[2.2] Wurpo's quill rain + cast on crit build (aka stress test build) [not scion anymore]

Just curious if anyone has tried picking up Iron Reflexes and going full armour, instead of full evasion? This is my first full-evasion character, and I'm finding that I don't really like the unreliable nature evasion + dodge provides at all. I've read up on how it calculates out, and what I walked away with is that it's less than what it actually says (I'm horrible at math). And from my experience so far, it seems to only dodge/evade maybe 1 out of every 3 to 4 attacks even when using Grace (lvl 18 gem), which is seems... bad.

I really enjoy the characters game play & build, and would like to keep playing it. I just don't know if I'll be able to stand the stress of watching my HP bar spike 4k to 2k from 1 hit, and then just simply hope it doesn't happpen a second consecutive time.

Here are stats, gear, and build:

(no aura's)
HP: 3,989
Res: 75% + (fire, cold, lightning)
Chaos: 0%
Armour: 411 (4%)
Evade: 23%
Dodge Attack: 40%
Dodge Spell: 30%

Gear:
Spoiler

Passives:
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgAAA5YEfgW1DPIOSBGWE54V8BzcHpQkPCT9JpUnqSycLR8wcTB8MZ41kjY9OBs51DpCOlg64TsoPs9Eq0ZxSVFKyEt4TLNN41AwUUdVS1WuWm1d8mBDY0NtGW17bj1uqm_ycFJw1X4zfyt_xoLkgwmHGYhriPGKr4w2jX2Nv4-mkBGTJ52joJ-hpKKjpJGly6ZXp1yqf6q4rFm0DLVItfK95r68wFHB88ai1CPWitte3FfdqOHb44TnVOdj8kXy4fPq-WP8q_4K_o_-yA==

Thanks in advace.
"
ButtHustla wrote:
Just curious if anyone has tried picking up Iron Reflexes and going full armour, instead of full evasion? This is my first full-evasion character, and I'm finding that I don't really like the unreliable nature evasion + dodge provides at all.

it's same to me - 1st evasion char, but I actually love it so much :) after monsters scrore 1 hit I can be sure they will miss another 2(or 3 depends on map level and your evasion). What you have to watch on is monsters mod "accurate" that will hit you more often. And ofc don't get hit by bosses :) I'm using summon skeletons totem to distract hard hitting mobs and being 100% safe with that. Also you are not supposed to be hit very often because you moving faster than any monster(kite playstyle) with quicksilver that is recharging quicker than I can use it :p

I was thinking about IR build, there are possibilities to make one.

I'm actually thinking if it's possible to replace quill rain with
Harbinger bow and which stats should be rolled on it then. The loss of 90-100% proj. speed would hurt the build the most. Other than that we can get to 95% crit chance easily. The perfect crit/aps Harbinger bow loses 25% of CoC triggers per time but we get almost guaranteed chance to proc every shoot, and there are still 4 affix to be rolled on item. Imo most usefull would be: +1 to gems, hybird dmg+accuracy, life leech?(for EK users) as prefixes; accuracy or crit multi as suffixes.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/804673
new yumm quivers bases, Penetrating Arrow Quiver is such a win :p
Playing with 70-80ms ping, which is causing long loading between zones,
resulting in 2-4 minutes disadvantage in 1 hour races.
(I was wrong, it wasn't a ping issue but something else on GGG side)
One of the biggest improvements to my survival that I've seen was getting a RRRR linked equipment and putting in Cast when Damage Taken + Enduring Cry + Immortal Call + Enduring Cry. The random hits that do bypass your dodge and evade checks can get completely blocked by Immortal Call.
"
Daskar84 wrote:
One of the biggest improvements to my survival that I've seen was getting a RRRR linked equipment and putting in Cast when Damage Taken + Enduring Cry + Immortal Call + Enduring Cry. The random hits that do bypass your dodge and evade checks can get completely blocked by Immortal Call.

why is there 2 enduring cries? I'm confused.
Last edited by kefirhl on Feb 27, 2014, 6:57:42 PM
"
kefirhl wrote:
"
ButtHustla wrote:
Just curious if anyone has tried picking up Iron Reflexes and going full armour, instead of full evasion? This is my first full-evasion character, and I'm finding that I don't really like the unreliable nature evasion + dodge provides at all.

it's same to me - 1st evasion char, but I actually love it so much :) after monsters scrore 1 hit I can be sure they will miss another 2(or 3 depends on map level and your evasion). What you have to watch on is monsters mod "accurate" that will hit you more often. And ofc don't get hit by bosses :) I'm using summon skeletons totem to distract hard hitting mobs and being 100% safe with that. Also you are not supposed to be hit very often because you moving faster than any monster(kite playstyle) with quicksilver that is recharging quicker than I can use it :p

I was thinking about IR build, there are possibilities to make one.

I'm actually thinking if it's possible to replace quill rain with
Harbinger bow and which stats should be rolled on it then. The loss of 90-100% proj. speed would hurt the build the most. Other than that we can get to 95% crit chance easily. The perfect crit/aps Harbinger bow loses 25% of CoC triggers per time but we get almost guaranteed chance to proc every shoot, and there are still 4 affix to be rolled on item. Imo most usefull would be: +1 to gems, hybird dmg+accuracy, life leech?(for EK users) as prefixes; accuracy or crit multi as suffixes.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/804673
new yumm quivers bases, Penetrating Arrow Quiver is such a win :p

Thanks for reply.

I went ahead and used 8 refund points and picked up IR. Although I wasn't the biggest fan of evasion/dodge, I honestly feel it makes this build work a lot smoother. I just did 5 maps (lvl. 69, 72, 74, 75, 76) to get a good idea what I thought, and it immediately changed my play style to almost 100% full-throttle offensive. I'm only at 4985 armour (with lvl 18 grace aura), and I was litterally plowing through mobs and able to face tank most anything. Best part, I never had a single instance where I was worried I might die. If you have extra regrets/refunds, I'd suggest trying.

I'v thought about trying something with my LionEye as well. 100% hit chance would put an interesting spin on CoC.

I'm also looking forward to the new quivers. It's nice to see they've added implicit stats that roll a value high enough for characters above level 5.
Last edited by ButtHustla on Feb 28, 2014, 1:13:05 AM
it's good to adjust a build for your play-style, everybody should do that unless he's a dummy)
Selling Full Gear for this build! not my cup of tea! Standard League

Quill for 30 Exalt
Voll's for 35 Exalt
Hi there,

Here I am facing a dilemma. I am currently trying to craft 6L
quillrain and voll's protector for the build.
Currently I have a Voll's protector with 6 sockets and 5 links but
only 2 green socket in it.
I have a spare Voll's protector with 6 sockets, 2 greens sockets but
which I still need to link.
And I have a quillrain which I tried two get to 6 sockets (I burned a
lot of jewelers already) and it is currenly 5 sockets only.

Currently I run the build with a Tabula Rasa at level 61. But as it
does not offer protection and since we can only use one ring slot, and
the hand slot is already taken by Maligaro's, building my defense is
difficult.

In your opinion, on which one should I focus my crafting prowess ? The
quillrain to get it to 6 ? or link as a 5L OR the spare voll's to link
to 6L ?
I am reluctant to use chromatics on my current 5L Voll's as it would
be very difficultto get 3 greens and 2 blues on it.

Right now I am still undecided on running tabula rasa or voll's
protector 5L, both have their pros' (6L for tabula), 5L for the voll's
(but it offers +10% critical strike with the charges, and allow the
use of coldsnap).

Any feedback will be appreciated !

Cheers,
Erik
"
edessiex wrote:
Hi there,

Here I am facing a dilemma. I am currently trying to craft 6L
quillrain and voll's protector for the build.
Currently I have a Voll's protector with 6 sockets and 5 links but
only 2 green socket in it.
I have a spare Voll's protector with 6 sockets, 2 greens sockets but
which I still need to link.
And I have a quillrain which I tried two get to 6 sockets (I burned a
lot of jewelers already) and it is currenly 5 sockets only.

Currently I run the build with a Tabula Rasa at level 61. But as it
does not offer protection and since we can only use one ring slot, and
the hand slot is already taken by Maligaro's, building my defense is
difficult.

In your opinion, on which one should I focus my crafting prowess ? The
quillrain to get it to 6 ? or link as a 5L OR the spare voll's to link
to 6L ?
I am reluctant to use chromatics on my current 5L Voll's as it would
be very difficultto get 3 greens and 2 blues on it.

Right now I am still undecided on running tabula rasa or voll's
protector 5L, both have their pros' (6L for tabula), 5L for the voll's
(but it offers +10% critical strike with the charges, and allow the
use of coldsnap).

Any feedback will be appreciated !

Cheers,
Erik

I suggest trying to 6L the quill.

It's very easy to recolor the quill to the links this build uses, it's very common to get it in under 5 chroms. Voll's is torture to recolor.
How does everybody feel about incoming huge nerf of scion starting tree? About barrage buff? About spells buffs? :) My shadow variation of the build actually only gets beffed, weird.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info