Puncture

"
xdjamakx wrote:
After i got bored from OP builds i made a puncture-ranger.

ScreenDPS is around 700, effectiveDPS around 6400 now. Still testing, will tell you guys how if char feels complete!

I'd like to know how you're going with this.
I am playing one at the moment, really enjoying it. Crit based.
Running:

Puncture -> Crit Dmg -> Crit Chance -> Added Fire
With Crit curse, one hit can cause around 50k damage when the fool chases you :P

Puncture -> LMP -> Pierce -> PCoC
Great on large groups (also have Pierce passive, currently 90% chance)
Also good for kiting large rooms

Utilising Poison arrow, fire trap and Vuln for stationary mobs, and Range totem-split arrow-flee.

Biggest challenge is getting a good Physical bow.
Fun, sadistic build though for those who get a kick out of it...

(A good trick I found on rares and bosses is to land a big crit on the single target with crit curse, then throw Vuln on them to enhance the DoT).
Tin foil hats are a lie propagated by the aluminium industry.
I think puncture should be remade
or make it a support for bleeding.

on melee it sucks
and range got way way way better options than choosing this skill.
"
xamitxx wrote:
I think puncture should be remade
or make it a support for bleeding.

on melee it sucks
and range got way way way better options than choosing this skill.

I agree and disagree.
I don't think it should be a support. Playing a Puncture Archer I can feel the potential of this skill. When you land a crit on a yellow or boss and see their life drop dramatically as they chase you is amazing.
Given this skill requires enemies to move to make it worthwhile definitely makes a melee version "challenging".

I feel the biggest hurdle in a lot of these games is that attack speed is king.
You're right that for ranged it is easier to get higher damage output with other skills, because Puncture is about Damage per Hit skill more than a Attacks per Second.

Ultimately, I'm enjoying the theory crafting challenge of it, and it is a fun kite skill as you do damage when you are running away or around things.
Tin foil hats are a lie propagated by the aluminium industry.
still doesnt work with 2 handed swords right?
in which description does it say that?
in the official game->skill gems->puncture its: daggers claws and swords...

+i think it should be more visible that the skill is doing something and when it worked and when the effect turns off...i just click it from time to time hoping the boss will die faster xD...with 2h sword...
but how could i know it didnt work xD
Last edited by lolli42 on Sep 3, 2013, 5:28:50 PM
"
lolli42 wrote:
still doesnt work with 2 handed swords right?

It has worked with two-handed swords ever since they changed the description to what you just quoted (May 10th).
ok ty then it rlly isnt animated very well
cus i dont get if it does something or not
Does puncture work with pierce? Would be nice with multiple projektiles and chance to flee...
"
GGWampalumpa wrote:
Does puncture work with pierce? Would be nice with multiple projektiles and chance to flee...
yes
I feel need to sure some not mathematical feedback.

I'm a noob finishing act 1 on cruel, and I must say - maybe puncture on melee suck, but playing high mobility with aoe puncture duelist is SO MUCH FUN.

I'm one of those casual players not caring much about efficency, and jumping in with Flicker Strike, hitting boss with Puncture and/or landing some Viper strike and then desperately dashing away with Whirling Blades has this awesome, awesome feeling to it.

I have to kite those Brutus'es and Piety's, sure. But why I do that, they tend to bleed out with Vulnerability on them. I don't feel completely helpless while running away even though "omg, they are 2-shoting me!"

Yes, prolly I could do more dps with single hit. But watching them bleed as I run around kiting has a unique, great feeling to it.

Outside of bosses, jumping into high priority targets (mages, necromancers) and watching how they try to run away killing themselves even faster... Ye, it just feels great.

For some it's reward in itself - I usually say that maybe I'm not "efficient". But I really do have fun.

My only real problem is that with my setup I lack spell slots for Reju totems/charge stacking etc. My mobility and need for mass wave clear forces some sub-optimal choices, I don't know - maybe another weapon set with those skills could remedy that, allowing me to x + buff myself + x, repeat the dive, idk how it would pan out.
i can't get a straight answer - does the bleed effect from puncture reflect to yourself?

it is physical damage, so im almost assuming it does. if so, this is a problem (against reflect anyway).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info