POE Reddit shutdown wipes decade+ of pointed discussion

"
Telzen wrote:
"
mrrick1781 wrote:
I don't think people fully understand the API changes. You will basically need to ask Elon for a loan every year to use it. 3rd party use of the API is basically over.

With how heavily r/pathofexile is moderated. It can not function without 3rd mod tools. With all the drama a few years ago with what people were saying on the subreddit and even the devs getting in on it. The moderation of the subreddit is above and beyond.

I just can't see the subreddit lasting once the API changes kick in.

Except it's in reddit's best interest for sub-reddits to be well moderated. Reddit will allow or provide tools used for that purpose, that isn't really going to be an issue going forward. They just don't want users browsing from third party apps, some of which do stuff like disabling the ads.

The correct order of operations were that the case would be develop and integrate said tools intrinsically in reddit > announce api changes > give DUE TIME for external platform development > make changes. Step one and two can be swapped around, the others can't.

Their current order of operations is:
Announce and integrate API changes in extremely short timeframe > announce wishywashy plans to maybe develop said tools internally in the future sometime maybe in response to backlash > ??? > profit?

It's fine if they don't want third party apps or tools, but when you have allowed your platform to function with them for years and years and said nothing (and in fact, actively said there would be NO changes in the next year to the API as late as Jan 2023), it's not reasonable to simply kill them off without first developing their replacements. This shit is completely arse-up out of order.

Until such a time that Reddit intrinsically supports those features and capabilities that are currently supported by third party developments, those third party options should be left completely unmolested. Make no mistake; without the third party development that has gone on around reddit, reddit itself would not exist as it does today. It wasn't at all a one-way street.
Last edited by Pathological on Jun 19, 2023, 10:42:48 AM
In case anyone was wondering, there's a mirror of nearly all the old PoE reddit content, with a link and explanation of how to use it here: https://pathofexile-discuss.com/post/2061
"
Lupold wrote:
In case anyone was wondering, there's a mirror of nearly all the old PoE reddit content, with a link and explanation of how to use it here: https://pathofexile-discuss.com/post/2061

God bless you!
"
God bless you!

No thanks, I'm allergic.
Can't we get rid off all the reddit mods with their stupid blackout? Problem solved. Let the free market correct itself.
"
sklipnoty wrote:
Can't we get rid off all the reddit mods with their stupid blackout? Problem solved. Let the free market correct itself.

Free markets are not self correcting.
"
Pathological wrote:
There is nothing corrupt about the mods... you should really go and do some reading if this is what you believe. Reddit asked for an absolutely absurd amount of money in an impossibly short timeframe, and the changes simply do not affect only third party apps.

No they didn't, you should do some research instead of reading some third-party freeloader devs propaganda.

I agree that the timeframe is ridiculously short though, but it really does not seem to me that this Appolo guy asked reddit for more time to adapt, he went all bonkers and now here we are.

The pricing isn't "absolutely absurd" (and comparing it to imgur is silly to put it mildly, those are two very different platforms with very different kinds of traffic)

I hope that some admins (like the poe subreddit ones) will just get stripped of their privileges and more reasonable people will be put in their place, seriously.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
"
Lupold wrote:

That's very nice ! thanks
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Subreddit is back, as soon as they saw their position of power is in danger they unlocked the sub lmao. But we did it for you users!

Im not coming back to that toxic hole, this last abuse of power was the final push I needed to leave the subreddit.
"
DiamondKid wrote:
Subreddit is back, as soon as they saw their position of power is in danger they unlocked the sub lmao. But we did it for you users!

Im not coming back to that toxic hole, this last abuse of power was the final push I needed to leave the subreddit.

lol i saw that its back. they want to moderate sooo badly. for some people a little power online is worth more than getting paid money for a job

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info