Why downgrade skill/aura effects?

I get it from the whole frame rate point of view, but a lot of enemies effects and micro transactions add similarly "complex" stuff.. and if a lot of people use that then what?

Also, i'm pretty sure you could have reduced the complexity of the auras graphics effects without making them look like they were recycled from a DOS game in the early 90's.. they just look embarrassing now..
generally dangerous
"
philosoaper wrote:
I get it from the whole frame rate point of view, but a lot of enemies effects and micro transactions add similarly "complex" stuff.. and if a lot of people use that then what?

Also, i'm pretty sure you could have reduced the complexity of the auras graphics effects without making them look like they were recycled from a DOS game in the early 90's.. they just look embarrassing now..

Got any examples?
I like all the fluffy animals[img]http://i.imgur.com/mO8dR.png[\img]
y im slept?
"
Russell wrote:
The reason as we have said a few times is:

1: in partys with minions there was insaino lag. Like they were just built sooooo bad.

2: Visual clutter. Even warcraft 3 never got to the point where a hero would be stacking 3 of those oversized auras. Thats even including arena maps. In poe however we had the same size if not bigger auras but stacking 3-5 on average. It was a mess and really did not fit the rest of the game. The current ones I will upgrade if we ever lock the auras to 1-2 (unless you get certain passives that increase the count you can have). However poes designers dont seem interested in this. People are still running 3 auras even now. Thats not even on a character built around having all the auras : P

So yeah. We are trying to clean up combat a bit. Huge effects cause huge lag when spammed 100 times a second all over your screen. You also cant see for shit.Other games sadly don't do this so they dont get to know our pain. Its annoying when we get compared to titan quest and d3 effect optimisation wise when they only have around 30 skill effects at max on a screen at a time. As we go from 20-30 solo to 200-300+ party endgame. Floating damage numbers are not effects.

Also lights. Holy cow lights are insane. Im going through and removing them off skills I find. I was always told "nah their fine leave them" but they are not fine!. On my 7980 fireball if shot 5 times on top of each other would drop my fps from 100+ to 20-30 for a second. Now think of that when its spammed all over your screen. Its nuts. Discharge does the same thing. when you let off all 3 discharges at the same time they each have a light. A really large light. This drops your fps for like 0.3 seconds but it feels like more because its such a huge frame drop. So yeah this is an over time fix. Arctic breath and Ice Arrow are now usable ever since I removed their lights : P

Anyway in conclusion if PoE gets to the point where players use 1 aura each. Or none aura each unless they want to be a cool support guy I dont see auras changing look until then. The reason those other ones are slightly larger is because I was told they would most likely not all be used together. Also with the aura nerf people are using slightly less auras so I made the auras slightly larger to fit that : P.

THank god you're fixing the fireball issue! I wanted to make a cast on crit fireball build but even 20 fireballs would drop me to less than 1 fps for several seconds... Thankfully ice spear isn't as bad.
"
Russell wrote:
Also lights. Holy cow lights are insane. Im going through and removing them off skills I find. I was always told "nah their fine leave them" but they are not fine!. On my 7980 fireball if shot 5 times on top of each other would drop my fps from 100+ to 20-30 for a second. Now think of that when its spammed all over your screen. Its nuts. Discharge does the same thing. when you let off all 3 discharges at the same time they each have a light. A really large light. This drops your fps for like 0.3 seconds but it feels like more because its such a huge frame drop. So yeah this is an over time fix. Arctic breath and Ice Arrow are now usable ever since I removed their lights : P

I bitched about this several times. Particularly when I was still on my old computer.
"
Russell wrote:
"
riddie wrote:
"
Russell wrote:

1: in partys with minions there was insaino lag. Like they were just built sooooo bad.

2: Visual clutter.

Then WHY on earth did you change the subtle curse effects that where actually on par with the minimalistic auras, to colorful, screen filling, gameplay obstructing monstrosities?!

Haha yeah.. Im actually toning those things down today.

Hmmm It seems a lot of people here still didnt read my post. Im seeing a lot of "if it was laggy why not add an option to turn them down!". Completely ignoring the fact that on top of being laggy you also cant see whats going on. If you have a dark world it looks insane to have huge effects playing off minor skills/spells.

No D3 does not have as many skill effects on a screen at a time. We arnt going to destroy our entire skill system to change this either. People like kitting out their skills. Shooting fast and many projectiles. If we changed that im pretty sure people would be pissed.

Ah right one last thing. The reason for not having any visual slider is because a lot of these effects are just laggy in general. Only the highest end pcs can run them . Some of these skills look kinda average too.

But we really need some slider to reduce party member effects. If you are in group of 4-6 players and you are meele character it becomes hard to hit mobs since you cannot see them in all the mess on the screen. It will help to reduce the stress from effects and also help some characters to actually hit mobs.

Yes D3 usually doesnt have so many effects but there are cases where you have instead of 100 effects there are 100 mobs on the screen. I remember how I once killed 76 mobs at once. Dont get me wrong I like fast skills and shooting many projectiles but if result will be just desyncing more then it will be contraproductive. Pretty often if you are hitting too fast half of your attacks are not even registered. I dont want you to destroy your skill system.

Why are some skills laggy? Is there some kind of problem with game engine or they are not properly coded or just need some optimization?
IGN : Mettiu
Last edited by Mettiu on Nov 17, 2013, 8:37:11 PM

Lights is the reason. Without lights fps is increased vastly. Iv found simply removing removing lights from effects has fixed most problems. Some effects were just built badly by me though. Mostly the old ones when I was still getting used to PoEs effects set up. Newer stuff doesn't have the same kind of problems that the old stuff had. Well exept incinerate : P
I like all the fluffy animals[img]http://i.imgur.com/mO8dR.png[\img]
y im slept?
My statement that I am happy to pay 20-30$ for the original determination skill still stands. I don't really care, my computer can handle it. And it makes me feel like the baddest motherfucker around.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishment the scroll-
@Faith_And_Steel
"
Russell wrote:

Iv found simply removing removing lights from effects has fixed most problems.

Also, closing my eyes works really well 2.
Suggestions
>Alt 'Entrance' & 'Quest NPC'|http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26332090/subtledoorANDquest.png
>Alt 'Character Panel'|http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26332090/Stats.png
"
Russell wrote:

Anyway in conclusion if PoE gets to the point where players use 1 aura each. Or none aura each unless they want to be a cool support guy I dont see auras changing look until then. The reason those other ones are slightly larger is because I was told they would most likely not all be used together. Also with the aura nerf people are using slightly less auras so I made the auras slightly larger to fit that : P.

The only way that is going to happen is to re-write auras so that they only boost your allies, then you could add lower rez lower mana buffs that only buff you.
It itches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Russell you are a good man. A very patient, good man.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info