(28) 1v1s

"
Barry wrote:
Oh please you made your first level 28 char today and got rocked, don't act like your opinions matter here. The only unique from your list that is strong are Wake of Destruction boots, which are only important for melee dps builds. Wakes are useless to casters and 2h users.

I find it funny that you think the unique item selection is too strong yet you apparently have no clue what people are even using.

The Magnate, Blackheart and Shiversting are legitimately awful items for pvp.

Zero defense to chaos? Would you like me to go CI? Because that's the only defense to chaos that there is in this game apart from a level 53 unique helm that gives 15% resistance. Please continue pretending you understand this game.

My first toon i made 4 days ago, level 46 one 35. Made a 28 only toon yesterday for PvP. Sorry Barry, try again.

Barry, lets get something straight, people who feel the need to critise others are usually always weaker. Sit on my lap, and let me, Dr Phil talk you through your problems.

You see Barry, i made this post talking about PvP balance, not E-peens. I made a comment that Unique gear (or LEGENDARY) can have a major in-pack in 1v1s.

If you would like to continue your gutter mouth talk, im sure i can provide ear plugs.

OR, lets spar in game?

QueenAce and Caffelon had some nice builds. Both using traps, QueenAce using poison arrow and Caffelon using Ice pulse.
Last edited by Barnabas on Dec 30, 2012, 8:41:17 PM
If you made your first character 4 days ago you should better learn about mechanics first and don't expect to win vs players that got finished builds for months.

My level 28 HC PVP shadow had got quiet good items and yet I do poorly vs viper strikers.
And my HC PVP shadow does 2.5k damage dual strike and most of it can be reduced with resists and the remaining 300 physical damage hits can be reduced with granites.

"
Total rubbish comments. Explain to me how someoene can one shot me with 600 health and your comment is, get 300 more? And gear ISNT a factor? Piiish.

Elemental damage and you had no resists. Even if you use white rings you can easily find out what kind of elemental damage is the main source of damage.
I give you a hint: It's lightning.
level 28 PVP characters have got from 900-1500 HP(Maradeurs and Templars)

Then you need following flasks
Unavailable

Even if you pushed resists you will be cursed with elemental weakness and some players will curse you with conductivity too because the use doedres.
Also this is the only chance to reduce chaos damage because you will most likely get 1 or 2 curses(Vul and Temp chains)
But instant recovery on low life mod is the most important one.
1 Granite flask is enough.
You can do much more on defense.

"
Take a good look at some of the unique gear. ALL i repeat ALL of the unique gear is based around low level. So to say that a rare level 28 item can compete with 2-3 linked unique items is simply showing your ignorance.

Here a simple example. Stats, Life and Mana:
Unavailable

Stats life and Res.
Unavailable

"
Linking skills has nothing to do with other players having the ability to one shot you. When a player has unique items which allow more dps, more avoidance, faster attacks, vs other players who cannot match these items UNLESS they also have unique items is based off gear.

It makes a huge difference.

Here a cheap example of a Viper Strike build.
Get following gems:
Viper Strike linked with increased duration.
Bear Trap linked added lightning, added fire and increased critical damage.
Hatred,Clarity
Conversion Trap
Whirling Blades
Flicker Strike
Tempest shield
Vulnerability and Temp Chains.
Cold Snap

A 1.7 attack speed sword best with speed mod may be blue, the faster the better.
Then get a evasion shield with 32% block.
Other items should be optimized on socket colors some resists and life.

Test easiest class that doesn't need many stat items is the ranger.

As Ranger you got 2 choices for builds.
Lifebased Viperstrike:Here

Or speed and block based:Here

Socket colors are more important than the items.

The strategy is easy. Cast Tempest Shield and Clarity(Hatred if you don't have got mana problems and the enemy needs to take damage from bear traps)
Cast Temporal Chains on your enemy.
Flicker Strike your enemy and hit him 4 times with viper strike.
Use whirling blades to escape and cast vulnerability.
Throw a conversion trap if the enemies follows you.
Usually the enemy dies or has to drink.

If the enemy uses bear trap to prevent flickering cast Cast Cold snap to chill the enemy and destroy the trap.
If the enemy is attacking faster trap positions close to you.

Did you suddenly become good in level 28 PVP because you win duels?
No you just use a simple build with overpowered gems.
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
Nice post Hilbert, thanks for the useful info.

Had a chat to Barry about his build as well, interesting. I personally prefer a core basic old school style of average evade/mit/resist. But this isnt viable for pvp at all. Spending skill points into hp seems far greater then points into armor, i understand the maths behind it, but dont understand why hp is designed to be far greater then armor. If ive got low hp but high evasion and mits, it's usually balanced, but stun factors and increase to critical hits plays a role in terms of hp.

Since this was my style vs Barrys lighting shadow, the addition to dmg caused me to get killed in one hit, whereas in other duels it appears in very tanky. The curve appears very steep in PoE, not complaining, but it's what it's.

I'm quiet interested in how devs ill balance casters and rangers, as they seem too easy to kill?
Armor only helps to certain degree, for more armor you need enduring cry or granite flasks.
Enduring Cry may be used in high level pvp.

Evasion is broken that's all. That's why you either go towards ES or Iron Reflexes.
Acrobatics and Phase Acrobatics are really risky and don't prevent all damage sources.

Not to mention nobody takes accuracy nodes since base accuracy is high, there is resolute technique and dex provides enough AC.

"
I'm quiet interested in how devs ill balance casters and rangers, as they seem too easy to kill?

Block with Tempest shield.
Iron Reflexes, Granite Flasks....

"
Since this was my style vs Barrys lighting shadow, the addition to dmg caused me to get killed in one hit, whereas in other duels it appears in very tanky. The curve appears very steep in PoE, not complaining, but it's what it's.

You play Default it's rather rare to find better PVPer that don't rely on common Viperstrike, Beartrap builds.
Try zi0 for example he PVPs on HC and Default and he got quiet decent level 28 characters, which don't rely on common skills.

On HC you can simply ask in global for a duel, but you will most likely get 1-2 shot without fighting against common builds(of course the common ones are stronger but that's the same case in normal PVP and race characters too) but in HC it's already considered bad bannered if you go for Viper Strike+ BearTrap.
Also in HC you can High Level PVP without being butchered because most HC players got quiet defensive tanky builds.

When you say Tanky, your basically saying most classes are running with a shield or a high chance to block, true?
No that means in HC you will barely meet glass cannons, such as in default videos.

For example the Dual Vaal map video is a glass cannon build. 20% elemental reflect and they would have died, same goes for hits.

In HC most builds are made in a way that they can take heavy hits.

"
Hilbert wrote:
No that means in HC you will barely meet glass cannons, such as in default videos.

For example the Dual Vaal map video is a glass cannon build. 20% elemental reflect and they would have died, same goes for hits.

In HC most builds are made in a way that they can take heavy hits.

Thanks for your help Hilbert. If i could trouble you for some additions info, would be greatly appreciated.

Ive taken your advice and others on board in building a 2h sword duelist. My goal is to bypass block style players using Deft blade, and HS to push back other 2h heavy hitters and super fast duel wield shadows. Im using unwavering stance as well.

--In terms of defense:

Hp- 921
Armor - 33% but usually 67% with armor pots and molten for the fist few hits.
Mits - 105% lighting, 85% cold 65% fire
Regen - 14.2

I do understand im running with no avoidance and no block, however i do not understand the dps conversion when it seems i should have more then enough mitigation to weather elemental attacks?

Played vs a 2h duelist using maxed frost with staff, using Glacial Hammer. His base cold dps is rated at 1k, and i even swapped to higher cold mit rings putting me around 100%+, yet he plowed through me very fast. I was pretty much hanging around 30% or less hp spamming instant pots to get more game time. Id die in around 3-4 hits, his dps in increased greatly by his high attack speed, which is understandable, but im at a loss in terms of mitigating his dps.

Vs a shadow using lighting damage, it was the same case - his duel strike ripped me apart.

The only thing i can think of is the peak dps calculated vs my max hp pool, and because my hp is considered low compared to the dmg, my mitigation is ignored?

--In terms of dps
I personally feel the 2h unique hammer is making all other 2h weapons unusable (apart from frost staff) due to the dps being so huge. The best 2h sword i could find is rated level 27 63-106, whereas the hammer is 131-200. Ive fought players using this hammer and won quiet easily due to my ability to stun and knock-back, until they swap gear to prevent stuns then they faceroll me.
Im not crying bc my dps is so low, but i wonder if it's even possible to find a 28 2h sword which can match a 1k cold staff or Voll's Baptism.
Because the dps is so huge in the case of Frost staff and Voll's Baptism, im forced to try someway to defend against the damage. But I wonder if it's impossiable to defend unless I get block?
It's obvious ive got no avoidance, and it makes total sense that im getting hit hard, but im trying to find out how to mitigate just a little more of the dps with my current style. Im personally not interested in big-hits-faceroll style, if i were id get a Voll's Baptism lol.

My conclusion atm is, ill need frenzy to attack twice as fast before i get into melee, and use my high accuracy and speed to overpower them before im hit 3 times, or use 10k armor pots. I personally dont like using those pots because im not interested in winning spars at any cost, im interested in the dynamics of the game and ability to understand burst damage and how to best mitigate it in my current style.
I feel that maybe the game isnt balanced in 28 spars, due to high burst? Ive heard a shadow has 4k dps, so i wonder if it's even possible to mitigate that dps?

Your insight would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Barnabas on Jan 1, 2013, 7:58:50 PM
"

Played vs a 2h duelist using maxed frost with staff, using Glacial Hammer. His base cold dps is rated at 1k, and i even swapped to higher cold mit rings putting me around 100%+, yet he plowed through me very fast.

There is a support gem named Cold to Fire. It's not very useful in PvM but in PVP it's used to trick players.

You need situational items in your inventory, such as granites, ruby, sapphire and topaz flasks if you don't have got good rings.
Shadows tend to use Diamond Flasks, so conversion and bear traps do a good job to receive 2-3 crit. hits with increased multiplier.

Considering 1h weapons, beside ungils there are some but they are rare.
Unavailable

I got one for level 22 with 120 max dmg on Legacy, when I ripped a duelist before migration.
But you have to do quiet some cruel brutus/merveil/thicket runs to find those.

"
Hilbert wrote:
"

Played vs a 2h duelist using maxed frost with staff, using Glacial Hammer. His base cold dps is rated at 1k, and i even swapped to higher cold mit rings putting me around 100%+, yet he plowed through me very fast.

There is a support gem named Cold to Fire. It's not very useful in PvM but in PVP it's used to trick players.

You need situational items in your inventory, such as granites, ruby, sapphire and topaz flasks if you don't have got good rings.
Shadows tend to use Diamond Flasks, so conversion and bear traps do a good job to receive 2-3 crit. hits with increased multiplier.

Considering 1h weapons, beside ungils there are some but they are rare.
Unavailable

I got one for level 22 with 120 max dmg on Legacy, when I ripped a duelist before migration.
But you have to do quiet some cruel brutus/merveil/thicket runs to find those.

Fair enough, some good ideas, especially against high burst shadows, i should prob always carry one on me. Only question would be relation to granites, it comes across that whoever has more pots will win in my match-up vs another 2h. So i guess this is just the curse using a 2h, use pots, or someone with a bigger hammer will smash my face in?

In terms of weapon, ive got level 27 with 84% inc damage - i dont know if it's possible to get another dmg increasing stat which would make a difference.

So to increase my confusion on dps and resistances. Sparing against Spark Templar is interesting, with my 110% lighting resist which is reduced by curse and gems, ill still die very quickly. The best defense ive got is cursing him with -27% attack speed, until he becomes immune to curses. Because hes got the anti stun amulet, im at a disadvantage, and would probably win easily if i could stun, but i dont care about winning.

With these things occurring, im finding it hard to get my head around resistances and how powerful or useful they actually are. It seems having high cold vs frost, or lighting vs spark, or lighting vs shadow players isnt helping -at all-. I really dont understand it at all. Ive buffed my hp to 1085, which makes little difference it feels. Really feels like unless you can block, resistances and armor is useless?

Thoughts?
Last edited by Barnabas on Jan 1, 2013, 11:10:27 PM
"
Fair enough, some good ideas, especially against high burst shadows, i should prob always carry one on me. Only question would be relation to granites, it comes across that whoever has more pots will win in my match-up vs another 2h. So i guess this is just the curse using a 2h, use pots, or someone with a bigger hammer will smash my face in?

Heavily depends on skill gems.

If you use several curses or double curse you enemy and flicker then trap and hit him you will win drain his pots or win.
It's more about timing.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info