Path of Exile on Linux, 3.19

"
Pangaearocks wrote:
Do you guys still get it running,

Yes.
"
Pangaearocks wrote:
also after the changes they made for the 3.22 league?
Yes.

IME its easy to somehow mess up a system so that PoE doesnt run properly (if at all) anymore. And its much much easier to do a reinstall than to fix a messed up system. What I did roughly:

1. Install Ubuntu 22.04. (Note that I dont like Ubuntu anymore due to how hard it is to disable automatic update stuff. Its like they are trying to make Windows-as-Linux with Ubuntu. Next time I will try some other Linux like Mint.)

2. Make sure sound works using the sound output for PoE. Omitting this step caused one of those mentioned screwed up systems.

3. Install all the stuff. You probably should copy the newest commands from the linked site instead though.

Spoiler
source: https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo mkdir -pm755 /etc/apt/keyrings
sudo wget -O /etc/apt/keyrings/winehq-archive.key https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key
sudo wget -NP /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/dists/jammy/winehq-jammy.sources
sudo apt update
sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable

source: https://github.com/lutris/docs/blob/master/InstallingDrivers.md
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kisak/kisak-mesa && sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 && sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade && sudo apt install libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 mesa-vulkan-drivers mesa-vulkan-drivers:i386

download lutris https://lutris.net/downloads

sudo apt install ./lutris_0.5.12_all.deb

https://lutris.net/games/path-of-exile/
install standalone
No wonder it's lost, it's in the middle of the jungle!
"
Zrevnur wrote:
"
Pangaearocks wrote:
Do you guys still get it running,

Yes.
"
Pangaearocks wrote:
also after the changes they made for the 3.22 league?
Yes.

This should work, good post.
Using Lutris makes things very easy, because you can try different Wine versions if one should stop working after a patch.

Steam might also work well.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
The recipe above is nice and all, but it's basically just how to install Lutris/Wine. My system isn't messed up either. Everything else works fine, and I haven't made any changes since POE worked last league. It managed to update fine to the current league (downloaded+installed around 5GB), but it doesn't launch. I suspect it somehow fails to recognise a graphics card, and then crashes with the quoted error message.

I posted a bug report about it on the Heroic discord server. No helpful replies yet, but it was worth a shot.

Ofc I can try to install it in Lutris again too, but like I said, I've had better experiences with Heroic lately.

But who knows. Maybe whatever changes GGG made this league means I can no longer even run the game on the GTX 770 card I have. It's old ofc, but it DID work last league. And when it can Witcher 3 fine on pretty decent settings, a game like POE ought to work as well.

Thankfully Path of Building works fine via Wine/Lutris/Heroic. Wish it was supported natively tho, that would have been swell.
"
Pangaearocks wrote:
The recipe above is nice and all, but it's basically just how to install Lutris/Wine. My system isn't messed up either. Everything else works fine, and I haven't made any changes since POE worked last league. It managed to update fine to the current league (downloaded+installed around 5GB), but it doesn't launch. I suspect it somehow fails to recognise a graphics card, and then crashes with the quoted error message.

I posted a bug report about it on the Heroic discord server. No helpful replies yet, but it was worth a shot.

Ofc I can try to install it in Lutris again too, but like I said, I've had better experiences with Heroic lately.

But who knows. Maybe whatever changes GGG made this league means I can no longer even run the game on the GTX 770 card I have. It's old ofc, but it DID work last league. And when it can Witcher 3 fine on pretty decent settings, a game like POE ought to work as well.

Thankfully Path of Building works fine via Wine/Lutris/Heroic. Wish it was supported natively tho, that would have been swell.

I used to run my games through Lutris but switched to Steam with Proton Experimental. It just makes things easy.

As far as troubleshooting your situation, run Heroic/Poe from a terminal. With any luck, you''ll find the reason the game won't start.

As Far as PoB is concerned, I use the Flatpak
"
Pangaearocks wrote:

You should be able to build if from source on linux.
Or use the Flatpak.
Or just keep using wine (including Steam's proton). You need it for PoE anyway.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
"
Pangaearocks wrote:

Yeah I guess they changed something. I now have long loading freezes which I didn't have before and it drives me nuts. Not very playable at the moment :/
I just started using Linux Mint ( Mate ) and it is a breeze.

If anyone finding this thread asking themselves if Linux can be good for a gaming Computer, yes. Valve really cooked with Proton, it often runs better than windows even if its not a Linux game on its own.

Just download mate, Install it and update your kernel as a first move. You can find the prompts on forums easily.

Download a game in Steam, or add a game in steam and activate Proton with an right click on the game in your bib, select Properties and go to Compatibility,
"Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool" and select the latest not experimental Proton version.
You are done. If you experience some issues like sprites not loading etc switch the version arround, sometimes Experimental could be the thing you are looking for but I run everything on 9.0-2 as the time of writing this ( latest not experimental one ).

Even if its native supportet, sometimes proton could be a better choice!

Linux does not support many RGB options for your PC / mouse / keyboard, but some of it.
Linux has many alternatives for some programs but not all of them.

I use Linux Mint privately since the announcement of Windows Recap and I love how I AM THE OWNER of the machine I bought again, that was something Windows allways rubbed into my brain if I wanted to do something it doesnt want.

I use Linux on work too, but my experience with it was abysmal, you can do it too!
Arch Linux, Proton. Mint is ok, especially if you have migrated from Bloatsoft Losedows. At some you'll discover patched kernels dedicated to specific prjects. It's another 5-20% FPS boost. Glad to see you in the club.
Last edited by cursorTarget on Jul 24, 2024, 1:43:09 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info