POE Reddit shutdown wipes decade+ of pointed discussion

Not being active there, are the mods really as bad as some make out? I know many left due to the power abuse by Reddit, but presumably the core still is around. It's not just people being salty over Reddit closing down for around a week?
"
ongZ wrote:
They need to gtfo and get replaced by new mods..

I Feel this way about a lot of mods across many Subs right now that I frequent.

Heck, I just got banned yesterday from one of my favorite subs becuase I didnt agree with the protest, and took offense to them describing leaving the sub on restricted instead of private(like they apparently want to do but are scared to do it) was being "generous" to us users. They created the sub. I basically told them that's insulting and they dont own reddit nor the game in question, and just go ahead and private it then so we can get some new mods.

Perm Banned me, then muted me for 28 days after I messaged the mods. I hope they do blackout July 1st like they keep threatening to do so they get replaced.

I have no idea why these guys think latching onto reddit, then latching onto a game name somehow means they created something magical. You didnt create anything; even the content on the subs is from the thousands of users who made it; not the handful of mods.
"
Xyel wrote:
"
Pathological wrote:
There is nothing corrupt about the mods... you should really go and do some reading if this is what you believe. Reddit asked for an absolutely absurd amount of money in an impossibly short timeframe, and the changes simply do not affect only third party apps.

What else than third-party apps does it affect though?

I mean, a large amount of API calls consumes hardware resources. Hardware costs money, so the only thing I'm surprised about reddit not killing it much sooner, because they were effectively sponsoring third-party apps, some of which are a direct competition to their own app. And seeing the amount of API calls and apps/bots mentioned in topics about it, that was not a small sponsorship.

I doubt those API calls are as taxing as engaging with the site directly through browsers and mobile apps is. Caveat however, is that all user data of people utilizing third-party sources doesn't go to Spez, and the company. It goes to those third-party runners. What better way to finally grab all that data, especially from mobile app users, than driving those third-party apps out of the game? That's really what they want to achieve.
witch enthusiast, send occ/ele/necro builds
Last edited by heaven0777 on Jun 24, 2023, 9:06:14 AM
"
Pangaearocks wrote:
Not being active there, are the mods really as bad as some make out? I know many left due to the power abuse by Reddit, but presumably the core still is around. It's not just people being salty over Reddit closing down for around a week?

I don't use reddit, but from what I read up on this there is few mod accounts (I highly doubt they are single people) that have control over majority of the website. They control the information according to their best interest (yes they have financial incentives coming their way). Its a pretty bad platform these days.
"
Pangaearocks wrote:

I never had mod action taken on any of my posts, but I object to all censorship and that is part of their official role. Deciding what is and isn't allowed to be posted (even things that are on topic). They are allowed to decide that 'too many threads are being made about a topic' and start deleting new ones at their subjective pleasure. They are allowed to disallow 'low effort memes' but if you go there any given day you will see 1-5 memes make it across the front page. Why those 1-5? Who knows, its up to their subjective opinion what to allow and what not to.

And this on a site where the COMMUNITY is supposed to decide what content is worthy of floating to the top.

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. And they have 100% full say in what the rules are outside of Reddit global subreddit policies. If you point out that one of their rules is hypocritical or unfair or goes against reddit global policy they will promptly tell you to start your own subreddit. That is power abuse even if the consequences of such are not dramatic or debilitating to anyone.
That does indeed sound negative, particularly about the quips about starting a new subreddit. I can kinda see the reasoning on memes and topics, when I attempt to see it from their perspective. Maybe they want people to vent a little and therefore allow a few memes (they're almost always dumb, but yeah), and want discussions on topic X to be in a few threads, rather than the same discussion, largely speaking, in 20 different threads. A bit like on the forum, where some people tend to slam you with TOCs or a hard-to-find quote from some sticky somewhere.

Anyway, power abuse is never good, and it gives a really bad feeling and experience to users subjected to it.

Overall, I'm a bit surprised both they and apparently many other modding teams folded so easily when Reddit threatened them. Ofc that is power abuse as well, on a much worse level, but still, it was a bit odd to see the protest fall silent so easily. But who knows, maybe the strong pushback from users here and there came into it as well.

Slight tangent, but kinda similar to what happened when Gamepedia got taken over and then killed off by Fandom (spit). I simply left and never looked back, cause I have zero interest in putting in free work for a corporation like that, that is most interested in shafting over wikis and shoving as much ads and spam into the pages as possible, and abusing algorithms and SEO, while selling user data to anybody remotely interested. Fantastic news that POE's wiki is independently hosted now! :)

Pretty darn sure that had I been a mod on a site like reddit these days and got met with such power abuse, I would have quit. Which apparently many did.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info