POE Reddit shutdown wipes decade+ of pointed discussion

"

GGG is not a master of third party tools. At all. The users are. If anything, GGG has been anti-third party tools by limiting the amount of API calls which killed off early iterations of the unofficial trade sites/tools like Aquisition (Which uses the forum as a trading platform, bypassing the need for Premium stash tabs). This isnt exactly an "evil" decision, as that extra API usage increased costs for GGG as well as facilitating market manipulators.

Protests are never clean. There is always collateral damage. That is the point afterall, as protests only occur when voices are not listened to the first time.

Read again what I said. They are masters of EXPLOITING third party tools, not of the tools themselves. Wouldnt be third party tools if GGG actually controlled them, would they? :P

But let me back my sentiment up with a few examples of what I mean.

The inherent trade system of PoE was so bad it took a third party tool to fix it and all GGG did in response was copy it, and that largely in response to the revelation that an early third party trade indexer was (fucking surprise) shady as shit.

A third party character builder was so popular they hired the creator.

GGG have been using reddit as their all-but-official platform for years, relegating their first party platform (ie this site) to news posts and the occasional meme.

Some may argue a certain server on Discord is keeping high end PoE alive.

All of these illustrate a long-standing tradition of exploiting third party tools rather than putting in the effort to make and maintain their own.

Also by exploit I mean in the sense of resource plundering to an unhealthy extent, not "cheating" or using some sort of loophole.

As for these protests, I am all for them but also cynical enough and experienced enough to know they rarely work. Herding cats and all that. Selfish interests and all that.
The name says it all.
Last edited by 鬼殺し on Jun 16, 2023, 7:44:35 AM
"
lolozori wrote:
Not sure I understand what s going on,

so what I think is happening is that AI guys are stealing infos on the net and Reddit is a target and reddit decided to sell the infos instead of getting stolen and put a price on moderating tools because of it?

If this is the case why no one is complaining about the AI guys?

Yeah you're gonna want to do a quick google on this one. It's not quite that simple.
The name says it all.
"
Tygerlilly wrote:
They are punishing the users in order to make a point with their alledged abusers.

They hijacked a huge dataset of valuable information, much of which was provided by the very people they have now blocked.

If they want to be perceived more as caring about the community and less about defending their egos, they might want to rethink this strategy.

True.

They had a "flash" vote where less than 10-20% of people commented / voted on. Apparently, that was misinterpreted as "overwhelming support".

If memory serves me right less than 1,300 votes where on that sticky post. So, lets be generous and "round it up" to 2,000 votes. That is still less than 0.4% of the more than half a million user base.

Give me a break.
Good news, reddit is starting to remove all the mods that went private. Good riddance and goodbye to those who chose to hold a community hostage.
Literally zero subreddits of any relevance will be permanently shut down. Maybe 5 will still be dark a month from now. This whole thing is silly. Reddit admins are in the right and there's zero risk to their business because nobody is going anywhere.

Reddit really needs to make a quality app tho. Browsing is an amazing experience on the third party apps and complete garbo on the official app. Personally I will just not visit the site at all on mobile anymore until it's improved considerably.
Its the beginning of the end for reddit as you knew it. Let them dig their own grave if they want, I wont be back if they do not at least negotiate with the ones who kept their product running for years.
You can access like 50% of old posts through google cache.
Masterpiece of 3.16 lore
"A mysterious figure appears out of nowhere, trying to escape from something you can't see. She hands you a rusty-looking device called the Blood Crucible and urges you to implant it into your body."

Only usable with Ethanol Flasks
Last edited by gandhar0 on Jun 16, 2023, 9:03:58 PM
[Removed by Support]

From the person who for some reasons thinks the reddit mods make money, to the person who thinks the sub is all yes men when in fact the sub has been pure GGG hate orgy echo chamber thats chased away all the reasonable people even the critical ones like myself. And this has been going on non stop since expedition league. Filled with unhinged bad faith interpretations of literally everything GGG publicly states.

On the topic: the reddit sub has not had more than the occasional freak "high quality" discussion on it in 3-4 years... Decade of pointed discussion? What are you even on about? Its all RMT item showcase posts and memes about Chris hating fun and idiots mocking "the vision" that made POE a thing in the first place, because "the vision" doesn't have Lawn mower sim combat which some players think they want.

Personally I date the fall of the reddit sub to exactly when D3 vomited up its casual audience into GGG's lap while GGG calmly held Blizzards hair and soothingly said "there there, let it all out, yes everyone has phones, yes that was incredibly stupid and tone deaf to say... you're drunk blizzard, but you'll live, eventually they'll forget you said it"
"only 10% of players care about melee" - Aesop's Fox if he was a GGG dev
"when you die in this game, typically you're getting one shot, you're dieing in one frame; almost always" -Ben_
Last edited by Vinky_GGG on Jun 16, 2023, 9:40:31 PM
mobile users ruining everyones experience since 2010
d:-D*
and by the way i totally agree with op

most of the times when i face some PoE related question that cannot be quickly aswered by wiki or poeDB.. i end up in an old reddit thread that solves it

like i have skipped 33% of the leagues and need some detailed aswers about the mechanics = reddit has it
d:-D*
Last edited by PyleWarlord on Jun 17, 2023, 12:11:16 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info