Ranger - How to make a viable build

Hello, I have finally convinced myself to check on PoE. My first choice of class was a ranger, my favorite type in many games I played.

I have started with very little background and theory on PoE--few Krip's videos, some basic reading on these forums.

After getting my ranger to lvl40 this weekend and some more reading, I have come up with a basic build (Iron Reflexes, Iron Grip, Unwavering Stance) for open beta, which could be finalized with 10-15 points.

I would like to hear from more experience players whether this "general purpose" build is viable.
Passive skill tree build

I have also few questions that I could not find clear answer for:
- Does Leather and Steel bonus work with Iron Reflexes? If yes, how is the bonus added?
"
Baron01 wrote:
Hello, I have finally convinced myself to check on PoE. My first choice of class was a ranger, my favorite type in many games I played.

I have started with very little background and theory on PoE--few Krip's videos, some basic reading on these forums.

After getting my ranger to lvl40 this weekend and some more reading, I have come up with a basic build (Iron Reflexes, Iron Grip, Unwavering Stance) for open beta, which could be finalized with 10-15 points.

I would like to hear from more experience players whether this "general purpose" build is viable.
Passive skill tree build

- Does Leather and Steel bonus work with Iron Reflexes? If yes, how is the bonus added?

You spend 5 points to get Iron Grip, which means that it should give you at least as much damage as 5 bow damage nodes (which is 40% damage), which would require 200 Strength, which is double the requirement for using any skill gems you would want.
You grab a bunch of dex nodes to get to the north area there... you know what, there is too many mistakes for me to point them all out individually. Here is a revamp of your tree: Build
I'm not sure why you got Iron Grip or Piercing Shots. Piercing Shots is actually quite nice on Split Arrow with the Pierce support gem, but that whole thing is a specific build. If you don't have an extremely specific use in mind for either Iron Grip or Piercing shots though, I'd suggest you not get them. I got you Alchemist because it is one of the most powerful skill nodes on the tree (you'll learn this in time). I got you more life because the newer you are to the game, the more life you need. I got you some +Mana and Reduced Cost of Skills nodes because even with them, you're going to be pretty mana screwed. I got you celerity because it's ridiculously cost effective. I got you Golem's blood because it counteracts almost every Damage over Time effect in the game and will save your life quite a few times I'm sure.
If you want to play with me, add Lezli, and I can help you out and maybe get you some gear. ^^ <3
In-Game-Name: Lezli
Last edited by Lezli on Jan 15, 2013, 6:49:04 AM
ill be getting golem's blood as well :) thanks for the tip!
"
Baron01 wrote:

Passive skill tree build

I would make a different skilltree than Lezli's to incorporate Iron Grip, and here's how:

- The fundamental aim with this build is to seriously beef up your physical damage through strength via Iron Grip, and get around the mana problem by utilizing Blood Magic with lots of life and life regen to counter it. This leads a survivable Ranger that deals decent damage.

As for Leather And Steel, the "Steel" (aka armor) portion of the notable does not apply when using Iron Reflexes. GGG devs deemed it too powerful because essentially you were getting 48% increased armor from 1 node.
For Ranger build tips, tactics, and critiques, visit this thread:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/69224
I'm looking for someone to critique this blood magic iron grip build. I just recently got interested in the game so I'm quite the noob. All of my knowledge pretty much comes from this thread and prior RPG experience.

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIBm43uDlb6dEH8xWegh3ZKfRR1wdgOrSmlQ5wY23TxIWBAoAUtYEt673Tt704otWCIYVJVqZe0rLqfy1YEhmA6Ut-_NuhYr3gNqW618m6qMn5dAHfXfyswfE2SUUequKp_hxkILhmO7YPTfjWSTsjOZw843Q06szWGnaq5zSzpytMZtPqx6mLexr6nFFJlTUd-hNkl3xv6pBmrxa6TbPamVzrhiPE=

I'm hoping for something that can fair well in both PvP and PvE, but doesn't need to be optimized for either specifically. Since I haven't got to actually play far enough to see the game towards the end, I'm wondering if this build is too tank focused and not going to be able to put out enough damage, or just not committed to strength enough to warrant iron grip. I saw something earlier about stopping at 29 points left so that's what I went up to. How does it look?

Edit: And after about an hour and a half making this build I just realized the post above mine is almost exactly the same. I swear I didn't just copy yours and change it a little, I made mine from the ground up taking some suggestions posted earlier in the thread here and there.
Last edited by JMaggot on Jan 16, 2013, 6:34:02 AM
Cannot w8 to play my ranger!
IG: LittleLucas
"
JMaggot wrote:
I'm looking for someone to critique this blood magic iron grip build. I just recently got interested in the game so I'm quite the noob. All of my knowledge pretty much comes from this thread and prior RPG experience.

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIBm43uDlb6dEH8xWegh3ZKfRR1wdgOrSmlQ5wY23TxIWBAoAUtYEt673Tt704otWCIYVJVqZe0rLqfy1YEhmA6Ut-_NuhYr3gNqW618m6qMn5dAHfXfyswfE2SUUequKp_hxkILhmO7YPTfjWSTsjOZw843Q06szWGnaq5zSzpytMZtPqx6mLexr6nFFJlTUd-hNkl3xv6pBmrxa6TbPamVzrhiPE=

I'm hoping for something that can fair well in both PvP and PvE, but doesn't need to be optimized for either specifically. Since I haven't got to actually play far enough to see the game towards the end, I'm wondering if this build is too tank focused and not going to be able to put out enough damage, or just not committed to strength enough to warrant iron grip. I saw something earlier about stopping at 29 points left so that's what I went up to. How does it look?

Edit: And after about an hour and a half making this build I just realized the post above mine is almost exactly the same. I swear I didn't just copy yours and change it a little, I made mine from the ground up taking some suggestions posted earlier in the thread here and there.

your build is kinda same like mine xD
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIBAMwB0QPbBS0FhAguDq0POBRSFHUVIBjbGY4hYCfVKLUppSpNLOkwfDIJMn4ylDWGNZI6UjqzPydAoEOcR35KfU2STipOyFFHVgRbr2BLYIhhUmVNZ6Bqk2wWbqp0QXTtdPF313rvfwJ_K4PbhmCHGYd2ks2VBZuNnaqeuaJApuCn1Kp_qrirxavSrEevp6_rtkG5zb6nwA_B2MRYxKLOZ85x0k3TftXt1orZxtwV3Q3ext-_4oDqYu2D707vevT49qP8S_zF_sg=

ofc build work 100% fine dmg is okey but you need a lot of HP :)
Europe-Poland :D
MrJim Ranger 82lvl physical-build
MrJimo Templar 59lvl support-build
"
JMaggot wrote:

Spoiler

Haha, that's okay. For a first build, this is actually reasonable to work with compared to some others.

This is the case where you've gone too tanky and not enough damage. Missing out on the Perfect Aim/Greater Impact notables and the starting 6% increased attack speed will make you character very weak offensively and you cannot give that up. Using my build, you get a 1:2 ratio of offense to defense than 1:4 ratio of offense:defense.
For Ranger build tips, tactics, and critiques, visit this thread:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/69224
"
Islidox wrote:
"
Baron01 wrote:

Passive skill tree build

I would make a different skilltree than Lezli's to incorporate Iron Grip, and here's how:

- The fundamental aim with this build is to seriously beef up your physical damage through strength via Iron Grip, and get around the mana problem by utilizing Blood Magic with lots of life and life regen to counter it. This leads a survivable Ranger that deals decent damage.

As for Leather And Steel, the "Steel" (aka armor) portion of the notable does not apply when using Iron Reflexes. GGG devs deemed it too powerful because essentially you were getting 48% increased armor from 1 node.

Really like the look of this build so might have to use it come launch. Was looking into customizing it a bit but I dunno, it looks pretty solid as it is to me, but then again I am horrible at planning ahead and such which is why I have to look up what I'm doing first.
I made a ranger build. Starting bottom taking life nodes. Is this good ? Would mana be an issue ?

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIBm40ILhmO7YPTfjWSTsjuDlb6_MVnoId2Sn3dDTqzNYadqrnNLOmQCsS41fhuaXRBd9eVBTKUfwLZxgWEpuAj9u_wWkh_KzH6IXZ298qpMHxNklFHb_I51KCfjb_rFAW1sTCGznfU-VaquKp_hxm0GuLLJT_ajYdBr-sB0fT4okDEotwVq9Kn1P7IFHXB2A6tKaU-z73m

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info