Prizes for new Default/Hardcore leagues

gaming system currently in the shop since the night of the 6th(possible power supply death). may not be able to play for up to a week depending on where i have to get a replacement. i'm on my old single core 1gig ram and 1/2 gig ATI radeon 3600. will download and see if this computer can handle PoE. gonna be a bit since i have to download it to this computer. :(

EDIT: downloader not working. i keep getting an error. i guess i just have to wait till i get my gaming system up and running again. :(

Last edited by Dropzone69 on Oct 8, 2012, 3:30:43 PM
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
Can someone explain how it messes up the economy. The infusion of orbs brings prices down, albeit briefly.

This is a good thing for anyone in need of buying said orb.

Money Creation

When the federal reserve lends money it doesn't have to corporate banks, it takes weeks for the economy to compensate. Because of this, when the US treasury pays government employees on a deficit, inflation occurs over a time. So from one point of view the new money saps value from the old money, but it takes a while to happen.

Federal employees get paychecks that came out of the federal deficit. But their paychecks steal value from the economy across some time period, lowering the value of your paycheck.

Basically, they're getting paid more than you are, even if the dollar figure is the same.

----------------------------

Now break from real world stuff to PoE.

An exalt earned from the race: supply is set exclusively by GGG, and their race rewards system. They're in much higher supply than exalts earned through farming/vendoring. They take much less effort to earn than the other exalts.

When GGG pays out a huge chunk of exalts, there are only a few reasons their value doesn't plummet to zero. Mostly, the old value of an exalt before this big payout still remains in memory. Nobody wants to go less than, say, half. And plenty of people just bank them to trade for godly items later.

What I'm saying is that if people were actually trading exalts, they'd be much cheaper right now. And also that if there were no exalts being created in races, they'd probably be worth their old 20 chaos each again.

Doesn't hurt me any, I have time to hit 70 in a race. Plenty of people don't. My time getting to 70 in that 1-week race is much more productive, though, than any other random person's time in league just farming. Not really fair for those people.
Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Like an elephant in the forest.
Last edited by Zakaluka on Oct 8, 2012, 4:10:28 PM
"
Zakaluka wrote:

Federal employees get paychecks that came out of the federal deficit. But their paychecks steal value from the economy across some time period, lowering the value of your paycheck.

Basically, they're getting paid more than you are, even if the dollar figure is the same.

If the dollar figure is the same then they are being paid the same.

You might want to rethink that last sentance.
Well some dudes need to learn some basic economics -_-
Those sweet exalts just ruins in-game currency by who using those for trading and making item prices higher than any none ladder race player could support. Anyway my point is hc or normal ladder races is a good way to compete and variety of fun for this game. But i dont want to race till my butt cracks for something suppose to be fun, im a 100m dasher in real life and thats simply satisfy my need for speed and beating other ppl.

When pvp kicks in i believe those races isnt going to be what they used to be and yes pvp should more rewarding cause that actually needs a good amount of skill other than partying multiple accounts and killing mobs mindlessly.

For bottom line i highly against that race awards define pvp results and economy...
Last edited by Ceykey on Oct 8, 2012, 4:33:28 PM
"
Manator wrote:
But i play this game and tell you, i haven't had GCP or above (in terms of trade value) orb drop in a whole playtime, tell me THAT is rewarding.

Sounds like you've been somewhat unlucky in your play throughs.
"
Manator wrote:

"All characters over level 60 will receive 32 random currency items.
All characters over level 50 will receive 24 random currency items.
All characters over level 40 will receive 16 random currency items.
All characters over level 30 will receive 8 random currency items."

You know I really like this idea.

There's still a few people who are planning to stay in Legacy and a prize structure like this might be all it takes to convince them to get started in the new Default league.
OB: BazzVone - 83 Dual Spork Totem Templar /w CI and minions
CB: BazzVfourteen - 80 Dual Spork Totem Templar /w CI
CB: BazzVtwo - 73 Dual Spork Totem/LS Templar
CB: BazzVseven - 76 Lightning Strike Mara
CB: BazzVfive - 78 Lightning Strike Mara
"
Chris wrote:

I really agree with this. We'll probably experiment with different prize structures in the three-hour leagues that feed into the new default/hardcore. They're meant to be about racing for the sake of racing, rather than about getting more wealth than you do through normal play. Having said that, there will still be some prizes. More information in a few days, I guess.

Chris, please consider changing the way the orbs are randomized so that the highest value orbs have a lower chance of being awarded.

I think the whole problem with the prizes wasn't the number of orbs awarded, but that Exalted Orbs had just as much chance to be a prize as Orbs of Chance.

Participation in the races, and the sense of satisfaction from doing well in them, would remain high if players were still receiving a decent number of orbs, even if the chances of winning an Exalted were lower. It's a psychological thing basically. You could even increase the number of orbs if the rarest ones were much less likely to be a prize.

I believe I found only 2 Exalted Orbs from normal play, yet I've received at least 35 of them from race prizes. (I've placed 2nd Duelist in two of the 3-hour races, 18th overall in the 2-week race & 9th overall in one of the 1-week races.)
Last edited by Axebane on Oct 8, 2012, 5:09:07 PM
The point I was getting at was

a) People use Exalt orbs. They are taken out of the economy is this fashion.

b) I have never seen the price drop below 5GCP in default. Normal is 6. I've bought quite a few of them for crafting purposes.

c) I was thinking someone was going to respond with, "Well why do you think high end gear goes for 100GCP". Which the races have nothing to do with this. It is not hard by any means to save that amount of currency. Selling fusings, alchs, and saving items you find while farming will get to the amount fairly quickly.

I do however think that the prizes in races should be weighted.
Re Event Prizes:

While i think strong prize pools are great, i also think that there needs to be a better payout system than equal weight randomization. An orb points system where players can redeem their orb points for orbs at sensible rates from a vendor would work well. It would also allow players to combine points from several low finishes to purchase high end orbs they generally wouldnt win or have an easy time finding or trading for.

As for winning races being the only way to get rich: Not exactly true, but it is the most reliable way to get orb-rich. Having found maybe 5 or so exalted orbs total in my entire combined playtime, yet having ended this ladder season with 5 exalted stacks (not to mention the other 5 or so stacks i used during that time) almost all of which were won in events or traded from others who won them in events, i can attest personally that the drop:race ratio of high end orb aquisition is currently horribly skewed.
IGN: KoTao
That is a fantastic idea Kotao
"
KoTao wrote:
Re Event Prizes:

While i think strong prize pools are great, i also think that there needs to be a better payout system than equal weight randomization. An orb points system where players can redeem their orb points for orbs at sensible rates from a vendor would work well. It would also allow players to combine points from several low finishes to purchase high end orbs they generally wouldnt win or have an easy time finding or trading for.

As for winning races being the only way to get rich: Not exactly true, but it is the most reliable way to get orb-rich. Having found maybe 5 or so exalted orbs total in my entire combined playtime, yet having ended this ladder season with 5 exalted stacks (not to mention the other 5 or so stacks i used during that time) almost all of which were won in events or traded from others who won them in events, i can attest personally that the drop:race ratio of high end orb aquisition is currently horribly skewed.

^This is brilliant!

I personally invest my 2 or 3 hours for the chance of getting orbs... i don't get a lot of chance to play so I would probably stop playing races If there were no prizes for the top 5 of each class as i'm no chance at winning it lol
IGN: Amel, Ameladol, Spock, ILoveUniqueThings, AmelPVP

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info