numbers.

If implemented it would take away a 'feel' from the game, would lead to people min-maxing to the absolute extreme (which would lead to more cookie-cutter stuff all round) and would probably be followed by requests to further reduce spell-graphics etc.

I'd choose cool looking effects over numbers in a heartbeat.

It true what they say... sometimes people don't know what they want.

so tell me what is the dmg formula for Animated Weapon and how is the Punishment curse faring in high level maps?

what is the aura effectivenes on animated weapons?

what type of dmg is the Evangelists 'blast'?

does cold penetration affects Freeze Mine performance?

Spectral Throw + Slower PRojectiles + Point Blank gem - how does this EXACTLY work? 'range traveled' is not enough

how much dmg skeletons do?

how dmg much Animated Guardian does? is there correlation with weapon or not? if yes - how does it look like. what about weapon speed?

there are PLENTY of similar questions that are impossible to answer (not GUESS!) without numbers (or GGG response, but.. yeah right)

thats why i need numbers to see if my understanding of game mechanics is correct or not. there is no other way - and hardcore games ARE NOT about guessing!

so poe is 'hardcore' but based around altf4, and if anyone wants to be good at it, that is understand the game internals he is not really allowed to do so. 'hardcore' game.. yeah right
Last edited by sidtherat on Nov 23, 2013, 7:09:33 AM
The response here is just funny .. tryin to explain what is wrong in something that's been in Rpgs for such a long time wont work no matter how hard you try guys
if enough people ask you should give since it wont change ANYTHING if you choose so
that's all

"Floating combat text(FCT) is something that a lot of people 1. enjoy and 2. expect from a game in this genre. There are also definitely people who don't like it, and would never choose to have it enabled.

However, we're trying to appeal to as wide a community as possible, so it's quite likely that POE will eventually have three different options for FCT. The first would be the default, which is "Off". The second would be a version that merely shows your critical hits as FCT, possibly with the additional note of "Critical". The third option would be complete FCT, that shows all damage dealt, as well as misses and blocks.

There are valid arguments for all three types of FCT, so we'll try to arrive at something that pleases the most people. Hope that makes you guys happy!
Path of Exile Executive Producer and Designer.
Posted by BrianWeissman
on May 2, 2012 2:15 AM
Grinding Gear Games"

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/29436/page/5

The old forum post seems to got it right make me think you just couldnt pull it off \=
Played plenty of other RPG games that have FCT and would certainly enjoy the option to have them in this game as well.
Hi

Personally I am happy with the life bars as a ultimatum. The bars make it easier to target monsters. POE is not attempting to cater to everybody, no company can or else all the games inevitably become the same.

cheers
Conan: Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
Never dance with the Devil because a dance with the Devil could last you forever...
-I thought what I'd do was,I'd Pretend I was one of those deaf mutes-
Nullus Anxietas:)
"
Finkenstein wrote:
Hi

Personally I am happy with the life bars as a ultimatum. The bars make it easier to target monsters. POE is not attempting to cater to everybody, no company can or else all the games inevitably become the same.

cheers

It's because of people like you they have an excuse for not adding fcn
"
Artanthos wrote:
Perhaps a better solution would be an option to output combat information to a chat window/log.

Those who want to parse numbers will have the option, without the screen clutter.

My personal preference has always been output logs. Something easily parsed while offline.

This

I actually like floating numbers, its part of the excitement of an ARPG when your playing a crit heavy build. Seeing those monster numbers come flying up is great fun for me. In fact, this might be why I haven't really enjoyed any crit heavy builds yet. Never thought about it before now.

But I would accpet just a combat log. Its tough not knowing exactly the type of damage your doing when your trying to compare close weapons for example. How much damage am i taking with this aura up, down, ect. Honestly, I might like this better because I could review it after combat. Combat is too much of a yo-yo on your health in late game to really watch in combat.

Im going to admit something here, as embarrassing as it is. I just figured out that the voidbearer's were using fire damage. I knew it looked like incinerate, but since it was blue, and they were blue, I figured it was frost damage. So I had my frost resist stacked, and my fire was in the negative. I was getting WAXED in merciless and it was driving me crazy. Then it hit me....is this fire damage. Switched the resist up, and I can stand in the fire. This is just one extreme example of the usefulness of at least a log.
Last edited by jalford on Nov 23, 2013, 12:15:06 PM
bullshit... guys no like numbers? make On or Off ...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info