I hate Ultimatum

I'm a new player and I have been going hard on this since I've picked it up. Most of the previous league mechanics that I run into are fun, some more challenging than others but that's enjoyable to me.

What is not enjoyable on any of the characters I have is Ultimatum. I don't know why this is core tbh. I was talking to a buddy about it who has played on and off since launch and he explained that at one point it had been decided it wouldn't be core but then people disliked a different league mechanic Metamorphosis that he seemed to enjoy and from his explanation, sounded really cool.

Meanwhile, I cannot count the amount of times I've gotten stuck on an ultimatum wave with the 'kill waves of enemy' goal and it's because there's two stupid spiderbots that keep leaving the arena and constantly porting away from my melee characters. Maybe if they weren't empowered by wisps so their health and damage reduction wasn't absurd. Or maybe if there was a timer that said "oh, you've been stuck on these two a-holes for 2hrs, we'll throw you a bone and spawn the next wave." that would be helpful. But regardless of getting stuck it's just a lackluster event imo. It's never been fun even in the 60% of the time I manage to not get stuck by some crap like that.

Why did the community want this to be core?!
Last bumped on Mar 19, 2024, 7:19:57 AM
"
Tillystix wrote:
I'm a new player and I have been going hard on this since I've picked it up. Most of the previous league mechanics that I run into are fun, some more challenging than others but that's enjoyable to me.

What is not enjoyable on any of the characters I have is Ultimatum. I don't know why this is core tbh. I was talking to a buddy about it who has played on and off since launch and he explained that at one point it had been decided it wouldn't be core but then people disliked a different league mechanic Metamorphosis that he seemed to enjoy and from his explanation, sounded really cool.

Meanwhile, I cannot count the amount of times I've gotten stuck on an ultimatum wave with the 'kill waves of enemy' goal and it's because there's two stupid spiderbots that keep leaving the arena and constantly porting away from my melee characters. Maybe if they weren't empowered by wisps so their health and damage reduction wasn't absurd. Or maybe if there was a timer that said "oh, you've been stuck on these two a-holes for 2hrs, we'll throw you a bone and spawn the next wave." that would be helpful. But regardless of getting stuck it's just a lackluster event imo. It's never been fun even in the 60% of the time I manage to not get stuck by some crap like that.

Why did the community want this to be core?!

IIRC many people liked Ultimatum.
The problem with it (and some other stuff) is the combo with Affliction league.
If you're unlucky and empower the wrong rare with Whisps, you're in for lot of trouble.
I haven't had that problem with Ultimatum (yet). However, I had a similar stupid situation when I wanted to complete my tier 2 maps. I just missed Laboratory and it would not drop. The I had one and it went well until I pulled the lever to open the portal to the boss.
One of the monsters that spawned was vivid empowered, had life regen as a mod and possessed by Innocence. Couldn't get him down, so I couldn't complete the map.

Thing is, you can get absurd damage in PoE - but when you don't have that, there's just stuff you cannot kill.
This used to be a problem only in high tier maps, but with some of the Archnemesis mods AND whisps you're in for some nasty surprises.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
Ultimatum combined with affliction is pure poison. I was initially excited when I read that Ultimatum would return in 3.23, but there are some disappointing changes to the mechanic.

1. Rewards feel meh now. You can get lucky and get some nice double corrupted items, but overall it feels bad in my opinion.

2. Mobs no longer drop loot. This is the biggest disappointment for me and I don't understand why they changed it.

In it's current form, Ultimatum feels like a waste of time to me.
Last edited by Piquet75 on Mar 10, 2024, 5:38:13 AM
I don't like it either and skip it.

Loved metamorphosis
ultimatum would be ok if the rewards got a big rework but right now doing 10 rounds is a waste of time. takes too long and bad rewards.
Last edited by Lyutsifer665 on Mar 10, 2024, 9:23:53 AM
"
Glorfndel01 wrote:
I don't like it either and skip it.

Loved metamorphosis

This.
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
I like it and I haven't unspecced it the entire league. It is challenging content which needs well rounded character to be run. It will most likely get only easier next league. However I don't see a reason why I should get 12 chisels as tier 11(10+scarab) reward. I don't like the keystone since many of the mods are almost build breaking except for some specific builds. I also love the group aspect of it, which I personally don't engage with most of the time.
GGG remove ancestral totem buffs and buff base gems instead. It is annoying to have to press:

4 warcries, totem, berserk, banner, bloodrage, focus, curse to cast a slam

result: 1/5th of normal build damage and 1/4th of POB dps for slam build in real scenario.
Can't say I've ever encountered someone who enjoys hard content for no reward. It's like a mini-sanctum with the reward at the end, but it's even harder and there's never anything good.

Matamorph was quick, and popped loot. I imagine it would have went off this league tbh.

Ultimatum is just terrible.
No one can hear you poop in the forrest.
err i'm quite sure they stopped the empower shit with ultimatum mobs?
Didn't see it my time since months ago through.

and ultimatum is balanced around characters that are build for it, like most other league mechanics. This was freeloot with my penance character while quite annoying with the TR character.
Current Build: Penance Brand
God build?! https://pobb.in/bO32dZtLjji5
"
Piquet75 wrote:
Ultimatum combined with affliction is pure poison. I was initially excited when I read that Ultimatum would return in 3.23, but there are some disappointing changes to the mechanic.

1. Rewards feel meh now. You can get lucky and get some nice double corrupted items, but overall it feels bad in my opinion.

2. Mobs no longer drop loot. This is the biggest disappointment for me and I don't understand why they changed it.

In it's current form, Ultimatum feels like a waste of time to me.

The only thing that could be argued about is Trialmaster getting empowered but apart from that I am confused what you even mean. The mobs don't get empowered at all
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/artcrusader

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info