RNG-itis: a cure without (notably) changing probability

"
MINUS 10 to PLUS 20, not much so :D

I see what you mean. Yeah, that would work, too.

You stated this before, but some notion of your progress, and how far forward (or back) one has gone would be super important here.
Last edited by Courageous on Mar 16, 2013, 12:03:36 PM
Im actually beginning to think, and its scary if this is true, that the reason that GGG is doing this is to help preserve the economy

There are certain combo builds (which the top players all famously abuse) which is netting them insane amounts of currency. If there was any form of determinism (even if its just an entropy based system, where you still have chance but at least you get a determined outcomes should you have enough currency), higher level players would just buff their gear to ridiculous amounts and exasperate the situation further which would cause inflation.

It is most likely the same reason why maps are the way they are

Which is why I am kinda for courageous idea of banning trade but increasing IR/IQ massively. It also brings forward interesting questions regarding preserving economy and balance (theoretically speaking, if your game is decently balanced there wouldn't be so much of an issue with entropy based system because there wouldn't be any broken build that is able to farm currency way higher than others)

For similar reasons this is why I am against IR/IQ as mods in general, especially when you run things like summoner which require completely minimal gear investment
"
deteego wrote:
GGG is doing this is to help preserve the economy.
No, this design came from a time long before that. GGG only started talking about economy recently around when maps was introduced and they realized they dont know how to control the power creep within their 10 years plan.
Please pardon my bad english
"
rephikul wrote:
"
deteego wrote:
GGG is doing this is to help preserve the economy.
No, this design came from a time long before that. GGG only started talking about economy recently around when maps was introduced and they realized they dont know how to control the power creep within their 10 years plan.

Oh I know that the design came long before that, but its not uncommon for a game to have some bad designs in Alpha/beta cycles, which the company acknowledges and then fixes.

What I was saying that I think that GGG is not fixing this design because they want to preserve the economy. There are no longer going to be any wipes, and so changing what is now such a fundamental part of the game is going to screw the economy quite hard, one way or another
This game is purely built around RNG. You have no control about ANYTHING in the game except the quest rewards and passive tree.

It's simply a fancy slot-machine with unregulated RNG. People who addicted or positive about such things keep playing, others eventually stop playing.

IMO bad design choice, I am against the 'against the odds' gambling and might ruin the game eventually even for the people who love it.

Doing what was proposed in here means changing the entire game design which means creating a totally different (aka new) game.

How things stand right now you either like how it works and keep playing, dislike how it works and still keep playing or just stop playing because I doubt one of the core mechanics (as bad and lazy as it is) will doubtfully change.

I am not saying the devs ignore community or do not care, I am saying that changing how the RNG currently works means remaking most of the game.

And for all the fanboys - luck doesnt mean skill. Cheers!
For some gaming industry gaming information and to just learn more about games check out

http://extra-credits.net/ - One of the most informative websites about the gaming industry.
I don't agree that it's a game redesign, although the value of the statistical regulator versus the labour cost is certainly debatable. Regardless, I suspect that they should change fusings somehow, and would further suggest that it's in their best interests to do so.
"
Courageous wrote:
I don't agree that it's a game redesign, although the value of the statistical regulator versus the labour cost is certainly debatable. Regardless, I suspect that they should change fusings somehow, and would further suggest that it's in their best interests to do so.

Most of us agree that something needs to be done, especially regarding sockets/fusings
"
deteego wrote:
"
Courageous wrote:

Most of us agree that something needs to be done, especially regarding sockets/fusings

If the dev team really decides to go on this path, they would better re-evaluate the whole RNG thing, not just put some patch there, and another there and so on.

This thing needs to be rethought considering every aspect, the looting, the rewards, the crafting, currencies, trading - all need to be balanced properly.

But yeah, only if they decide to "fix" RNG/keep it under control with some additional mechanisms and stuff. I have my feelings it won't happen though.
placeholder for creative sig
I know!

Every time you use a fusing on an item, a portal opens to a specific map.
In here you'll have a timer, and if you beat the "boss" of the map in that timer, you gain 1 more link to your item!
Omg!

/troll

Serious answer:

I wouldn't mind if RNG was completely removed for a "work hard somehow and get the reward you seek" system that works.
Both with stat orbs (chaos, etc) and fusings/jewellers, if not just implement a new system altogether.

The system can be anything though, as long as it works (sounds easy like that lol).

Although yeah, that is redesigning the game >_>

Although my idea from above may somehow work :P
Include a scroll/orb, that when used on gear creates a portal inside that item.

This would be a "map" basically, or a series of maps (i.e series of areas), or something.

Imagine the item is a weapon. If it's a wand, the "map" will have casters and stuff.
If it's an axe, it'll have melee monsters; etc.
If it's white, it won't have much, just normal monsters.
If it's blue, then the "map" receives a bonus depending on the affix of said item?
If the weapon has "+12% increased attack speed", all monsters inside have +12% increased attack speed.
If the weapon has "+50% increased elemental damage", so do all the monsters.

Then, somehow, you can kill monsters inside this map that allow you to improve the weapon somehow (I dunno how lol).
Maybe it can have different "area bosses", and if you kill one of these bosses and clear the area, your weapon gains a stat....maybe?
Or gains a socket if you do something inside, I dunno, the sky is the limit :P
"
gonzaw wrote:
I know!

Every time you use a fusing on an item, a portal opens to a specific map.
In here you'll have a timer, and if you beat the "boss" of the map in that timer, you gain 1 more link to your item!
Omg!

/troll

Serious answer:

I wouldn't mind if RNG was completely removed for a "work hard somehow and get the reward you seek" system that works.
Both with stat orbs (chaos, etc) and fusings/jewellers, if not just implement a new system altogether.

The system can be anything though, as long as it works (sounds easy like that lol).

Although yeah, that is redesigning the game >_>

Although my idea from above may somehow work :P
Include a scroll/orb, that when used on gear creates a portal inside that item.

This would be a "map" basically, or a series of maps (i.e series of areas), or something.

Imagine the item is a weapon. If it's a wand, the "map" will have casters and stuff.
If it's an axe, it'll have melee monsters; etc.
If it's white, it won't have much, just normal monsters.
If it's blue, then the "map" receives a bonus depending on the affix of said item?
If the weapon has "+12% increased attack speed", all monsters inside have +12% increased attack speed.
If the weapon has "+50% increased elemental damage", so do all the monsters.

Then, somehow, you can kill monsters inside this map that allow you to improve the weapon somehow (I dunno how lol).
Maybe it can have different "area bosses", and if you kill one of these bosses and clear the area, your weapon gains a stat....maybe?
Or gains a socket if you do something inside, I dunno, the sky is the limit :P
\

Either way you look at it - its a different game. XD
For some gaming industry gaming information and to just learn more about games check out

http://extra-credits.net/ - One of the most informative websites about the gaming industry.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info