Will GGG Ever Abandon Path of Exile and How it Can Happen

PoE1 will have its server assets repurposed to PoE2 when it loses its financial efficacy. You can bet your ass Tencent - who own the overwhelming majority of PoE - will never let their investment go on life support or require supplementation from PoE 2. I imagine we have maybe 3-4 years of PoE left as a generous estimate.

There will be no official offline mode because servers populate drops. Simple as that. No ifs or buts. Never. The day that happens is a day long after PoE's already dead and only via a third-party copy that's been coded for client-side drops. Like the old MU online servers (though that game as always client-side drops but hopefully you get what I mean).

I could be wrong about the timeline though not about finances being what determines PoE 1's future. It's been a very long time already. I've played this game for 11 years and I still love it. Truly unhappy they're not a 100% Kiwi-owned and operated company anymore, but what the development team created, I love.

No one can hear you poop in the forrest.
"
Raycheetah wrote:
"
Jerle wrote:
When POE2 has 5x POE playerbase.

I don't think the ratio will be that large. Key Devs (including Jonathan at last year's Exilecon) have already expressed their disdain for PoE 1 as a game, and their hopes for PoE 2 to be the "vision" they've always pursued. Unless they somehow intend to keep the "deeply-flawed" older game around for kicks, I doubt they will continue to invest many resources into PoE 1, once PoE Too has its feet under it. ='[.]'=

I actually absolutely agree with this view. And believe Chris and Jon says POE1 will coexist with POE2 only to placate the existing POE player base from a total meltdown if they know something they are so familiar and comfortable with will be sacrificed for something that's only based on hope and expectations.

I believe once POE2 settle down and the community broadly agree with GGG that POE 2 is the better game, it will become the only POE.
IGN: JerleNecroDD/JerleNecroRuthless
Harvest is the BEST league EVER. Deterministic crafting ftw.
How will POE2 and POE coexist?
"
hmcg020 wrote:
PoE1 will have its server assets repurposed to PoE2 when it loses its financial efficacy. You can bet your ass Tencent - who own the overwhelming majority of PoE - will never let their investment go on life support or require supplementation from PoE 2. I imagine we have maybe 3-4 years of PoE left as a generous estimate.

There will be no official offline mode because servers populate drops. Simple as that. No ifs or buts. Never. The day that happens is a day long after PoE's already dead and only via a third-party copy that's been coded for client-side drops. Like the old MU online servers (though that game as always client-side drops but hopefully you get what I mean).

I could be wrong about the timeline though not about finances being what determines PoE 1's future. It's been a very long time already. I've played this game for 11 years and I still love it. Truly unhappy they're not a 100% Kiwi-owned and operated company anymore, but what the development team created, I love.

My thoughts as well. As soon as poe1 hits a certain low, it'll be abandoned. I would bet that we'd get a couple years of maintenance mode, probably constant legacy league, but that's it.

Think about it, mtx is cross game. If all you've got is players mostly playing poe2, and mostly buying mtx on poe2, why would GGG spend money developing poe1 specific content?

Rather than viewing these as two distinct products, it's more accurate to consider them as a seamless mandatory upgrade, like for example the strategy employed by Microsoft over the years.

Similar to operating systems, players may initially hesitate to transition, preferring the familiarity of the older version. However, should they choose to upgrade, their investments seamlessly transfer over. Eventually, the older version becomes obsolete, but by then, players have already embraced the enhancements of the new iteration, rendering the transition smooth and natural.

Therefore, it's essentially an expansion as initially intended, just another method of deploying it.
"
Rather than viewing these as two distinct products, it's more accurate to consider them as a seamless mandatory upgrade, like for example the strategy employed by Microsoft over the years.

Similar to operating systems, players may initially hesitate to transition, preferring the familiarity of the older version. However, should they choose to upgrade, their investments seamlessly transfer over. Eventually, the older version becomes obsolete, but by then, players have already embraced the enhancements of the new iteration, rendering the transition smooth and natural.

Therefore, it's essentially an expansion as initially intended, just another method of deploying it.

You should be in politics. ='[.]'=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
Will GGG Ever Abandon Path of Exile?

of course they will. it's not even a question of if but when.
S L O W E R

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info