Ranger - How to make a viable build

Fox,

My buddy in game went with nearly a full crit + attack speed build on ranger. He has about 30% crit chance, and 3 attacks per second when Frenzy charges are up. He can basically keep things permanently frozen/shattered because he deals so much cold damage.
TehHammer is not a crime!
Here you go guys, elemental bow ranger. I'm level 72, do 6k dps unbuffed, run three auras on top of this and do over 15k crit damage with flasks. All that with ok but not great gear.

Elemental Bow Ranger

I took skill points as my reward every time from bandits as I didn't need the life, obviously, and I am already maxxed elemental resists from gear.

If you're curious how I differentiate between Elemental Damage/Accuracy/IAS nodes, etc, see my post here:

DPS variations for a high level elemental bow ranger

Petrov.
Last edited by mrpetrov on Jul 8, 2012, 3:32:10 PM
sorry
ican't
"
mrpetrov wrote:
Here you go guys, elemental bow ranger. I'm level 72, do 6k dps unbuffed, run three auras on top of this and do over 15k crit damage with flasks. All that with ok but not great gear.

Elemental Bow Ranger

Petrov.

I liked your build before...
any idea how you are going to set that up with the new Passive skill tree?
chur!
"
Iapetos wrote:
"
mrpetrov wrote:

Elemental Bow Ranger

Petrov.

I liked your build before...
any idea how you are going to set that up with the new Passive skill tree?
chur!

Thanks, I appreciate it. Sadly, I don't really see going across the skill tree to get catalyze as a viable option any more. Instead, I'm thinking about respeccing to a sort of quasi-melee bow ranger who gets up and personal with the baddies:

Petrov's bad ass 0.9.11 point blank bow ranger

I'm a level 73 bow ranger, so I have some background in the game. I've also done some work on the per unit DPS of different nodes, like IAS vs Projectile damage etc, which has informed this build.

Key features:

- 85 points used
- 24 Int / 164 Str / 280 Dex
- 60% Weapon Elemental Damage
- 41% IAS
- 70% Crit Dmg Multiplier
- 74% increased Life
- 32% Accuracy Rating
- 4.5% Life Regeneration
- 39% Projectile Damage
- 108% Evasion
- 40% Armour
- 8% Fire/Cold/Lightning Resist
- Iron Reflexes
- Blood Magic
- Point Blank
- Unwavering Stance
- Armour Master
- Iron Grip

One tip VictorDoom has was to potentially lose some of the life regen and just focus on +life. This way you could move down to 2% life regen (ie lose 2.5%) but gain an incremental 30% life.

Petrov.
Last edited by mrpetrov on Jul 23, 2012, 5:01:00 PM
I've had no problems with an elemental bow (specifically lightning arrow) build after the patch. Yes, dps went down about 30% but getting Catalyze is still perfectly viable. I'm still doing 5-6k dps post-patch and still manage to have 2300 life, 93% IIQ and 165% IIR in the process. No problem with Act 2 Boss and lvl 62 maps.

Not claiming this is the top dps build but it is most certainly still a viable end game build if you like that playstyle.
"
jackals1234 wrote:
I've had no problems with an elemental bow (specifically lightning arrow) build after the patch. Yes, dps went down about 30% but getting Catalyze is still perfectly viable. I'm still doing 5-6k dps post-patch and still manage to have 2300 life, 93% IIQ and 165% IIR in the process. No problem with Act 2 Boss and lvl 62 maps.

Not claiming this is the top dps build but it is most certainly still a viable end game build if you like that playstyle.

Link to build? be interested to see what that looks like.
Build:
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQIBCNty12oi67xJth9t7x4SX1VkDmuLga1WiWl-lpKyYrb0CpgUBB95HkaqDY609lXhCvwqr4TXHBLdI1F4GGDZSZy8wxcXh5WHLJLz_oNe7wfnCeoqyJm9AlDD2eGNDylXfQveM9F7-Ohw94dsD46CnbP5HhM7KC1VYPDWre32eRY7kMhkW6lBsSrq84-h5oQ1WzwGjAeMEyzkr9wOAJbF5xqR8toqQy8RgMkz1aoFOlYKqDEdk4cffvNHdxirZVXS3bweUokUxWpkZesbe4rWDaSYTeKMnwtqOqvyJ_JDP36aOuLN4CAnKQbARM8UgyuTXsSEcRJoD8fEQxDJmmnrKF1Hdke4pCVdaC6RDM_P94Az_fsfDpV0fmWUzPTc93uwx0GqlkIlWQvgwRcgljqmtA3wYAVM-2JBLC7Rh8CIksnrmO9McLygvmWlMhGODS0K

+124% Life
+110% Weapon Elemental Damage
+30% Lightning Damage
+42% Increased Attack Speed
+21% Increased Projectile Damage

For AoE i use Lightning Arrow with Mana Leech, Weapon Elemental Damage, Lesser Multiple Projectiles and Item Quantity. For single target i use Lightning Arrow with Faster Attacks, Weapon Elemental Damage and Item Quantity. Sub out Item Quantity for something else if you want more damage.

Auras i use are Anger, Wrath and Discipline linked to Reduced Mana Cost. Curse with Elemental Weakness and also use Phase Run.

AoE damage = 4100
Single target = 6600
Lfe = 1900 + 460 Energy Sheild
IIR = 163%
IIQ = 93%

You can sub out life nodes for more damage nodes if you want but i find the extra survivability invaluable. Oh and i didn't take the +45 hp reward on any difficulty, so my life wold be closer to 2300 normally.

"
+124% Life
+110% Weapon Elemental Damage
+30% Lightning Damage
+42% Increased Attack Speed
+21% Increased Projectile Damage

For AoE i use Lightning Arrow with Mana Leech, Weapon Elemental Damage, Lesser Multiple Projectiles and Item Quantity. For single target i use Lightning Arrow with Faster Attacks, Weapon Elemental Damage and Item Quantity. Sub out Item Quantity for something else if you want more damage.

Auras i use are Anger, Wrath and Discipline linked to Reduced Mana Cost. Curse with Elemental Weakness and also use Phase Run.

AoE damage = 4100
Single target = 6600
Lfe = 1900 + 460 Energy Sheild
IIR = 163%
IIQ = 93%

You can sub out life nodes for more damage nodes if you want but i find the extra survivability invaluable. Oh and i didn't take the +45 hp reward on any difficulty, so my life wold be closer to 2300 normally.

Thanks for posting jackal. How do you manage mana in that setup, with only 54 base mana and no +mana nodes?

Also, I'm a bit surprised you spent 14 nodes just to get the extra 50% weapon elemental dmg.

Your setup doesn't use any damage mitigation or avoidance strategy - you must be pretty squishy - what gear setup do you use and whats your buffed armour/evasion in game?

Petrov.
Last edited by mrpetrov on Jul 24, 2012, 1:04:25 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info