High level solo experience grinding is so fun. Dying sucks.

"
SevSaint wrote:
yep you need more health and defense.
At level 80 2.5k or more plus a good defense node is needed for solo. Look at some hard core builds and see if you can get an idea.
I only have about 15 nodes offense on tree, rest is defense and ability points to get defense. I plan on getting every health node run full evasion. a good chest piece is 1k plus on evasion.

But on that point, I disagree strongly that someone should have to spend 80% of their passive points purely on defense just to be able to play the game.
(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.
"
Sizzlebuzz wrote:

What am I doing with my life?

making me think about how much time I really just lost with nothing to show for it.

tl;dr

Who cares.

lol sad
The damage you deal comes mostly from skill gems and support gems, and even more damage from the high quality ones. There are many offensive nodes on the skill tree, but not to grab them all, just to give the possibility to grab a few easy access ones on the route to grab the defensive and other important nodes. So you have to grab over 200% hp nodes, if not over 250% on lvl 80. It is possible, just plan your build carefully, search for the offline skill tree planner. Here is the link, very useful:

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/19723

You have to use multiple defensive skills, like totems, curses, traps, escape abilities. And you need decent gear, also focused mostly on defense, and you have to play very good. And even if you accomplish all of these, no one guarantees, that you won't die in one hit, but it will be much less likely.

One thing I agree with, I find lags a pretty big issue, especially in a game where your character can die in one hit. I really hope they will handle it as hard as they can, I would prefer that way more than getting a lot more skill gems.
The game is designed not to let you get to max level and have any sort of endgame. It gives the illusion of a deep experience when in fact it is nothing more than a Korean grinder. I guess you have hit your personal ceiling and cannot progress. That is a close to completing the game you can get.

Time to play another character or quit, not to sound like a dick but you cannot do any more with your character. Maybe come back in a year when more content is added.
"
Sizzlebuzz wrote:
Now first off, let me say that I am actually a fan of grinding for experience. But, being close to level 80, the experience has completely shut off from regular zones. Meaning I can really only get experience from map zones.

So after a lot of farming and some luck, I was able to obtain a few map drops. I enter maps and get more maps, sometimes I die, usually due to being insta-pwned by a mob of rangers when I walk through a door, or a huge mob of ice/puncture/fast moving enemies that decide they really don't want me to move while they kill me.

The game is how the game is I guess, is it fair, not really. Maybe I should have learned not to progress through the level and stand at the entrance with a huge feeling of accomplishment for making it there. But that's not me.

Now being a solo player, my gear isn't the best, but my resistances are all 75% (aside from chaos, and I take special note of chaos damage enemies). My melee physical blocks 31% and I have 2200 hp (130-140% hp nodes), so I consider myself decently built to survive. My dps is awful for my level, many rangers double it while being a lower level than me. I can't play in a group unless I want to play at 1 fps.

So here I am soloing map after map, dying and raging about how I am going to quit this game because I have lost so much time with nothing to show for it. But every once in a while, enemies aren't too bad and I get lucky on the insta-pwn cases and end up surviving with 100 hp or less, and I get a good 50% experience without a death. Feels pretty good to make some progress.

Anyway, I enter the dungeon knowing the boss is a brutus/kole enemy. I am prepared and enter the boss room. I proceed down the hallway and make it to the door leading to the chamber with the boss and his minions resting inside. I throw down some bear traps at the entrance, throw out my totem and begin to range the boss as he pulls and kills my totem.

He makes to the door and I back up to about the start-mid of the hallway, I throw out another totem and some traps while readying my frenzy charges and I die.

Nothing is around me, anywhere. I see the boss walk up to my corpse and attack my totem, indicating he was indeed far enough away to be unable to hit me with a melee wave that would kill me like something just did.

Pissed and defeated I make my way back to the map (the boss is standing alone right where he left me, so it was indeed him who killed me due to what I assume was the worst type of desync), enter the chamber and kill the boss. Yes! 1% back from clearing him and everything else in the room, I must have been close to an experience percentage raise. I look at the pile of blues the boss drops, not wanting to even walk near any of the junk as I might step in it and get it all over my shoes. I leave. Alt+tab, and come to the forums.

All the while I have been thinking to myself.. man, do I love spending several hours clearing solo maps just to lose about 30% of that experience in a split second due to something I can't control (most of the time). Only 3-4 good level maps which I don't have to get that experience back. So much fun, so super fun.

What am I doing with my life?

Thanks GGG for making an experience penalty so high that it pulls me out of gaming and back into reality by making me think about how much time I really just lost with nothing to show for it. Please change experience penalty.

tl;dr

Who cares.

2200 hp for level 79 is very low. My level 71 has 3.2k. Also, maybe you don't have enough support/defensive abilities? Post your skill tree and the gear you're using and maybe I can help you.
See you, Space Cowboy...
Last edited by Origination on Feb 16, 2013, 2:06:49 AM
"
bhavv wrote:
"
SevSaint wrote:
At level 80 2.5k or more plus a good defense node is needed for solo. Look at some hard core builds and see if you can get an idea.
I only have about 15 nodes offense on tree, rest is defense and ability points to get defense. I plan on getting every health node run full evasion. a good chest piece is 1k plus on evasion.

But on that point, I disagree strongly that someone should have to spend 80% of their passive points purely on defense just to be able to play the game.

Agree.

First thing I noticed at OB launch was that the game felt a lot more difficult in a facerolling mobs simply hit like trucks kind of way. Having played for awhile and building quite a few characters and getting them up to 55+, I'm seeing that building full defensive is the only way to go. It's getting to the point that every build I make, I'm simply picking the same defensive nodes up just in different places. out of 70-80 passive points, maybe 10 or so are interchangeable.

I think the desync issue is probably the biggest factor in most deaths, I know it has been in most of mine. When you're getting hit 3 screens away by something you're running from and it's not on screen and you have 65-70% move speed, There's nothing you can do. Hopefully they fix it and can then better balance the game.

"
bhavv wrote:
"
SevSaint wrote:

but he already "played the game." He is just severely undergeared for end game, nobodys fault but his own for not understanding mechanics better imo. I mean come on at lvl 80 the guy doesnt even think to reroll shitty map mods? Im questioning if he's even at 80, you'd think somewhere along the way there would have been an "ah-ha" moment.
IGN@The_Dark_Bookah
Last edited by TheSniz on Feb 16, 2013, 4:15:05 AM
"
Windays wrote:
"
bhavv wrote:
"
SevSaint wrote:

Agree.

First thing I noticed at OB launch was that the game felt a lot more difficult in a facerolling mobs simply hit like trucks kind of way. Having played for awhile and building quite a few characters and getting them up to 55+, I'm seeing that building full defensive is the only way to go. It's getting to the point that every build I make, I'm simply picking the same defensive nodes up just in different places. out of 70-80 passive points, maybe 10 or so are interchangeable.

I think the desync issue is probably the biggest factor in most deaths, I know it has been in most of mine. When you're getting hit 3 screens away by something you're running from and it's not on screen and you have 65-70% move speed, There's nothing you can do. Hopefully they fix it and can then better balance the game.

Well said... You pretty much summed up this entire game.

I'll shorten it up for the ADHD kids who don't like big paragraphs.

SHORT VERSION

Every "class" is the same... Start at Marauder/Templar, get every HP node possible, pick either Ground Slam, Lightning Arrow or Freezing Pulse.

The Passive Tree is a big, pretty, colorful illusion.

AVOID any node that doesn't even you HP... Damage nodes are TRAPS. IT'S A TRAP.

HP NODES... HP NODES... HP NODES...

FIND THE SHORTEST ROUTE TO HP NODES... SHORTEST...

Do not use mana... Mana is for cheesy aura stacking. BM your main skill and leech it.

Play solo... Prepare be frustrated.

Play in a group and afk through everything... Put on a movie or something, you'll be bored. Drop a battery on Q or W or w/e key your skills are on.

There is no melee in this game... It's Ground Slam or GTFO.

No matter how much armor you have... It doesn't matter, armor reduction is broken.

You will desync... You will desync alot... You will die from desyncs... You will die from desyncs alot.
Last edited by StinkFinger on Feb 16, 2013, 4:34:13 AM
"
Sizzlebuzz wrote:

As for map affixes, I don't even pay attention to them, they're blue, more magic, blood magic, extra damage. I believe the map I died in was a elemental equilibrium map.

.... really?

"
Sizzlebuzz wrote:
"
KrO wrote:
Your time is never fully wasted, you are also farming for gear, currency, not just XP. If you feel like you hit a brick wall, getting frustrated then re-roll a new charcter. No need to rush to 100, just take your time dude.

No, I feel like my time was wasted rather. I am farming for one thing, and that is a lioneye bow. The currency I obtain from even a month of farming may not even be enough to get one. The rares I get are never good, and people are always trying to rip people off when it comes to trading. If this isn't time wasted, I don't know what is.

You can farm for a Lioneye bow. Meanwhile, you can be gathering currency to upgrade that Lioneye bow to the way you want it to be. The beauty of currency is that you can get it anywhere. You can get a chaos orb from the first zombie you kill when you wash up on shore. You can get a high quality skill or support gem at level 14 on your way to merveil.
Got 3,2k hp, 5k armor and 800 chained/lmped LA dps. I clear the maps fast but i still have to take care of huge hits. Just get more HP and maybe some damage.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info