Path of Exile on Linux, 3.19

I had searched but I couldn't find recent information about running PoE on Linux, so here's a summary for those also hitting Google with the same query.

Summary: Path of Exile 3.19 can run perfectly fine on Linux. But, you can not use the regular vanilla version of Wine to do so, you will get horrible, unplayable stuttering whenever something loads. Don't even try it, that version of Wine clearly isn't optimized for gaming.

What we need are the patches applied to the Steam's version of Wine, called Proton. You can run Steam or, alternatively, if you don't like Steam, you can grab the version of Wine where Steam's patches have been applied, called Wine-GE. You can easily install it as a "runner" in Lutris, or run it standalone (if you know what you are doing).

To run PoE, you can either grab the whole "Grinding Gear Games/Path of Exile" from a Windows partition/disk, or run the installer. Note that the PoE installer is a 32 bits program, so if you fancy compiling your own kernels, don't disable running 32 bits binaries in it.

As for smoothness, it maintains a very steady 60 fps on my machine, even in all end-game content (crazy blight maps, and so on). That metric is on a high-end server (a dual-Epyc with GTX 3080), but you'll get even better results on a regular gaming machine (PoE has no use for 64 or 128 cores, it needs few but fast cores). Obviously, pick the Vulkan renderer, so all commands are sent directly to your drivers without any translation.

There is one thing that doesn't appear to be preloaded nor loaded asynchronously in PoE: some voice clips, like the voices of Legion bosses when they appear. If you store your data on old spinning hard drives, like me, you can avoid that rare 0.2 second stuttering by preloading Content.ggpk in the operating system's file system cache (assuming you have >=32Gb of RAM). A little command like:
"
grep foobar Content.ggpk
will do, to be run in the directory where PoE was installed (grep searches the whole file for the string "foobar", which we don't care about; the point is to read the whole file so it's still in the file system cache when PoE reads from it later).

That's all folks, PoE runs perfectly on Linux for those interested.
Last bumped on Jul 24, 2024, 1:42:56 AM
steam > proton or just use proton instead if "steam bad" or something sheesh
"
StragusPoE wrote:
Summary: Path of Exile 3.19 can run perfectly fine on Linux. But, you can not use the regular vanilla version of Wine to do so, you will get horrible, unplayable stuttering whenever something loads.

Can you explain this a bit more?

Context: I am using some Lutris version based on the Lutris website. I did not knowingly install anything with Proton. Performance with shader cache filled(*) is ok. Performance early in league (Shader cache needs building first) when first encountering certain game mechanics like Harvest is very bad. Once I have done those game mechanics a few times this problem goes away.

So with your "Wine-GE" (or Proton which I dont want to use) - do you have smooth gameplay even if shader chache (*) hasnt been built yet?

(*) I am assuming shader cache not built is the reason. It could be something else though.
No wonder it's lost, it's in the middle of the jungle!
It is perfectly smooth here, yes, if I fill the file system cache (in spare RAM) with PoE's Contents.pkgg file before playing.

In your case, the fact that it only occurs at the beginning of a league would suggest it is indeed the shader cache... Perhaps a more optimized Wine version would help.

If you want to try installing "Wine-ge" in Lutris, just grab a precompiled release:
https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/wine-ge-custom/releases
and unpack it into "~/.local/share/lutris/runners", you should then be able to select it as runner.
Last edited by StragusPoE on Sep 8, 2022, 9:10:40 AM
"
StragusPoE wrote:
It is perfectly smooth here, yes, if I fill the file system cache (in spare RAM) with PoE's Contents.pkgg file before playing.

In your case, the fact that it only occurs at the beginning of a league would suggest it is indeed the shader cache... Perhaps a more optimized Wine version would help.

If you want to try installing "Wine-ge" in Lutris, just grab a precompiled release:
https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/wine-ge-custom/releases
and unpack it into "~/.local/share/lutris/runners", you should then be able to select it as runner.

Ok, thanks for answer.
Bumping this thread just to give my feedback on linux, Im using cachyos, ( archlinux ) and my performance with steam/poe is great. Foudn this thread while searching if it is possible to run ggg client in linux ahah
"
Fabiofun1986 wrote:
Foudn this thread while searching if it is possible to run ggg client in linux ahah
Im running no-Steam Lutris (new system installation, same hardware) and it works. Has some issues though, no idea if that has anything to do with Linux, other players probably with Windows systems report similar problems. Issues like with Shader gfx lag upon entering new map and activating Delirium & Legion. It will gfx-lag for some time, probably programming/design failure. Similar Blight with many mobs.
"
Zrevnur wrote:
"
Fabiofun1986 wrote:
Foudn this thread while searching if it is possible to run ggg client in linux ahah
Im running no-Steam Lutris (new system installation, same hardware) and it works. Has some issues though, no idea if that has anything to do with Linux, other players probably with Windows systems report similar problems. Issues like with Shader gfx lag upon entering new map and activating Delirium & Legion. It will gfx-lag for some time, probably programming/design failure. Similar Blight with many mobs.

Do you have nvidia or amd gpu?
"
Fabiofun1986 wrote:
"
Zrevnur wrote:
"
Fabiofun1986 wrote:

Do you have nvidia or amd gpu?

AMD cpu & gpu.
Tried to get it running on Linux, but it doesn't any more. I was able to launch it and look around a bit last league, so this is a little odd. I'm launching it via Heroic game launcher, due to having better experiences with that than Lutris lately.

It briefly checks for updates (downloaded 5 GB yesterday), and then crashes with an error message. Can't attach pictures here, but it goes like this:

"
vk::PhysicalDevice::createDeviceUnique:
ErrorFeatureNotPresent

Do you guys still get it running, also after the changes they made for the 3.22 league? That's the only thing I can think of, due to it working last league.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info