Animation Feedback

In my humble opinion, large overhaul of monster death animations along with hit reactions, strong squishy sound and making melee attacks just a little bit quicker would do wonders.

I think focusing on and improving upon character attack animations wouldn't really change things because of the result will be the same anyway (monster death animation). Also when I consider the fact that you're the only animator Ari, getting everything right this far into the development sounds almost impossible.

So, I vote for changed monster death animations instead of improved character weapon swing, movement animations.
He who fights with monsters
might take care lest he thereby
become a monster.
"
permaximum wrote:
In my humble opinion, large overhaul of monster death animations along with hit reactions, strong squishy sound and making melee attacks just a little bit quicker would do wonders.

I think focusing on and improving upon character attack animations wouldn't really change things because of the result will be the same anyway (monster death animation). Also when I consider the fact that you're the only animator Ari, getting everything right this far into the development sounds almost impossible.

So, I vote for changed monster death animations instead of improved character weapon swing, movement animations.

Thanks for your point of view permaximum. The death animation issue is a longer term goal, there are future plans for a overhaul of the system and getting rid of canned death animations but these are things that will be looked at after release. If you have any specific monster death animations that bother you please list them and i'll go through and tweak what i can.

Ari
animator
"
Ari wrote:
If you have any specific monster death animations that bother you please list them and i'll go through and tweak what i can.

It's a little silly for Infernal Blow to blow skeletons up into a bunch of blood and guts. (Also Detonate Corpse on skeleton corpses.)
------
"And 'Do what thou willst' shall be the whole of the law." -- Aleister Crowley
"First, love; then, do what thou willst." -- St. Augustine
"Whatever is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
"
"
Ari wrote:
If you have any specific monster death animations that bother you please list them and i'll go through and tweak what i can.

It's a little silly for Infernal Blow to blow skeletons up into a bunch of blood and guts. (Also Detonate Corpse on skeleton corpses.)

Ditto that, they are made of 'bones' after all, not flesh.
"This is too good for you, very powerful ! You want - You take"
"
"
Ari wrote:

That makes sense, I'll pass it on to the effects guy
animator
Same goes for the big rock dudes, by the way.
------
"And 'Do what thou willst' shall be the whole of the law." -- Aleister Crowley
"First, love; then, do what thou willst." -- St. Augustine
"Whatever is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
"
Same goes for the big rock dudes, by the way.

noted
animator
"
Erik wrote:
We'd like to know all you have to say about the animations in the game - both character animations and monster animations. Is there anything that sticks out as unnatural or bad compared to the rest? Is the way certain weapons are used just unrealistic? Are any animations or actions too long or too short?

And any other comments of course!

Haven't read all of the replies, sorry.

Regarding the animations themselves, terrific! Brilliant! I love the artwork and the way the environment interacts together. This beta is coming along great so far! Having said that, there are a few minor things holding the animation back, but nothing serious:

Casting charges of Enduring Cry; the animation takes too long to perform, combined with the low duration of the skill makes the skill difficult to use at low level.

I only mention these last two for sake of completeness, to be sure they are in the correct spot, because I've mentioned both of them before, but never in this area of the forum because I've never posted here before:

Of course the Shambling Mound animation/attack bug that your aware of.

The walking towards you bug/feature I've commented on a couple of times where when enemies walk towards to before they stop and attack and you click them to engage them in melee combat, you will walk to where they where instead of where they are, even if you held down the mouse button. Once they stop moving and attack you once, you can follow them wherever they go when they walk around, but not the initial walk forward to attack you. I assume this is an animation error, or feature as I was made to believe.
"
Ari wrote:
Thanks for your point of view permaximum. The death animation issue is a longer term goal, there are future plans for a overhaul of the system and getting rid of canned death animations but these are things that will be looked at after release. If you have any specific monster death animations that bother you please list them and i'll go through and tweak what i can.

Ari

There's nothing wrong with death animations as far as realism goes. Unfortunately the problem lies within their design. Mobs only fall. This is true for most of the death animations except skeleton and hulk monster if I remember right and I suspect they're excluded because they don't have any flesh.

In Diablo games, all of demons/monsters have some kind of special death animation.

Couldn't find the gif but those corrupted rogues in D2 had very nice death animation/sound too. Their spirits flee after death.

I know that you alone won't be able to change/improve all monster death animations and Andrew alone can't implement new sounds for every monster death.

However you can prioritize monsters which we encounter most of the time and start working on them. Also I hope act3 mobs won't suffer this canned death issue.

But in the end you'll decide what to do. I'm just giving some feedback.
He who fights with monsters
might take care lest he thereby
become a monster.
superb clicking there permaximum with a blast from the past.

As animations goe, Diablo I is the real deal i'd say ! My two favourite death animations go for those Goatmen, puking their own blood, and soaked in, just brilliant. And their gutturals' sound when they attack (they also have a secondary attack style turning 360 degree) and get hit, totally demonic as it gets !

The second favourite of mine being Succubus' demons, their lustful screams were echoed by the corridors all over the place. And upon death animations were totally driven me out crazy, lol.

Want to point out that they were so excellent that, even repetitous side of them would not come us as boring, cause it was really mesmerizing, and making us hungry to see more !

* I started to play Diablo + Hellfire a few days ago again, just to remember how great most of the content it delivered, and still standing in the test of time after all these years..
"This is too good for you, very powerful ! You want - You take"
Last edited by BrecMadak on Dec 15, 2011, 5:46:52 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info