Animation Feedback

"
biofreeze wrote:
I've been playing a Marauder mainly. I was dual wield spec'd. Now I'm 2h like a proper mara. I feel like the animations aren't very unique. I know that all the skills I'm using require me to swing my large axe in a menacing manner, but I still feel that they are very similar.

Cleave looks a lot like heavy strike, looks a lot like infernal blow, looks a lot like auto attack. Don't get me wrong, I love the game play. But I remember when Diablo 2 introduced the "new" whirlwind animation with the waves of air trailing the weapon. That was holy crap awesome.

I don't know how much was intended for the melee skills, but I think the animations are a little lacking.
]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is more to do with Effects and is more for Russel (I THINK). At the moment they don't have 'bloomy' particles or trails, but they plan to add that in so I bet the majority of skills will get some nice updates to make them look more unique.
I like the design of the new snake monsters in act 2, but their animations seem really clunky to me.
Disregard witches, aquire currency.
"
dust7 wrote:
I like the design of the new snake monsters in act 2, but their animations seem really clunky to me.

hi,

Something a little more specific than 'clunky' would be appreciated in the intrest of making animations better.

does it have to do with the way it moves or the attack etc?
animator
"
Tenebraex wrote:
"
biofreeze wrote:
I've been playing a Marauder mainly. I was dual wield spec'd. Now I'm 2h like a proper mara. I feel like the animations aren't very unique. I know that all the skills I'm using require me to swing my large axe in a menacing manner, but I still feel that they are very similar.

Cleave looks a lot like heavy strike, looks a lot like infernal blow, looks a lot like auto attack. Don't get me wrong, I love the game play. But I remember when Diablo 2 introduced the "new" whirlwind animation with the waves of air trailing the weapon. That was holy crap awesome.

I don't know how much was intended for the melee skills, but I think the animations are a little lacking.
]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is more to do with Effects and is more for Russel (I THINK). At the moment they don't have 'bloomy' particles or trails, but they plan to add that in so I bet the majority of skills will get some nice updates to make them look more unique.

Nah I think hes talking about the actual animations. All the skills do just swing the weapon in some way and don't really do much. Sadly that's because every character has a separate rig so every time we add a new animation to the game for a skill every character also has to get that animation. So thats 6 new animations already.Then times that 6 by 3 for different weapon types and there we go. Lots of new animations for 1 skill. Heavy strike and glacial hammer share animations for this reason. So this is sadly why Ari cant add a new animation for each skill. For some reason at the beginning of development each character was given its own rig which is now causing this crazy work load for Ari. If there was only 2 rigs > 1 for male one for female characters Ari would have a lot easier time.
I like all the fluffy animals[img]http://i.imgur.com/mO8dR.png[\img]
y im slept?
Hang in there Ari ! =)
http://www.youtube.com/user/swedishtavern

Around 90h of PoE Content made and spread across Scandinavia. Now invading Europe & US
Enjoy
I really enjoy watching those amazing skill effects, but what really bugs me are character animations. So far I tried playing templar only (cause he looked coolest on char creation screen, would go for duelist if he didnt have such a big head hahaha).

Anyway, i realy dont like the way he is running, it looks stiff and weird. Maybe he should lean his upper body forward or something.

Second thing is attack animation, it feels like im "touching" mobs when im hiting them using basic attack, maybe cause animation is slow, if it was blink-blink or faster, would be better, dont really know.

Even though i kinda got used to those, it was a big turn off when i loged in for the first time, but then i used that frost puls skill and i got the spirit back. Its basicly what u do all the time in the game, run around and beat things, think it should look cool :)

Also going to idle positione in towns, its instant. Think it needs couple of seconds delay before he takes the position and some sort of transition.

And yes, im not saying those animations are horrible, but think it could be improved.
"
Ari wrote:
"
dust7 wrote:

hi,

Something a little more specific than 'clunky' would be appreciated in the intrest of making animations better.

does it have to do with the way it moves or the attack etc?

They look for me like they are flying, I mean there is no contact with ground. Its how it looks for me.

Btw. Great work.
Last edited by Lycian on Feb 20, 2012, 1:11:07 AM
"

They look for me like they are flying, I mean there is no contact with ground. Its how it looks for me.

Btw. Great work.

This was also my first impression. Maybe add some footprints or darker shadow to get the animation connected to the ground
Love is the emblem of eternity; it confounds all notion of time;
effaces all memory of a beginning, all fear of an end.
Last edited by Melograt on Feb 25, 2012, 3:19:37 AM
Armguards get a little misplaced if equiped together with a wand on a ranger:

In town

Outside of town

Also, have a look at this thread: :)
Templar Dual-wielding is Hilarious
"
pneuma wrote:
If you equip a dagger, he switches into "holding weapons backwards" mode. If you then dual-wield any other item, it is also held backwards.

Anyway, here's some pictures:

The last two had me coughing up my soda for a few minutes.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/19283/

Edit: fixed the link to pneuma's thread.
[The Prison] Crawl a text-based dungeon - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/26299
Last edited by Azhubham on Mar 10, 2012, 8:18:23 PM
Wow that axe and hammer.. hahahah.

the arm guard looked pretty nice as well!
I like all the fluffy animals[img]http://i.imgur.com/mO8dR.png[\img]
y im slept?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info