High level solo experience grinding is so fun. Dying sucks.

If you think the softcore penalty is too much, wait till you try hardcore!
"

I wouldn't say losing XP bothers me, I've played hardcore and losing my character after 40 levels doesn't bother me. I just delete them because that is the point of hardcore to me. What does bother me and kind of makes the game boring is the inherent necessity to grab every single defensive node you can. It's like 8/10 of the skill tree is mildly pointless.

I keep making characters and it's like I build them with the exact same focus in mind, LIFE. I think a lot of it has to do with the passive tree and how far you have to go to get the required defensive passive's that you need in order to be effective. Maybe putting in more shortcuts in the paths to defensive nodes could be done to alleviate how much traveling around you have to do. I still want there to be tough choices, but there needs to be more flexibility in routes to different area's of the tree so that there is at least some diversity.

I like the difficulty of the game, I just think that passive point investment into effective defensive nodes and talents takes up way too much of your allotted passive points.

"
Windays wrote:
"

I wouldn't say losing XP bothers me, I've played hardcore and losing my character after 40 levels doesn't bother me. I just delete them because that is the point of hardcore to me. What does bother me and kind of makes the game boring is the inherent necessity to grab every single defensive node you can. It's like 8/10 of the skill tree is mildly pointless.

I keep making characters and it's like I build them with the exact same focus in mind, LIFE. I think a lot of it has to do with the passive tree and how far you have to go to get the required defensive passive's that you need in order to be effective. Maybe putting in more shortcuts in the paths to defensive nodes could be done to alleviate how much traveling around you have to do. I still want there to be tough choices, but there needs to be more flexibility in routes to different area's of the tree so that there is at least some diversity.

I like the difficulty of the game, I just think that passive point investment into effective defensive nodes and talents takes up way too much of your allotted passive points.

that is the challenge of the game: to find a nice balance between the number of points spent on defensive and offensive nodes as well as to find defensive/offensive gear good enough to allow you to make the most of those percentage bonuses that the tree provides.

The tree isn't the only thing that makes your character. It's how you utilize it and make the most of it with the gear you have or are planning to get.

If you know what kind of gear to get, what kinds of defensive/offensive mods you're looking for on your gear, it's much easier to build a tree balanced around those and to ensure that you have high defense as well as high offense.
Build of the Week 14
The first Righteous Fire/Non-Shavronne's/Shavronne's HC
Shameless self-proclaimed theory-crafting extraordinaire and forum crusader
Well I think I had enough defensive and offensive skills on my character when I attempted Cruel difficulty Barracks, but I still end up going squish incredibly quickly and cannot solo anything past act 3 cruel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QihUBv_R3EQ

Its a long video, maybe just check the build at the start, then skip to my death at the end and tell me why I died because even I dont know what went wrong there.
(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.
"
bhavv wrote:
"
anotherid wrote:
"
arare wrote:
GGG won't change anything. Game will be for a very niche crowd of gamers.

That's pure stupidity.They are out to make money.Not cater to any niche.

You couldn't be more wrong. GGG are specifically making a hard core game for hardcore players. This game won't ever be being dumbed down for the masses.

They are a small team of 18 developers whose goal is to make an awesome hardcore ARPG, not to make as much money as they possibly can nor to cater to casual gamers.

They still have to eat and support there families presumably?

Don't get me started on 'hardcore' having to repeat the same task over and over does not make a game hardcore it makes it a tedious grind, OK if you are a hamster I guess. Death penalties, ever diminishing progression, grinding for 1000's of orbs to craft items none of it is 'hardcore' nor does it require much skill, it simply requires time to perform the same actions over and over again (grind).

I'm not talking about PoE particularly, I am actually rather enjoying it still with alts still to try. Lasted longer than any other ARPG i have played. Having said that I am acutely aware of the 'ceiling' .

In merciless death penalties due to desync are frustrating, I imagine when you are loosing hours of 'work' to it then all but the 'hardcore' will depart. That's cool you'll all be on first name terms with a community that small.
"
bhavv wrote:
Well I think I had enough defensive and offensive skills on my character when I attempted Cruel difficulty Barracks, but I still end up going squish incredibly quickly and cannot solo anything past act 3 cruel:

Its a long video, maybe just check the build at the start, then skip to my death at the end and tell me why I died because even I dont know what went wrong there.

With regards to your tree: You focused too much on ES nodes and too little on HP nodes for a cruel difficulty build. 800 hp is too little to allow for a sufficient buffer to use flasks. Your gear might be lacking as well.

You died due to desync but you made a few mistakes here and there are improvements you could have made:

1. Judging from your ES, you had quite decent ES gear but because of that you were probably lacking in armour/evasion
2. You're in cruel act3. Where are your granite flasks?
3. You allowed yourself to get surrounded by too many enemies
4. Instead of running back for abit before whirling when you were trying to escape, you whirled away immediately.

The reason you desynced was because one of those blackguards you allowed to surround you hit you and stunned you before you could execute the whirling blades action server side. In other words, you succeeded in whirling away client side but due to the split second lag between server and client, server-side you got stunned which prevented you from carrying out the whirling blade action.

If you had higher HP, you would have had a lower chance of being stunned and hence desyncing.

If you had higher ar/ev, you would have had a lower chance of being stunned and hence desyncing.

If you had a granite to pop, you would have been able to tank them and kill those blackguards or at least have a lower chance of being stunned and hence desyncing.

hope that helps
Build of the Week 14
The first Righteous Fire/Non-Shavronne's/Shavronne's HC
Shameless self-proclaimed theory-crafting extraordinaire and forum crusader
It makes it almost impossible to solo boss in Merc, i'd be fine partying up with people if they just make the loot duration longer before someone else could ninja
"
BlowFish wrote:

They still have to eat and support there families presumably?

Don't get me started on 'hardcore' having to repeat the same task over and over does not make a game hardcore it makes it a tedious grind, OK if you are a hamster I guess. Death penalties, ever diminishing progression, grinding for 1000's of orbs to craft items none of it is 'hardcore' nor does it require much skill, it simply requires time to perform the same actions over and over again (grind).

I'm not talking about PoE particularly, I am actually rather enjoying it still with alts still to try. Lasted longer than any other ARPG i have played. Having said that I am acutely aware of the 'ceiling' .

In merciless death penalties due to desync are frustrating, I imagine when you are loosing hours of 'work' to it then all but the 'hardcore' will depart. That's cool you'll all be on first name terms with a community that small.

Are you daft? Hardcore =/= Less income. Use your brain, this kind of game is supposed to be full of grind. The company is called 'Grinding Gear Games', and thats what you do in ARPGs, you GRIND, GRIND, GRIND!

This kind of gameplay is fun and addictive to a lot of people, and those people dont want this to change in the slightest to cater to those who dont like it.

The actual game overview on this website says:

"
Path of Exile is an online Action RPG set in the dark fantasy world of Wraeclast. We're a small independent team of hardcore gamers based in New Zealand and have created Path of Exile as the game that we'd want to play ourselves. It is designed around a strong barter-based online item economy, deep character customisation, competitive PvP and ladder races. The game is completely free and will never be "pay to win". Path of Exile is currently in Open Beta! If you'd like to play, just create an account.

If you dont like that, then this game isnt for you. There are plenty enough people who want this game exactly as it currently, but with some balancing changes done to it. The griding requirement however does not need to be changed and never will be changed, stop expecting every RPG out there to be as simplistic and catered to morons as WoW is.
(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.
"
Invalesco wrote:
"
bhavv wrote:

With regards to your tree: You focused too much on ES nodes and too little on HP nodes for a cruel difficulty build. 800 hp is too little to allow for a sufficient buffer to use flasks. Your gear might be lacking as well.

You died due to desync but you made a few mistakes here and there are improvements you could have made:

1. Judging from your ES, you had quite decent ES gear but because of that you were probably lacking in armour/evasion
2. You're in cruel act3. Where are your granite flasks?
3. You allowed yourself to get surrounded by too many enemies
4. Instead of running back for abit before whirling when you were trying to escape, you whirled away immediately.

The reason you desynced was because one of those blackguards you allowed to surround you hit you and stunned you before you could execute the whirling blades action server side. In other words, you succeeded in whirling away client side but due to the split second lag between server and client, server-side you got stunned which prevented you from carrying out the whirling blade action.

If you had higher HP, you would have had a lower chance of being stunned and hence desyncing.

If you had higher ar/ev, you would have had a lower chance of being stunned and hence desyncing.

If you had a granite to pop, you would have been able to tank them and kill those blackguards or at least have a lower chance of being stunned and hence desyncing.

hope that helps

Energy shield is HP, I dont see how you expect player to spend everysingle passive point into both HP and ES. Plus I'm kind of planning to take CI on this build. You cant afford to build both HP and ES if you still want to have damage nodes as well. ES and Evasion nodes should be a perfectly fine alternative to stacking HP.

The gear I have is full Evasion + ES hybrid gear intended for the shadow class, I dont understand why it shouldnt suffice with all the nullification and ES passives:

All of it has increased stun block and stun recovery too.

- PoE TOS.
Last edited by bhavv on Feb 16, 2013, 8:27:04 AM
... Yea, the desyncs piss me off too... I'll just move to another game and hope they fix it sometime soon. Not much point playing with the desyncs.
Kiwi Devs, Kiwi game. Awesome! I'll support the game any way I can.
With years of game experience/knowledge, I hope I can offer something to the game.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info