Puzzling defense.

well himivates cold dmg isnt gonna be what it seems. like most of my characters dmg is lightning from auras and gear. but if you test that res against the ice spear does it prevent most the damge?
IGN- Isiander
Just to clarify:
I asked this thread to be made
'coz I can't answer.

This board has experts
on the damage mechanics.
I am far from that.
Currently playing on:
Ps5 - - Predecessor, Warhammer 40k Inquisitor, Dungeon Encounters, Assassins Creed Origins, Deep Rock Galactic/Remnant 2 (MP w mates);
Tablet - - Buriedbornes 2, Dawncaster, Loop Hero, Fate GO;
and,
PC - - Word and winamp ~_^
"
Charan wrote:
Just to clarify:
I asked this thread to be made
'coz I can't answer.

This board has experts
on the damage mechanics.
I am far from that.

Thanks Charan.

-Just to sum things up for new readers.

Im not interesting to 'winning' all my 1v1 matches - id make a viper toon for that. Im simply wanting to understand defense in this game. I appears no matter how much resistance I stack, in the current match-up ive found little to no difference at all. Hp and regen have helped me more then any resistance ever could.

If this is intended, Id like it confirmed.

If im on drugs and lost my mind, then let me know, ill call get a padded room ready.
"
Barnabas wrote:
Because ive got 110% resistance to cold, when Himavat drops my cold resistance by 40%, ive still got 70% resistance to cold.
I'd like to point out that this is impossible. The max amount of resistances you can possibly have in this game is 99%.

75% Resistance Cap
+5% from Elemental Adaptation
+5% from Saffel's Frame (5% Cold only from Aegis Aurora or Kaltenhalt)
+10% from Resistance Flasks
+4% from Purity

75 + 5 + 5 + 10 + 4 = 99

So... when you say you have 110% and Himavat drops your resistance by 40%.. what's really happening is that you have 75%-99% resistance (because it's capped, you can never have more than the cap) and then Himavat brings it down to 35%-59% Resistance.

Last edited by FaceLicker on Jan 6, 2013, 7:35:58 AM
"
FaceLicker wrote:
"
Barnabas wrote:
Because ive got 110% resistance to cold, when Himavat drops my cold resistance by 40%, ive still got 70% resistance to cold.
I'd like to point out that this is impossible. The max amount of resistances you can possibly have in this game is 99%.

75% Resistance Cap
+5% from Elemental Adaptation
+5% from Saffel's Frame (5% Cold only from Aegis Aurora or Kaltenhalt)
+10% from Resistance Flasks
+4% from Purity

75 + 5 + 5 + 10 + 4 = 99

So... when you say you have 110% and Himavat drops your resistance by 40%.. what's really happening is that you have 75%-99% resistance (because it's capped, you can never have more than the cap) and then Himavat brings it down to 35%-59% Resistance.

Id like you to chat with Hexatase who recommends i should get 133%.

Im not taking sides, just wanting to hear some truth.
"
Barnabas wrote:
Id like you to chat with Hexatase who recommends i should get 133%.

Im not taking sides, just wanting to hear some truth.
Mark_GGG has an excellent post on how max resistances actually work and how penetration and elemental curses work in relation to max resistances.. I'll see if I can find it for you.

Basically though.. you can never ever have more resistance than your cap. If your cap is 75% but you have 1000% from gear, your actual resistance is 75%. If at that point someone uses a curse on you and lowers your resistance by 40%, you will then be left with 35%. Your resistance will not be 960% capped at 75%. Any amount of resistance over your cap is completely wasted UNLESS you raise the cap again, up to a maximum of 99%. Therefore, any amount of resistance over 99% is worthless.

Last edited by FaceLicker on Jan 6, 2013, 7:53:12 AM
"
Barnabas wrote:
Problem is all three of us are immune to stuns.

Another problem is having 110% resist to cold, and a player using max cold + frost bite + cold penetration totally chewing through my defense.

My toon is biased to have higher elemental resistance, which means my dps isnt anywhere near that of Himavat or ChaosBrand. Ive traded my dps for defense, but my defense is 100% ignored.

Huge question Charan, if my toon has such gigantic cold resistance, shouldnt i be bouncing his dps off?

*Ill add a few more interesting factor into my original post.

I don't know if this has been stated or not yet, but I'm pretty sure elemental penetration gem's don't care about your stacked resist, only your max resist.

So if you have 110% cold resist, but only 75 max resist, a 40% cold penetration gem would make your cold res 35%.

Edit: Facelicker beat me to it. :(
Last edited by Porkeh on Jan 6, 2013, 7:54:40 AM
Thanks Facelick and Porkeh for you help.

To me it -feels- like elemental dps is very strong, and it seems hard to defend myself against elemental dps, especially lighting shadow players due to their fast nature. Only things i can think of are, avoiding the effects of elemental attacks, and max hp and regen. Getting maxed resistance is fairly easy, but reducing resistance is even easier.

It feels the dps is making pvp very top heavy, apart from players using viper + block + traps. Block is king for tanking, but in terms of players wanting to be tanky using a balance of resistance, hp and regen, it feels that getting resistance is pointless?

My impression of resistance was that getting them would be a direct strong defense against that type of dps. But it feels pointless, and hp regen is far stronger. Seems easy to get a strong element, max it with curse and penetration, and hit someone a few times till they pop. So what is the most effective way to defend this?
Last edited by Barnabas on Jan 6, 2013, 8:31:53 AM
Ive just tested the theory about 75% being the max, and it's not true.

Just used frost bite on my toon, and 75% didnt change, since ive got 132% cold resistance.
"
Barnabas wrote:
Ive just tested the theory about 75% being the max, and it's not true.

Just used frost bite on my toon, and 75% didnt change, since ive got 132% cold resistance.
For penetration gems, they only consider your capped resist, so it is very much true. I assumed it worked the same way for the elemental curses. Apparently not. In which case, you can apply everything I said to just ele penetration.
Last edited by FaceLicker on Jan 6, 2013, 9:44:52 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info